Upgrade problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by bajan, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bajan

bajan Registered Member

Hi - I received an email from Eset to renew, which I did. Firstly, instead of being able to buy a licence for 2 computers I had to buy for 3 (which by the way worked out cheaper). I uninstalled Eset through add/remove programs (Note: I did not know I shouldn't be doing that, that I should have used the uninstall that comes with Eset). Anyway, I then downloaded the New Version, everything went fine until I got to the "removing backup files" section. I waited for about 30 mins and it just "hung" there. Then I decided to switch my computer off, restarted and lo and behold Eset started no problem, I even updated. This morning when I turned my computer on, Eset came up with an error saying that the firewall wasn't working. Also, Eset was not in my 'Start, Program Files'. To find it I had to go into My Computer, Program Files. Eset said I should uninstall it and re-install. After much searching I found the uninstall link on this site. I have now tried to reinstall it and it hangs after about 3 minutes. My query - is there anyone who can help me with this problem please? Sorry this is such a long post.... Please note I also have Netgear, could this be a problem? Thanks.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. bajan

bajan Registered Member

Hi - Yes that was how I was able to uninstall Eset initially. Now when I try to reinstall new version it just hangs....

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

No error message or anything? It just hangs until you restart or ...?

5. bajan

bajan Registered Member

Hi Cudni - thanks for giving me the link to contact customer care. I have resolved the problem. When I connected to Customer Care I discovered that I could download earlier versions of Eset. What I didn't know was that they had 32bit and 64bit versions. Anyway, I downloaded Version 4.0.474.0 (32 bit) and presto it downloaded no problem and even updated. I don't know whether when I renewed my licences the link they sent me was wrong (it didn't state whether it was a 32bit link or 64bit link) or if there is a bug in the new Version. Just thankful that all is now working well. I am not game to try and update to the new version just in case....:doubt:

6. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=277039

My Thread above Duplicates your Entire experience EXCEPT that My Install Freeze at Removing BkUp Files FORCES a Hard Shutdown - my entire computer Locks-Up at that point. I first had another issue, as well.

Living off 4.0.74 doesn't sound right. There needs to be a Current 4.2.58 Resolution. Earlier Version Dnloads DO NOT OFFER ANYTHING in 4.2 - Why not? 4.2.40 Worked FINE for me!

FYI

7. bajan

bajan Registered Member

Hi again

Well I thought I had resolved this problem a few days ago. However, I have been struggling with it since. As stated in my earlier posts I was able to download an earlier version and it all worked fine. However, every time I turn the computer off and restart the next morning Eset does not work, it comes up with "error communicating with kernel". I have uninstalled and reinstalled approximately 7 times now. I contacted ESET support who told me to uninstall and reinstall the "new" version. I tried this again as well and it "hung" on "removing backup files". I have sent another email to support but no reply as yet. I have had to resort to download AVG Free just so I could use the internet. I really am at my wits end as to what to do now. I have paid for 3 licences and do not really want to switch to another Antivirus.

Is it possible that I have a file missing somewhere within Windows that may be causing the problem? Has anyone got any ideas that I could try?

8. COSMO26

With only two of us complaining about this same issue I doubt we'll get Priority attention.

Two Customer Request attempts via the 90%-installed Application (frozen at "Removing Backup Files) have produced No Replies, although the last DID give me a page stating I'd get a Confirmation Email - which Never Came.

I'm XP Media Ctr (which I think is regarded as XP Pro). What is your OS?

9. COSMO26

My Install Freeze Issue was Fixed with Remote Uninstalling by Tech and ESET Sppt thinks Paid MBAM within the last month is causing / contributing to the Conflict with ESS Updates such as 4.2.58. You don't mention OS or other Apps but Phone Sppt can help you, I'm sure.

Once MBAM is Uninstalled/ ESS Re-Installed OK, MBAM Re-installed, there isn't "supposed to be" this ESS Ver Update conflict w/ Paid MBAM next time.

Per Sppt, Safe Mode Uninstall may not be Deleting All of the Multiple Uninstalls / Re-Installs we have attempted trying to fix this issue, too.

(866) 343-3738 ....1 Sales/ 2 Sppt
    Or 1-619-876-5400

Good Luck!!

10. bajan

bajan Registered Member

Hi Cosmo - update on current situation.

I redownloaded Ver 4.0.474.0 and as usual same thing happened. I then decided to go to "My Computer, Programs", I found ESET, found EGUI, then I decided to set the compatibility section to Windows 2000 (it was set to Windows 95). Guess what, it is all working absolutely wonderful now. I am not going to try to install the new version yet though. I have had enough of ESET for a while (haha). I will try at a later date though and let you know how I go. By the way I have XP Home. Glad to hear that you have had yours sorted out. I have sent 3 emails to Support but no reply, so I sent them another this morning telling them I had solved it and I suggested that if any of their other customers had the same problem then they should send them my email (lol). I guess we can say, Case solved. Cheers

11. stratoc

stratoc Guest

run the un~install tool linked in previous post.
    reboot.
    type folder options in start box> view> show hidden folders> apply.
    go to program files, delete eset folder.
    go to program data, delete eset folder. change folder options back to your preference.
    type regedit in start box, expand HKEY_current user> software> delete eset entry.
    then, expand HKEY_local machine and delete eset key.
    reboot.
    in device manager (yes, type in start box) view> show hidden objects> check no ! marks in network. if there are none you should be good to re install.
    if you find any ! marks in network device. un-install then reload your network driver.
    *make sure you have downloaded a network driver or have it on media as you wont have internet access after you remove*

12. COSMO26

stratoc, bajan should try that but for me those steps did nothing (XP Media Ctr) - I tried that on Uninstall / Re-install #3 ........

My FIX with SPPT's help included Deleting any Plug 'n Play Drivers with "e: in them. eamon and ekrn were deleted, I recall, via Command Prompt. That just to show how "complete" the Uninstall/Delete steps were to, I presume, clear all the garbage from the 5 Uninstall / Re-Installs I had tried to fix this issue.

13. stratoc

stratoc Guest

thought it was worth a try, didn't work for me either to be honest, I got bored trying and re- installed windows (was about time anyway!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.