Upgrading Monitor

Discussion in 'hardware' started by LenC, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I have a 5-year old Dell desktop that keeps chugging along - running windows XP Home SP3.

I'd like to get a larger monitor. The monitor I have now is 17 inch "square" analog flat screen. If I upgrade to a 19 inch "widescreen", would that be a problem? I ask because a friend of mine did something similar and had two vertical black bars appearing on each side of the monitor - making his widescreen look like a square.o_O

Thanks,
    Len

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

It shouldn't be a problem i had an old desktop with a radeon 9000 gfx card from 2002 running on a new dell 22" widescreen. Your friend might not have the correct driver installed for his monitor which can result in an incorrect display.
    Be aware that running a higher resolution screen requires the gfx card to work harder so performance may suffer if its not up to the task.

3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Farmerlee -

Thank you for your advice - especially about my old and feeble graphics card.

Len

4. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

5. SecurRob

SecurRob Registered Member

I would be a problem if you don't have a video card that can support widescreen.

6. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

If you can run a widescreen I definitely recommend it. I went from a Dell 1907FP 19" to an Acer AL2216W 22" wide screen a couple of weeks ago. Then I got to thinking since my ATI has two DVI outputs why not use both monitors? I got a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800 so I watch TV on one screen and browse the web in another :D Also widescreen gives you "peripheral vision" in FPS games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.