updated zone alarm may not be good?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tomteeth, Jul 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. root

root Registered Member

If you are not networked, Outpost free is an excellent choice. :D

2. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi root

no im not runing a net work just my and my home pc

been to the out post home page and sounds good if its as easy to use and secure as they say then i should be ok so i think im goin to give it a go and see how i get on

if i get stuck ill be back

thanks for ya answer

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Bethrezen,

You'd better; root is the one and only expert on OutPost - except for Mikhail possibly ;).

regards.

paul

4. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Paul, i'm quite sure you expected me to jump in here at this time. ;)
    LNS with it's enhanced ruleset could very well be run without any rule adjustment and provide as good if not better protection than any other firewall on the market at the present time.
    And we both know it successfully passes all the tests currently known.

5. Paul Wilders

Mickey,

At last :D - What took you this long? ;)

regards.

paul

6. Tuulilapsi

Tuulilapsi Guest

ZoneAlarm 3.x

... I don't quite see the problem here, guys. Zone Alarm (Free) is a software firewall, and that's all it is. It's not supposed to (as in this is not its primary function) protect your email from viruses or even quarantine suspicious-looking files. It's not supposed to be a catch-all security suite. Nope, just a simple, damned good (at least in my experience), working software firewall for free.

Seriously, I cannot understand why one would even need the email protection ZA 2.6 offered. I mean, what does it do, ultimately? Nothing. When you get an attachment, the program does nothing more than quarantine the file - and then ask you what to do to it. It's not like ZA scans your attachments for viruses and trojans. The responsibility is still yours, just as it would be if you had no email protection from ZA. I've long since turned ZA's email protection off.

As for what really isn't good in the new ZA, that's the new interface. The old one was definitely better. On the other hand, the new logs are far more clear than the old ones. And it seems the new version has a better background noise filtering to keep the logs more tidy, now. I'm not sure, though.

I upgraded - and I don't regret it at all. When someone points out a security fault in the new version that the old did not have (firewall-wise, not in the email protection), then I'll start regretting.

7. Paul Wilders

Hi Tuulilapsi,

If your a happy camper using ZA, just stick to it ;).

As for:

It's a matter of choice and principle. Application based FWs - like ZA Free - will not allow any kind of fine tuning. Say fe you allow IExplorer (or any other browser for that matter) to access the net as an application, you will not be able to accept or deny traffic "coming with it". An example: many avatars in use on various boards are hosted on third party servers. Rule base FWs will (if configured that way) pop up each time, asking you if you allow traffic to/from these third party servers. ZA Free, being a purely application based firewall, will never pop up an alert in any way.

It's in essence a quite "harmless" example - but I do hope you'll get the picture.

regards.

paul

8. tomteeth

tomteeth Registered Member

MickeyThe Man: LNS with it's enhanced ruleset could very well be run without any rule adjustment! I am not familiar with this, can you supply a web site for me, Thank You Tom

9. Paul Wilders

10. snowman

snowman Guest

Tommy

I have followed the developement of Look n Stop for several years.........its a firewall I have used.......an have found it to be a great product
    its best that Mickey reply to any questions you may have.....or Spy1.......
    Tommy there are two versions of Look n Stop......the Pro verson and the "Lite" version....the "lite" version is freeware.

11. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

12. tomteeth

I am looking over the sites now, probably spend some time on them between now and tomorrow, Maybe, will have a few question later! very interesting and I want to Thank You Guys for supplying them, Tom

13. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

You're quite welcome. Pete

14. MickeyTheMan

Maybe this needs clarification.
    When you use an application firewall, say ZA, rules are included in the firewall. You just don't see them and have litttle control over how they operate. Doesn't mean the firewall is no good, it's simply that you can't adjust them when and if you want.
    By using a ruleset firewall like say LNS, and using the Enhanced Ruleset that comes with it, you could very well operate it as if you had an application firewall and make no changes to the rules already included. The main difference is that you can see every rule that applies, and when you are ready to start modifiying them, you can if you want to. You don't have to, but can if you want. It also allows you to better understand how a firewall works when you can actually see what rules applies when something is blocked for example.

15. tomteeth

Mickey the man: Thanks You for the explanation, i am starting to learn this, I have been on LNS web site for the last 2 hours, really interesting! I love to learn things, especially when they can protect my pc. I have had a couple of bad virus's etc. with my old Computers and it was a mess. Does LNS have its own forum for just this feature? I saw Becky's! Or are they both connected?

16. MickeyTheMan

Becky is another board just like this one or any others.
    LNS does have a support forum at Becky where Frédéric (the author) visits regularly. Many users are quick to jump in when help is needed by one.
    AFAIK many users are members of both boards, and few like me practically everywhere ! :D
    Doesn't mean i'm necessarily liked though, as i play favourite to no one or no company. ;)
    Cross my path and MickeyTheMan becomes MickeyTheBear ! :D

17. Paul Wilders

Hey Mickey, when the heck did you become a Panda AV fan? :D

regards,

paul

18. tomteeth

MickeyTheMan
    Ok, Thanks for the reply

19. snowy

snowy Guest

A big warm fluffy teddy bear

snowman

20. snowy

snowy Guest

my aopolgy for the "Bear" remark...if I were login I would edit it........an not blow anyones cover....

snowman

21. MickeyTheMan

Yeah, growls a lot....but does no harm ! :D

22. snowy

snowy Guest

as a avid outdoors person....experience has taught me that when a bear groals.....its time for a person to take the fetal position....an make peace with his higher power

snowman

ot..sorry

23. jnibori

jnibori Registered Member

Question:

I have been reading the reviews about the new freeware version of ZA, which I installed. I have also read that if I want the older version back, with all of the benefits, I will have to fuss around in the registry, which I would rather not do.

What if I completely uninstalled the new version of ZA using Add/Remove, deleting the program file folder, and anything else I can find. And, what if I use system restore to back up to a point before I installed the newer version, and installed the older version. Would I be back to the point where I get all of the benefits I once had ?? RE MailSafe option?

24. tomteeth

jnibori
    Please, don't bother, it will do No Good, its gone for good, once you loose it!

25. jnibori

jnibori Registered Member

You know - the stupid thing is that I had the new version installed about 3 minutes after learning it was out there. Instead of downloading it, and taking the time ( at least an effort) to research it a bit, I blindly installed the older, for the "better."

I have read over and over that newer does not equal better. Once again another lesson learned from my own mistakes. Hopefully, there will be scads of information about how much better the newer version is ( sure jnibori).

I am sure the new version is good too. ZA has always been at the top. And why am I complaining about a free, highly secure, firewall anyway ?

Thanks for the replies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.