Update NOD32 on a client computer?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by navalair, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. navalair

navalair Registered Member

I don't recall reading it in the EULA, but I now understand, after reading many of the NOD32 FAQ's here, that the copy of NOD32 which I paid for and DL'd is just like Windows XP, i.e., one copy per home computer. If one has two home computers, whether connected on a LAN or not, one must pay for, download, and install a second copy of NOD32. Caveat emptor, right, or "read the small print stupid."

Swell. Now I understand why the Eset rep in Coronado, CA (where I once lived and worked as a young, bachelor naval aviator stationed at NAS North Island in the '60's) was less interested in answering my question than he was in giving me a hard time when he discovered (I had told him in my email request for help--it was no secret and I wasn't trying to pull a fast one on Eset!) that I had burned a copy on a CD and installed it on our second networked computer.

I was never able to get NOD32 updates on the client computer, but for some time it wasn't necessary as the NOD32 control center on the server (master) computer showed the shared drives on the client computer along with those on the server and allowed me to include drives on both computers when scanning. Therefore, the updated NOD32 files on the server sufficed. For some reason, the client computer's shared drives stop being shown about the time I DLd and installed Windows XP SP1.

The FAQ article on updating (or even connecting for that matter) a second networked computer with new virus definitions appears to be will written and takes one through the necessary steps in a logical progression. However, I can't find any of the options that address the step calling for a "mirror." Any clarification from anyone using a LAN with a second client computer who is able to scan server files and shared client files with NOD32 would really be appreciated. My thanks to any respondent.

2. rodzilla

rodzilla Registered Member

This blurb from one of our resellers might help .........

=====
    Nod32 Update Mirror Instructions

1.   Go to the PC which will be the ‘Update Mirror’ (ie: the PC connected directly to the Internet)

2.   Open the NOD32 Control Center

3.   Click on ‘Mirror Setup’

4.   Tick the box ‘Create Update Mirror’

5.   In ‘Path for Update of the Copies’ choose ‘Browse’ and locate the folder where you want the Updates to reside

6.   Do NOT enter a Username or Password

7.   If you need floppy or CD updates for PCs not connected to the network, click
    on ‘Advanced’
    a.   Tick the box alongside your choice of media type (floppies and/or cd).
    b.   Enter the folder’s location where you wish the update data to be stored
    (either or both media types)
    c.   Click “OK”

8.   In ‘Files Available’ tick the box/boxes for the operating system(s) used by your workstations (95/98 and/or NT/2000/XP)

9.   Click “OK”

10.   Go to each of the workstations on which you wish to use the ‘Update Mirror’

11.   Click on the NOD32 Control Center

12.   Click on ‘Servers’

13.   In ‘New Server’ type in the path to the folder where the ‘Update Mirror’ is located

14.   Click on ‘Add Server’ and ‘Close’

15.   At ‘Server’ click on the ‘down arrow’ and select the new server location you have just entered

16.   If the ‘Update Mirror’ has finished creating itself, click on ‘Update Now’

Main Marketing Services
    January 2002
    =====

>I don't recall reading it in the EULA, but I now understand, after reading many of the NOD32 FAQ's here, that the copy of NOD32 which I paid for and DL'd is just like Windows XP, i.e., one copy per home computer. If one has two home computers, whether connected on a LAN or not, one must pay for, download, and install a second copy of NOD32. Caveat emptor, right, or "read the small print stupid."

Most software requires "per computer" licensing. A "Single PC License" obviously applies to ONE computer only. If you update multiple PCs from a Single PC License you run the risk of having your key switched off altogether.

3. navalair

Right, I do appreciate the guidance you have provided. However, I can't get started because your step No. 3 "Click on mirror setup," and step No. 4 "Tick the box "Create Update Mirror," are not shown anywhere in my NOD32 Command Center. Either that, or I do not have NOD32 properly installed, or I don't know where to look for the "mirror" step referenced in your excellent step-by-step guidance. If it is found by clicking on the double "CC" icon, then clicking on "setup," it doesn't exist on my installed version of NOD32. I show only three tabs: "Update," "Info," and "Log," plus a "Connection Setup" box, and none of those takes me to "Mirror Setup."

What bothers me most is that for some time after the original installation of NOD32, I could scan both the server (computer with our one cable modem attached) and the "client" computer (only other home computer attached to the server on the network) from the server. Both computers continue to "see" each other, and we share 3 printers, and all files on both computers' two hard drives, but my wife's two HD's, floppy, and CD ceased appearing as accessible for virus scanning in the NOD32 Control Center inexplicably about 3 months ago. That is when I burned a copy of the NOD32 Zip file to CD and installed it--illegally, as I discovered--on my wife's client computer.

With no change in our networked shared files and hardware, but only in my ability to access the client compter for virus scanning, I suspect I may have to uninstall NOD32 from my server (it has been uninstalled from the client, so I am once again "Legal" and the Eset rep in Coronado, CA can relax and call off the Eset software dogs) and reinstall it, hoping thereby to see the "Mirror Setup" tab/box and regain access to the client computer.

On the other hand, I just had a thought. Could I have denied NOD32 access to our network on Zone Alarm? I'll go ahead and post this, check ZA's settings, and get back with the results.

Thanks again, rodzilla, for your assistance. I appreciate it and remain open to any and all guidance you may provide in the future.

4. rodzilla

rodzilla Registered Member

> Right, I do appreciate the guidance you have provided. However, I can't get started because your step No. 3 "Click on mirror setup," and step No. 4 "Tick the box "Create Update Mirror," are not shown anywhere in my NOD32 Command Center. Either that, or I do not have NOD32 properly installed, or I don't know where to look for the "mirror" step referenced in your excellent step-by-step guidance. If it is found by clicking on the double "CC" icon, then clicking on "setup," it doesn't exist on my installed version of NOD32. I show only three tabs: "Update," "Info," and "Log," plus a "Connection Setup" box, and none of those takes me to "Mirror Setup."

Sounds like you will have to re-install NOD32 and tell it to create an update mirror during installation. (I assumed you had done this originally.)

> What bothers me most is that for some time after the original installation of NOD32, I could scan both the server (computer with our one cable modem attached) and the "client" computer (only other home computer attached to the server on the network) from the server. Both computers continue to "see" each other, and we share 3 printers, and all files on both computers' two hard drives, but my wife's two HD's, floppy, and CD ceased appearing as accessible for virus scanning in the NOD32 Control Center inexplicably about 3 months ago. That is when I burned a copy of the NOD32 Zip file to CD and installed it--illegally, as I discovered--on my wife's client computer.

> With no change in our networked shared files and hardware, but only in my ability to access the client compter for virus scanning, I suspect I may have to uninstall NOD32 from my server (it has been uninstalled from the client, so I am once again "Legal" and the Eset rep in Coronado, CA can relax and call off the Eset software dogs) and reinstall it, hoping thereby to see the "Mirror Setup" tab/box and regain access to the client computer.

Viruses are a "bums on seats" problem ... they hit you where you're sitting. For proper protection you must install antivirus software on all machines ...
    you cannot adequately protect a remote computer with any antivirus software.

> On the other hand, I just had a thought. Could I have denied NOD32 access to our network on Zone Alarm? I'll go ahead and post this, check ZA's settings, and get back with the results.

That's possible.

> Thanks again, rodzilla, for your assistance. I appreciate it and remain open to any and all guidance you may provide in the future.

You're welcome.

My "best" guidance is to license another copy of NOD32. We can't guarantee 100% protection 100% of the time ... no-one can ... but having NOD32 installed on both machines will put you closer to the magic 100% than anything else.

5. navalair

I checked, and NOD32 has (and always did have) full access to the network and internet on Zone Alarm, so no help there, so I may try uninstalling and reinstalling NOD32.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.