Updating WinXPproSP2 Install CD - nLite

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I know your opinion on this, but you won't change my mind and I'm very happy with this separation, because it's convenient and it simplifies many things. Security wasn't my main reason for doing this.

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I am beginning to wonder if you realize the foolishness of...
    Having multiple firewalls of the same type.
    Thinking someone is an advanced user simply because they use nLite.

Imagine how much more time you would have if you simply teach your brother how to backup and restore the OS partition. This would make him more independent and you would not have to foolishly waste your time fixing his computer.

I understand your misunderstanding, but there is not much I can help you with there. You will have to learn on your own.

It's OK. I was merely offering a suggestion about backing up the OS partition and making known a possible security vulnerability by moving Documents and Settings. You didn't like that and went on the offensive.

As for disabling the data drive in the online snapshot, you need to understand the context.
    In the context of having a disconnected offline snapshot which has the data drive enabled for working on documents, and a frozen online snapshot that never changes and gets reset every reboot, and having no AV, AT, AS, AK, then disabling the data drive in the online snapshot makes sense.
    Is it a good idea in the overall security scheme? Of course not.
    Fortunately Erik is investigating Anti-Malware to help stop it at the front door.

That's good, I was beginning to worry that you weren't backing up anything at all.

Thank you for the entertainment. If you wish to continue, please do.

3. peelmanG4

peelmanG4 Registered Member

now at what point did i say any of them were of the same type? I run a NATed, SPI firewall where my WAN comes in, a software firewall (Shorewall/Iptables on Linux and Sunbelt/Kerio Personal on Windows) on the computers themselves, and unfortunately my AV software (McAfee) also takes it upon itself to do some port and executable blocking. In a perfect world i would love to have a PIX out front presenting a DMZ and an internal network, with another Linux router performing gateway duties for the internal network, but alas, money is a finite resource, so i'm stuck with what i have.

As for the rest, it seems your stuck in your replies, and i am stuck in mine. I almost want to say that you're arrogant, yet you come off sounding ignorant. I've had friends, coworked and superiors (only in rank) who were that way, they talked a good game, but they were on the wrong field. Meh.:blink:

4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

LOL, well good luck with that. :)
    If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.