Update problem

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Larkmore, May 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larkmore

Larkmore Registered Member

I recently discovered Spyware Blaster and am eager to try it out. I downloaded the installer yesterday, ran it, and everything looks ok. The program comes up fine. I clicked on Check for Updates and the dialog came up. I pressed the Check for Updates button and three updates came up. So I pressed Download Update(s) and I get an error saying "The server returned the following unexpected response: HTTP/1.1 407 Proxy Authentication required". I press the OK button and close that window, and it sorta looks like it's downloading anyway, but nothing happens within 10 minutes.
    I know computers pretty well, but my networking knowledge is next to none, so I don't know if this is a problem on my side or the download server. How do I fix this and what do I look for?

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Larkmore,

Welcome at Wilders. :)

In SpywareBlaster, when you click settings could you verify if everything is set correctly for your connection. "Use the system connection" works fine for me even though I'm behind a proxyserver.
    If all else fails, try checking the Use lternative download method.

Regards,

Pieter

3. Larkmore

Larkmore Registered Member

Well, I'm not sure which solved it, but I did both of the following and now it's happy:
    The first thing I did was I checked the "Use Alternative Download Method" like Pieter suggested. I think I had tried this before, but maybe I had something else screwy at the time. The second thing I did was to highlight one of the files to be downloaded. I don't think that should matter since it downloaded all three at once even though I only selected one, but I've written Java programs that had similar quirks sometimes so I could believe it. Anyway, thanks for the help and for the software!
    -Will

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

It's working and that's what counts.

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.