Update not working?

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by JohnBurns, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

I can't get "update.ewido.net" to load - no big E. I can get "ewido.net/en/download/updates/" to load with signatures. My firewall is not preventing downloads - as I have it turned completely off. I think it's the website for the update that is not working properly, since it did in fact update my pc automatically about 30 minutes ago. It may be intermittant? Can you still get the big E?

Think I will just forget it for a while and see if ewido comes up with something to help. I really believe there may be a server problem on their end. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  2. ericfr

ericfr Registered Member

Just to add: I have had no problems with updates at all, but by now I can't reach "update.ewido.net" to see the big E. :)

Regards
    ericfr

Edit: Tried a manual update from Ewido's GUI, and got an error-message:
    "can't connect to server".
    There definitely is a problem at their end. HTH

3. JohnBurns

Thanks for letting me know that, ericfr. I just wish EWIDO would tell me that instead of letting me flounder around out here. It would seem that it is in their best interest to let their customers know what is going on. Not only am I an ewido PAYING customer, but also a Grisoft AVG PAYING customer. So far, three requests for technical help to them has netted me ZERO solutions. Oh, well, guess Norton did it to me a couple years back - seems they all go that way when they get a reputation and some good publicity.

4. loft

loft Registered Member

I also cannot connect to the update server.

Error: failed to connect to server, Value: 0000274C, Position: .\DownloadHttp.cpp, 287
    Error: failed to connect to server, Value: 0000274C, Position: .\DownloadHttp.cpp, 287
    Error: failed to connect to server, Value: 0000274D, Position: .\DownloadHttp.cpp, 287
    Error: failed to connect to server, Value: 00002741, Position: .\DownloadHttp.cpp, 287

5. ericfr

ericfr Registered Member

UPDATE:

"update.ewido.net" is working by now. Got the big E. :)
    Tried a manual update which worked.
    Just for information. I understand it will not help those of you having other reasons for update-problems. :(

Regards
    ericfr

6. JohnBurns

:oops: I take it all back - ewido updated for me this morning without a problem. Guess I'm too impatient - they seem to be working on it, even if it isn't completely fixed.:D

7. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

The reason for this was that one of the update servers in the cluster failed with a hard disk error (even though all servers have at least raid 1). This caused the update not to work for some users who were redirected to this server. Unfortunately, the load balancer didn't detect this failure as the mashine was still responding to the test queries.

8. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Thanks for the update Peter. So several servers were there to upload the updates? When I have the update error, I exit and restarted ewido and this fixed the problem. So is it true that ewido will try different servers or at random when I restart ewido again?

9. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

The program always connects to update.ewido.net which is a load balancer redirecting the request. So it was just coincidence. :)

10. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Thanks Peter for the clarification. ;)

11. JohnBurns

Thanks, Peter - again sorry, I was so impatient. I apologize. Appreciate your help.

12. Spiral5150

Spiral5150 Registered Member

Hi.
    Just to let you know that I was having the same problem and tried all the same things, no joy. I had been using ZoneAlarm, but stopped recently. I had disabled it in startup, so it wasn't running in the background.

I've just now uninstalled it altogether and Ewido updated 1st time! So now, the choice is yours...

Colin.

13. MSF

MSF Registered Member

I have been having the same Error. My Logfile.txt displays:

RegQueryValueEx failed, Value: 00000002

Appears to be a Registry problem. Anyone have any feedback on this?
    Also, AdAware can't connect either.

14. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

The message says (Value is an error code) "The system cannot find the file specified." in this case the "File" is an registry key. And maybe ewido tries to read a key which does not exist on your system.

This should only be reported once per application startup. This message is just for us developers and is not a real problem ;)
    If there is nothing else in there, you can safely delete logfile.txt this time. (It will be created again for new entries.)

BR

15. MSF

MSF Registered Member

vinzenz.ewido,

Are you sure this is correct?

I can't use an updater for any Anti-SpyWare programs.

Ewido won't update.
    AdAware won't update.
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware won't update.

I downloaded SpyBot to scan and fix. Found some things and then tried to update.

Even SpyBot won't connect and update.

I am getting the feeling like I am infected with something FIERCE. FYI, I tried updating on my 2nd computer and I can update.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

16. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

I am sure that this messages are not related to the download issue. Problems with the download are reported in the error.txt and updater.ewidolog

BR

17. pchanson

pchanson Registered Member

Hi,
    My daughter picked up some really crazy stuff on her machine. One of the things this insidious crap does is re-direct hosts. My jaw hit the floor when I read the hosts that were re-directed. Mcaffee, symantec, a few of the security forums and ewido updates were all re-directed. Spybot caught them. What this does is anytime you try to connect to an update site it re-directs you to a site that doesn't exist. This may be causing your problem. Spybot was able to fix but they keep redirecting within a short time of being connected to the internet. I removed the redirected hosts with spybot, had ewido open already and as soon as i plugged the network cable in, I clicked update. It worked. Also, I was in safe mode with networking support.

Just a thought. Look for re-directed hosts with spybot.

Paul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.