upgrade and commit question

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by beethoven, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I dl Returnil earlier this year when it was available at Gotd - it is Version 2.0.0.5007.
    I am not regularly using it, only played with it a few times but like what I see.

I have now guests staying with me and would like to use the protection feature full time (as opposed to the Session Lock) but have one query. I am also running a fax via this pc with the program installed with all its folders on the protected drive. There is no easy way to save the incoming faxes to another drive, so I need Returnil to deal with this.
    I realise that I can save via File Manager / Update Selected but this is a manual deal. Is there any way to automate this in a way that prevents those faxes to be wiped when the pc is rebooted. I don't want to explain too much to my guests and rely on them to become familiar with the product, just let them have fun with it without bothering me and causing havoc to my set-up.

Also, I realise that a new version is out. Am I entitled to update based on the Gotd deal and if so, how should I do that?

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi beethoven,
    The current release version does not include exclusions so the File Manager would be the way to go. I have another version we are using to test new feature sets for eventual addition to 3x based on the current 2x version.

It includes exclusion support as well as alternate partition cloning. Send me your e-mail via PM if you would like to give it a try and will send to you ASAP.

Regarding the upgrade - I can get you set up with new licensing ;)

This version is extremely stable and is based on a custom build that is being used by a large customer in a production setting so you should not run into any issues.

Mike

3. beethoven

thanks Coldmoon - great to have such committed support from the developer :thumb:
    I have send a pm.

4. beethoven

After a few weeks of running Version 2.1.3.3045 I am very happy with the operations. The feature to turn on protection immediately without a reboot is great and the exclusion for specified folders works fine for me.
    Admittedly this is not my main pc, so it's not as heavily used or tested but fwiw I am very pleased :thumb:

5. developers

developers Registered Member

This feature is present also in the actual stable version, i.e, 2.0.1.9002, and older version.

6. Coldmoon

Give the custom cache path feature a try for your alternate partitions. The main reasoning behind this is to provide better SSD support...

Mike

7. beethoven

I just checked and on my secondary Pc where I am running the above version, a restart is necessary. Going to the returnil home page and looking for the download, I get referred to download.com where exactly this version is being offered. I think you were thinking of the session lock feature which is different.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  8. beethoven

Mike, can you provide some more info what you mean by this. My version had only a very basic help file and I don't remember any reference to this.

9. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

It's a 2 process thing. First turn on session lock, then open the GUI and enable the system protection. No reboots but system protection is maintained even after a reboot.

10. Coldmoon

Hi,
    Some clarifications:

Session Lock - is a temporary enabling of the System Protection feature. IOW, the virtualization of the System Partition does not require a restart of the computer but will be deactivated when you do restart the computer.

System Protection ON - this is the always on setting and requires a restart of the computer.

This is specifically for the LAB version where you can change the target location for the cache on alternate partitions to a different alternate drive. As opposed to the File Protection feature in 2.0.1 that simply removes read/write access to selected files and folders.

This is still not available for the System Partition.

EX: Say I have three partitions like this:

1. C:\ = System Partition
    2. D:\ = Data drive
    3. F:\ = Backup drive

With the current 2.0.1 release version I would only be able to clone the C:\ Drive and use the File Protection feature to remove access to selected files, folders, or the entire drive I want to protect this way. In the LAB version, you can clone the E:\ and F:\ drives like you would the System Partition. Further, let us suppose I added another drive X:\ to the line up.

Now I could specify that the cache files for E:\ and F:\ be stored on sacrificial drive X:\ thus saving both space and minimizing writes on the two protected alternate partitions.

HTH
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.