UPDATES

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by housema9391, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. housema9391

housema9391 Registered Member

I downloaded your free of AVG Anti-spyware 7.5. My trial period is over and I am testing this software to see if I should purchase it. Before I lauch to purchase any software I do some research on the product. I have been updating it manually, and for the past month or so, I have had trouble downloading the updates, "Error: server not ready........... " sometime it takes as little as 3-4 times before they get downloaded and recently I have not been able to get any udpates. I have tried at different times of the day and been unsuccessuful. I thought that because it is a free version, that was the problem, but as I see from your Thread, it seems that even the ones that have purchased the product are having trouble with the automatic updates. I believe this prouct is an excellent one, but if you cannot get updates or have to spend time manually updating and choosing a different time of the day to update how good could that be. It is a poor representation of the product. Until I see some sort of improvements, I will not purchase this product. I will continue to struggle with the manual updates and hopefully the problem will be solved for many of us.

2. tigertheboo

tigertheboo Registered Member

I wrote to the tech people and they replied promptly wanting to see the log and error files. I looked at them myself and some error numbers were given, giving me hope that the grisoft techs will be able to figure out what is going on.

In my system manual updates rarely work, but the update at boot time so far, knock on wood, has been working. As I shutdown everyday, and reboot the next, at worse I'm a day behind

Still it would be nice if things work.

Am on list with another major spy catcher program that is having major problems. Software, especially security software, is just too complicated

3. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Which other program is that please? I'm sure that like many other people who have bought AVGAS, I am looking for a replacement.

4. tigertheboo

tigertheboo Registered Member

What I wrote was that the other program is at the present time having real problems. The software developers are working to fix the problems for version 5.0 of the program, but many of its users are sticking with version 4.0 or 4.1. For some the other program works fine, but for others major conflicts are occurring. I'm not sure if it is proper to name other programs in this forum, but let me say that version 4.0 of the other program was one of PC magazines two recommended anti-spyware programs.

My sense is that builds of any security program have problems has they tend to conflict with everything else. The very need for them to exam the core of the machine creates such conflicts

Descriptions can be found on pctools community forum

hope this helps

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Still I cannot understand how I have no update problems . I use Ewido micro scanner and honestly had a connection problem once or twice (but that was months ago) . Even a few seconds ago , it updated flawlessly

May be the free program is better than the paid , or we really have Ewido vs AVG AS

Attached Files:

• ewm.PNG
      ewm.PNG
      File size:
      2.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2007
  6. jayt

jayt Registered Member

I use Counterspy on my wife's computer. It works excellently well. I have no problem with updates or with scheduled scans. And it is much cheaper than AVG. If you want to look at it you can find it here:

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Home-Home-Office/CounterSpy/

I also use SUPERAntispyware.
    http://www.superantispyware.com/

It also works flawlessly. I sometimes wonder why I continue to put up with the aggravation that AVG causes me with its inability to autoupdate. Guess must be my masochistic nature. :)

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

A stop-gap solution would be to use SPYWAREfighter. It has the same great detection rates as Ewido (same engine), and most likely it does NOT have the update problems. ;)

8. Biscuit

Thanks very much for the advice.

I have tried CounterSpy, which on Vista is unstable. SuperAntispyware made my processor peak every second & remains the only program that has ever caused me to reformat my computer in over 20 years of computing. Since the weekend, I've settled for the moment with Prevx2 - but will give Spywarefighter a checkout.

9. kodl

kodl Registered Member

Actually, the free engines may get worse quality of service for updates as the update infrastructure for paid is designed to cope with the highest possible demands. Other than that, please believe me, that AVG AS and the former EWIDO are the same ;) I would suspect some other problems - interfering sw, such as some firewall etc. The logs should really help

10. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

And what is this all related to the subject? (avgas updates).
    In my opinion: nothing/nada/niente

Gerardo

11. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

I wanted to clarify your statement above for other readers. SUPERAntiSpyware did not "make you reformat" - to be clear, you chose to reformat without letting us run the diagnostic to see what actually was causing your problem. Once SUPERAntiSpyware is removed from the system, there are no "leftovers" that would cause processor issues, nor cause the need to reformat.

Please refrain from spreading/making commments as fact when they are not proven. You are welcome to your opinion, and if you don't "like" SUPERAntiSpyware that is fine - but please stick to facts that are proven and reproducible, not speculation.

12. Biscuit

You are correct Mr Grumpy. ;)

You want to discuss the updates issue further? Is there any point?

I've given up on AVGAS, Ewido was a great product & it's been asset stripped by AVG.

There are at least 4 threads regarding the update performance of AVGAS, I'm getting pretty annoyed with that as a paid user as I'm sure many other people are, I know that my user base of around 200 AVGAS paid users are fed up with the product. I'm feeling that the issue now for me & my customers is to dump the AVG product & feel that this is a valid conversation where we can discuss & share experiences in our searching. The multiple update threads are old hat, AVGAS does not update reliably any more, period. We need to move on & buy some proper software. I'll take bets now though, that the mods won't allow a separate thread discussing alternatives in here though..... :doubt:

13. Biscuit

Facts:
    My system was working perfectly. I installed SAS & got processor peaks, as did several other SAS users. I uninstalled SAS & still had the peaks. I repartitioned, reformated, reinstalled & no longer have the peaks. For me, SAS & bargepoles come to mind.

14. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

You'd be right on that score, nor should they. There's the Ant-Trojan or Ant-Malware forums for that. On the Counterspy issue as far as your posts show the version you last tried was the 2.5 RC which apparently still has bugs.

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Try SPYWAREfighter, it could very well turn out to be better than AVG AS in this regard....And since I am talking about a non-Ewido product here, this is the last time I'll say anything about this product on this forum. :)

16. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

"Several other users" - facts please. It would seem that with millions of users we certainly would have heard of this issue before, meaning forcing a reformat of a users system - as I recall you had installed several other security products as well.

Really doesn't matter as long as you state your opion - stating it as fact is incorrect as you don't have conclusive proof nor a reproducible case.

17. fce

fce Registered Member

i have SAS in my computer but never experience that problem. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.