Update Problems if PC time is altered

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Helm_local, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helm_local

Helm_local Registered Member

Hi,

Running the latest V4 ESS (474) on XP and had a problem when my system clock reverted back to an old date (as a result of a CMOS battery change).

On resetting the clock back to today's date the following happened:

The system tray ESET icon went red and reported the following when the GUI was opened:

Maximum protection is not ensured
    Virus signature database is out of date ...and said that the db had not been updated for some time.

When I try an run an update nothing happens, i.e. the update does not take place.

I tried re-installing (over the current copy) no difference.

Do I have to uninstall then reinstall to get past this problem??

Another solution would save a lot of time, especially as I have a fair bit of firewall conguration to perform after the install.

Thanks
    Mike

2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello ,

Please follow the procedures from the following Knowledgebase article and use the uninstall tool to remove your ESET security product from your machine:
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2289

After fully removing your ESET security product, reinstall and let me know if the issue persists.

Thank you,
    Richard

3. Helm_local

Richard,

thanks for the reply. However, when I turned my PC on today and forced an update, all worked OK (v. 4792 downloaded). The sys tray icon is back to blue and no warnings anywhere.

Perhaps the software needs some time to 'settle down' after the date change?

Mike

4. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

when ur pc date is changed to an old date for eg:10.10.1990, if there was an update available at that time ,ESET will update and u can c that in the update tab in Eset. Last successful update 10.10.1990 10.10 am.
    Then u changed ur pc date to today's date.
    Now there is 20 years difference. So it will show Not updated for sometime.
    That will become OK when u update Eset but u have to wait for next available update.

5. Helm_local

Thanks for that Nikanth. That expains why the update kept failing just after resetting the time to the current time, there wasn't a new update available, whereas the obviously was this morning.

I'm still suprised the update module didn't return the message "the installed virus signature database is current" (like it does now) instead of simply failing to do anything and staying on the red warning.

Still, no big deal.

Cheers
    Mike

6. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

U R Welcome:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.