Updating IE with updates

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Phazor, Oct 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phazor

Phazor Registered Member

Sorry if this is a stupid question but, i think i need to update my IE and when i go to the micro-megapatches site im lost as to what patches i really need to get, and i dont really remember which i have applied in the past.
    There is a whole list of them frigen patches, seperate and cumulative, so what gives, how does one keep track of what should be and what has been patched. Which cumulative patches include which seperate patches.
    Should i just do the seperate patches and not worry about cumulative or whato_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O Help Me.....I cant take it anymore.

Same goes for lookout i got you express....UGH

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Well, they're gonna ask what OS you have and what version of IE. Many here will recommend that you do like aI have and not go past IE 5.5 for now as 6 still has things being "ironed" out. OE; hmm I think I've only installed a security patch or 2 on that one but I dunno about the cumulatives. I'm one of those guys who bought a brand new puter but put WIN98SE on it because I like the privacy and (IMHO) dependability. Not knocking you guys with 2000, I;ve just never tried it so stuck with what I like.

Hmm looking back my post doesn't help much but hopefully someone will come along and help more soon ;-)

3. Phazor

Phazor Registered Member

Sorry i meant to put that in there when i started but got all wrapped up in the subject matter...

Win98se
    IE 5.5 sp2

4. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

You can go to this site.

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Then click on the words "PRODUCT UPDATES"
    Go here to download and install the latest updates for your computer.

And it will download to you the updater that scans your OS...then brings you to the page that will give you all the critical security updates you need for your IE5.5..and there is a place to click on the history of your PC that will tell you which ones have been installed to date.

Now.. just do not let that site give you an upgrade to IE6 if you do not want it..read it all carefully even downloading only a few of the critical ones...one at a time.

5. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Hey Phazor!

It can get confusing, huh?

As for 5.5, if you just have SP2 and the cumulative patch of 8-22 - you should be okay.

Use Windows Update to grab them both if you are running just the original 5.5.....

If I am wrong and there has been something else - chime in people! But, I really think everything should be fine with SP2 and the cumulative.

If you install over a patch you have already installed - it's no big deal anyway.

John
    Luv2bSecure

6. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Sorry, Primrose....I was writing while you were posting. I duplicated your post basically. You were right on target though - especially with the advice of not letting Windows Update trick you into going with IE6.

John
    Luv2bSecure

7. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Thank John...now we have info in this thread to help Phazor make all the decisions. And also do not click on that thingie that gives" feedback" to them on how your IE is doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.