Upgrade from v8 necessary?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by LaryW, Oct 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaryW

LaryW Registered Member

I've been using v8 to create images on external hard drives for my 3 computers without problems and the verify has reported ok on the image. I don't use the Security Zone. I burn images about 1 per month.

I also use Novabackup for file backups a couple times a week to an external hard drive.

My thinking on using both was to use TI in case I had to replace my hard drive and NB in case I need to a file restore for corrupted or deleted files.

So far, my only real need has been NB as I've never had a hard drive crash - yet.

With that in mind, do I have too much redundancy and do I really need to upgrade to v9? Are there benefits to v9 in my case that justify the cost?

Thanks,
    LaryW

2. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

In your case, I would say your in good shape. You probably have more flexibility with NB that you would with the 'folder & file' option of v.9 TI.

I'm staying with v.8.(latest) for now for the same reasons. Now if Acronis would make it possible to image & restore the MBR and *only* the active C partition and then also be able to mount and explore the folder & file backup and restore what's needed...well, that would make me run for the upgrade. Well, maybe not right at *this* moment! :)

...Allen

3. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

It sounds like you have a good method. I also use True Image to do full image back ups to an external drive. In addition, I also seperately back up my photos and music to my external drive, but I don't have any software for that, I just do it in windows by copy and paste. I upgraded to version 9 from 8, but I had problems with all of the builds up to and including 2289, so I went back to using version 8 build 937 which works good. I have not tried the latest build of version 9, build 2302. I am becoming less and less trusting of jumping on the newest build before the kinks are worked out of version 9. I would stay with version 8 build 937 unless there is a feature available in version 9 that you just have to have. Or, you could always download and try the free trial of version 9 and see if it works ok for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.