Upgrade from v8 necessary?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by LaryW, Oct 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaryW

LaryW Registered Member

I've been using v8 to create images on external hard drives for my 3 computers without problems and the verify has reported ok on the image. I don't use the Security Zone. I burn images about 1 per month.

I also use Novabackup for file backups a couple times a week to an external hard drive.

My thinking on using both was to use TI in case I had to replace my hard drive and NB in case I need to a file restore for corrupted or deleted files.

So far, my only real need has been NB as I've never had a hard drive crash - yet.

With that in mind, do I have too much redundancy and do I really need to upgrade to v9? Are there benefits to v9 in my case that justify the cost?

Thanks,
    LaryW

2. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

In your case, I would say your in good shape. You probably have more flexibility with NB that you would with the 'folder & file' option of v.9 TI.

I'm staying with v.8.(latest) for now for the same reasons. Now if Acronis would make it possible to image & restore the MBR and *only* the active C partition and then also be able to mount and explore the folder & file backup and restore what's needed...well, that would make me run for the upgrade. Well, maybe not right at *this* moment! :)

...Allen

3. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

It sounds like you have a good method. I also use True Image to do full image back ups to an external drive. In addition, I also seperately back up my photos and music to my external drive, but I don't have any software for that, I just do it in windows by copy and paste. I upgraded to version 9 from 8, but I had problems with all of the builds up to and including 2289, so I went back to using version 8 build 937 which works good. I have not tried the latest build of version 9, build 2302. I am becoming less and less trusting of jumping on the newest build before the kinks are worked out of version 9. I would stay with version 8 build 937 unless there is a feature available in version 9 that you just have to have. Or, you could always download and try the free trial of version 9 and see if it works ok for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.