Updates failing!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ratchet, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I've had Windows butcher my machines on Updt Tuesdays but never continually fail. Out of 12 important and two x64 optionals it will only install four total. Anyone else experiencing this on x64 W7 SP1? Thank you?

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

What error codes are you getting?

3. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

All updates went fine here,,W7 SP1 x64

4. ratchet

WindowsUpdateClient error 0x80070643
    I also ran three different Fixit solutions pertaining to updates. I might try updating through safe mode and see what happens.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Try doing only a couple at a time. Sometimes it helps.

Pete

6. ratchet

I'd tried that. Searching that code it appears it may be .NET Framework. Going to use their tool and see what happens!

7. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  8. ratchet

Well, I finally just bailed and restored to an image that was around one week old. I guess I'll never know what I did between then and now! My next move was going to run the the list of cmd prompts but given that thread was three years old or so I was hoping I didn't have to go that route. Thanks for helping!

9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

It happened to me as well. Most likely overloaded MS servers, since everyone was updating. I was able to install all updates later without problems.

10. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

After nine updates (including .NET 3.5.1) went well, KB2898869 and KB2901126 .NET 4 Framework updates failed with error code 800706BE.

After two more failed attempts trying to install them, I finally invoked Fix Problems with Windows Update from the Troubleshooting Control Panel. This allowed the updates to complete.

However, it then took almost ten hours for the mscorsvw.exe x86 and x64 processes to complete. I've seen that before through the years, but never that long, and I just let them be. Over that time they connected to the Akamai Technologies 23.0.0.0/12 network six times. In hindsight, I should have run a sniffer to see what that was all about.

The failed update occurred shortly after the first on the second of my two Win7 Home Premium SP1 x64 systems. There were no problems on the first system which, except for hardware, is configured exactly the same as the second.

There was never any problem with the initial files download coming in here at ~30 Mbps (so, overloaded servers: not) as during the two failed re-attempts and even after Fix Problems, the installer just ran without doing any further downloads.

FYI: when I do a Windows update, I run only Windows Firewall and monitor the goings-on with SoftPerfect NetWorx, Sysinternals TCPView and Task Manager.

Historically, it's not a matter of if .NET in some way or another will foobar things up, but a matter of when. I'm not at all surprised. In fact, this episode is a testament to the efficacy of Windows' resident diagnostic/repair tools.

Isn't interesting that the bulletins for .NET 4 security updates read the same as they did for .NET 2 and .NET 3? Raise your hand if you're getting sick and tired of .NET security updates. :cautious:

11. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.