UPDATE: MSVCRT.DLL seems to be a pain in the ....but a new version resolved it

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by martindijk, Jun 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martindijk

martindijk Registered Member

It seems that every time i try to install NODv2 on my second pc the msvcrt.dll bug seems to pop up which runs te same operating system as my laptop which has no problems what soever.
    Nod32.krn causes a fault in msvcrt.dll, NOD starts but doesn't do anything, no scanning no updates.

When running NOD on my desktop even ICQlite is having problems with msvcrt.dll and crashes, even a time synchronizer called D4 crashes and yes due to msvcrt.dll.
    Allthough it is an excisting file on my windows, does NOD overwrite this file, cause NOD has this same file running in its own directory.

Anyone any clue with this bug called msvcrt.dllo_O

I had problems with msvcrt.dll, been looking on the web for a replacement, and i found out that there 3 different kinds, in size that is.

I downloaded them all and started copying and pasting through DOS mode and found one which didn't give any hassle anymore, so the msvcrt.dll crashes for me is over, pfew!!!!

Please copy and paste the whole link into your browser.

Here is the downloadlink:
    http://dll.yaroslavl.ru/index.php3?download=msvcrt.dll&ver=3

If the download link doesn't work, you have to search for it manually, look for size (280576 bytes).

Also:

CAUSE
    One possible cause of this error is that the application has written past the block of memory that is owned by a particular object. The small-block heapmemory manager that ships with the Visual C++ 6.0 run-time libraries incorporates heap control structures within the small-block heap. Overwriting the memory block changes small-block heap pointer addresses, effecting a bad pointer and possibly a fault in Msvcrt.dll when the pointer is referenced

RESOLUTION
    Application vendors need to ensure that their applications are using the C run-time small-block heap correctly.

To help customers who are experiencing this problem in their third-party applications, Microsoft has released a new C run-time dynamic-link library (DLL), Msvcrt.dll, which implements two heap managers: the Visual C++ version 5.0-compatible heap manager and the Visual C++ version 6.0-compatible heap manager. Msvcrt.dll detects which version of Visual C++ your application is built with, and uses the appropriate heap manager for that application. If the version is Visual C++ 6.0 or greater, the Visual C++ 6.0-compatible heap manager is used; if the version is earlier than version 6.0, the Visual C++ 5.0-compatible heap is used.

Visual Studio 6.0 users can get the new Msvcrt.dll file by installing the latest Microsoft Visual Studio Service Pack. If you are not using Visual Studio, install the Microsoft Libraries Update; for additional information, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base and for download:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;197298

Download:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeatured/Libraries/Default.asp

rgds,

Martin

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Re:MSVCRT.DLL seems to be a pain in the ....

Hi Martin,

that file is a shared file that can have numerous different versions (provided by numerous different programs). What I would do is to backup the version of the file that is on the problem station and copy the version that is on the working station and put it on the other (you may need to be in DOS mode or Safe mode to do this).

HTH,

Dan

3. martindijk

Hi Dan,
    Tried that but you can not overwrite this, it is protectedin some kind of way.

rgds.

Martin

4. Dan Perez

What OS are you running?

5. martindijk

Hi Dan,

On both machines ME, from the same installation disk.
    On my laptop i had the same probs with the beta versions, but when the final release came out, i had no probs at all.

rgds,

Martin

6. Dan Perez

hmmm, I have almost no experience with ME. If there is no way to boot to HD at the command prompt you should boot to a floppy. This will allow you to replace the file. Sorry I can't be more specific on steps :doubt:

7. martindijk

Hi Dan,

The thing is that i don't know which of the two dll's the crasches are relating to, the one on my system on the one in the NOD directory.

Don't know, iam getting a bit tired of this, maybe its time to switch back to V1 which runs smoothly, if this is a final release, well maybe for some, but not for me, i need a proper working AV without going through bugs and things that don't properly work, I don't have the time and luxury to play with these sort of things, specially at work, i'll stick with V1.

rgds,

Martin

8. Dan Perez

Hi Martin,

I can understand if you want to go back to v1 but in case you are still not sure,

If the dll's are different in the respective NOD directories that is definitely where you want to look first. Chances are, though, it is the one in the system directory that is reeking havoc.

In any case, its your call.

Regards,

Dan

9. martindijk

The thing is Dan, i don't have time to play around with these issues, at work i need a proper AV, don't have time for tweaking and copying-replacing files to see if that might work, at home oké, that is a different matter.

rgds,

Martin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.