Updating issues

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Mele20, Jan 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

    Mele20 Former Poster

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2002
    Posts:
    2,495
    Location:
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Re: Update plans?

    What? The last update was Dec 24? I just ran update and it said it updated but is says Dec 11. This happens every day when I check for updates. It says it is updating but it isn't. I had this same problem with the Dec 11 update and the one before that. Something is wrong with Spyware Blaster. I have had it since the very beginning and never had problems with updating before.

    The really irritating thing is that it insists it has updated when it hasn't!
     
  2. javacool

    javacool BrightFort Moderator

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2002
    Posts:
    3,997
    Hi,

    (I split your post off to its own thread.)

    The next version of SpywareBlaster does make some changes that'll hopefully help fix the firewall-related updating issues some people are encountering (a small percentage of users have those problems), but this sounds like it may not be firewall related.

    So, a few quick questions:

    -What version of Windows are you running? (I assume XP?)

    -If it's XP, are you trying to update SpywareBlaster from a limited account or an administrator account?

    -Are you sure you have full access privileges to the SpywareBlaster folder? To verify, try browsing to it (by default it is C:\Program Files\SpywareBlaster) and try deleting the file named "sbversion.txt". (If that succeeds, and you can delete the file, we can rule another potential permission-related issue out.)

    -Can you run the Check for Updates function again, and (assuming it says it has download updates, looks like it has, but then shows the old database date on the main screen) can you close SpywareBlaster and open it again to see whether it shows the proper date or not?

    -Can you try clearing your Temporary Internet Files in Internet Explorer, and then updating again? Does this help?

    -Finally, if the above doesn't work, can you try deleting the following files in your SpywareBlaster folder and then updating again:
    -sbdatabase.dtb
    -sbdatabase2.dtb
    -ckdatabase.dtb
    -rsdatabase.dtb

    EDIT: I just read in the other thread that you are using the default "use the system connection / proxy settings" option. Before doing the above, could you please try changing that to the "direct connection" option, close SpywareBlaster, and then open it and try updating again?

    Thanks in advance. :)

    -Javacool
     
  3. Mele20

    Mele20 Former Poster

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2002
    Posts:
    2,495
    Location:
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Success! :) But I don't understand why exactly. I know that the first time when I changed it to use a direct connection that I failed to close and reopen it before trying the update. But I tried it more than once and I did close it and reopen it on later tries and it still did the "pretend" update.

    So, I'll leave it on direct connection and hope it works using that option the next time too.

    Thanks! I can't imagine not having Spyware Blaster. It is absolutely essential even for someone like myself who uses Firefox most of the time. I wouldn't dream of using IE ever without Spyware Blaster. I don't use a great deal of spyware protection but Spyware Blaster is a must!
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.