upgrade policies?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Longboard, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I cant find a link to what Raxco's update policies are.

Any body know what the situation is?.
    I know there is an option to purchase an annual support upgrade license.
    Is that all there is?
    What happens after 1 year?

Thanks.
    Lbd.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am not totally sure what there policy is because I did have one upgrade package I'd forgotten about.

As to the what happens after 1 year. I for one renewed the one upgrad package I had and added it to my second license on which I didn't have it. Raxco has been so good about support for me, I felt it was worth giving them the money. Also this way no upgrade issues.

I am probably not much help Longboard.

Pete

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I think we should make a clear distinction here between an upGRADE and an upDATE.

I believe any upDATE, i.e., minor revisions and bug fixes, is free to registered users.

However, an upGRADE, i.e., a major version upgrade with added features/functionality would be something that would only be free for licensees (sp?) that have software assurance/maintenance/whatever it's called nowadays.

Raxco fixed me right up recently with assurance on 7 FD-ISR licenses and 6 or 7 PD7 licenses (one of those Server) at a reasonable price, even though I hadn't opted for it when originally purchased. So, yeah, their support has been nothing but awesome for me and the $8 a pop for the workstation licenses is a bargain, IMO.

4. Longboard

OK
    @crofttk, agree with distinction between upgrade and update.

Have had little need for support as yet, have no reason to doubt you both.
    Because of personal recommendations from here, particularly wrt support, I want to purchase from Raxco.

I feel there should be somewhere in the sale contract some statement about long term commitment, annual support/upgrade/update options rather than just an option to buy:

What are the regular update fees? How do I know I'm saving?
    What if a new version does not come out? or comes out one day after?

In addition:
    This means little to me down here. Why should I have to pay for an option that is a total pain in the a#*# for me time wise and cost wise?

Not to put too fine a point on it and not being mean spirited about a remarkable utility but $168.00 AUS for the full package is not a sneeze. :)

I see there has already been some confusion about a "new" version released on the Leapfrog home site.

There has been mention of a new version from Todd.

cf: what happens about consumer, who pays for soft on Monday, and Tuesday there is a new version, who has not paid the $20 tithe?
    What happens to support for those who dont upgrade?

Sorry about soapboxing and nit picking a bit.
    This may well be a great app.
    Raxco and Leapfrog are not doing this for our benefit
    Just feeling a bit blackmailed.
    Particularly when the add at the bottom of the page suggests if you dont have 'the power pack", you may be running into problems.

If I bought an app that screwed my filing system to the point that no other apps than their own would run with it , I would be a bit very miffed.

I know, I know, I dont have to buy it, and I can go and get stuffed if I dont like what they're doing.

Just a little voice in the wind.......feeling a bit off colour.

Lbd.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  5. crofttk

Wow, dude, do you guys drink tea or coffee down there ? I hope not too much of either.;)

Ummm... I guess you might need a bit to get support between 11:30PM and 8:30AM in Sydney. That's a bit rough.

6. Longboard

STRONG COFFEE LOL :D

7. Peter2150

Hi Longboard sounds like a bad day at black rock:D

I guess it's hard to answer. I have a big advantage, as I can pick up the phone, and I have. When I've called the techsupport people have never checked to see my "status" they just help me.

Hey in terms of support get this:

Called the other day, and all techsupport lines were busy, so it rolled over to sales. The girl asked me if I wanted a call back, and I said no, not to worry, but she took my name. Out of the blue I got an email the next morning from techsupport saying they'd heard I'd called and what did I need. I emailed back my 4 questions. Hour later the phone rang and it was them. They decided it might be to complicated to answer in an email, so they called me.

You just don't get that kind of support from many companies, so I don't quibble about a few bucks with them. Not many companies I feel this way about.

Pete

8. crofttk

I just realized, LBD, you're burning the midnight oil, perhaps have a long day behind you while mine is just getting started.

Is it Tuesday morning there now ? If so, at least Monday is behind you.

9. Longboard

Having a slightly pessimistic day here. :blink:
    Send lawyers guns and money, get me out of here :D

Breathe in, breathe out and repeat
    Get more water time.

10. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Longboard,
    Did you ask for a lawyero_O
    I am a lawyer in training, maybe I can help. My motto is sue them all and let the courts sort things out.:D :D

When I say that I'm a lawyer in training, that's a lot like saying, "I'm not a lawyer, but I played one on TV once." Or "No...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

Just kidding, but I hope that your day goes well.

Since this a FDISR forum, I'd better say something about it. My experience with Raxco's service has been nothing but joy. Peter2150 is correct, you just don't see that these days, especially with software.

11. Peter2150

12. Longboard

Heh:
    @Peter
    if I was on the phone like you are I would have a BIG phone account.

I dont think those toll free numbers work for us here?

Lbd.

13. Peter2150

I totally agree. It does help being just down the road from the.:D

If you ever need help making contact with Raxco let me know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.