Update Issue?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Capp, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I currently have ESS v3.0.669.0 Installed.

The most recent update it has received is: 3300 (20080725).

According to Eset's site, the version is up to 3304 now. Clicking the update button only tells me that no update is needed.

See attached screenshot.

Is this correct? Shouldn't it have downloaded the newest 4 definitions by now?

Thanks in advance :)

*edit* I also tried rebooting, clearing update cache, clearing all temp folders too.

Attached Files:

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Ok, apparently there is an issue. After seeing repeated posts on different forums besides the ESS one, there seem to be a lot of people having problems. Sorry for posting a duplicate problem, I did not see anything listed about it for ESS, only under EAV.

I click the update button, it tells me it is up to date. I check the log file, and this is what i see:

07/27/2008 6:44:30 AM Update Invalid Username and/or Password. NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

It never asked me to change it, and I've had the same username and password for 9 months.

All of this started once I upgraded to .669.

Should I revert back to the previous install I had until the issue is resolved.

Thank you

3. silverfox55

silverfox55 Registered Member

I am having the same problem with not updating. I have the same version as the OP but my current version is 3301. No error messages are shown when trying to update.

Will this problem be fixed soon o_O?

4. bdrdc

bdrdc Registered Member

delete C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET\ESET Smart Security\updfiles ,OK!

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The problem is that a very large, so-called base update with more than 100,000 new signatures has been generated for v2 users which, due to a high number of v2 users, currently affects also v3 users even though not in such an extent as v2 users. We are trying to find a way how to notify the user in the case of server overloads instead of giving a message that the program is up to date, which I understand is not correct.

6. silverfox55

silverfox55 Registered Member

Sorry should have said I have Vista Home prem. I have had a look and the above file does not exist

7. Rapid Dr3am

Rapid Dr3am Registered Member

What is the life cycle plan for v2? If I am going to be facing issues with my software as a direct result of older non-developed solutions, I would be forced to change supplier for this service.

8. Capp

Capp Registered Member

That doesn't work in this case. Already tried it, see OP. Thanks Anyway.

Marcos, is this something that only affects the new build? In my office and several of my clients that are running older builds, their systems update just fine. It seems to only be the systems with the newest build.

Also, do you suggest we just hang tight for a few. I'm not worried at all about my systems protection. As long as NOD is running, I have no worries. I just want to make sure we follow the correct procedures.

Thanks for all your hard work :thumb:

9. Marcos

I have the same problem with my ESS as you due to the high server load caused by v2 users downloading a very large update. We have calculated that if only v3 users were updating, the situation would consolidate within an hour or so. We're gonna install additinal bunch of new update servers which will alleviate the impact of such large updates in the future. Also with increasing number of v3 users upgrading from v2, the server load will be significantly lower.

10. cocolucho

cocolucho Registered Member

ESS currently has installed v3.0.669.

The most recent update that he has received is as follows: 3307 (20080729).

According to Eset's site, the 3308 version is up to now. Clicking the update button tells me that not only update is needed.
    Is this correct, that happens, or I have to reinstall ESS again?.
    Any solution or we have to wait

11. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

Just as a continuing reference and not a complaint on a known issue: it's JUL 30 @ 5:50 a.m. CDT USA and I'm stuck on Virus Sig Update 3304 (7/2:cool:.

6:47 am CDT Kept Trying manual Update and finally got in . Now at 3309 Manually.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  12. laneseda

laneseda Registered Member

I've used Eset's NOD32 for some years now and, more recently, ESS. In this time I've recognised that whenever a legitimate issue is raised the response from Eset has been, in the vast majority of cases, quick and across the board.

I first noticed that my ESS installation was not updating a couple of days ago and checked this forum to see what was happening. Today (July 30th), the ESS virus signature database updated to version 3309 without any problem and without my intervention.

Perhaps a modicum of patience is required, the more so in light of the Eset moderator's post above regarding data volumes / server loads.

Regards,
    Lane

13. ingber

ingber Registered Member

I have 2 Thinkpad a31p XP Pro SP3 PCs running ESET 669. One has database 3310, the other 3308. When I try to update the 3308 machine, it keeps coming back that ESET is already updated? What is going on with this?

Lester

14. Marcos

That's because of the large update for v2 users that puts strain on the update servers. However, clicking the "Update virus signature database" several times should eventually download the update, or simply leave it as is for a couple of hours and it should update itself.

15. ingber

ingber Registered Member

Marcos:

I did what you suggested, and after a few attempts I updated the PC.

Thanks.

Lester

16. cinek

cinek Registered Member

I have the same problem..... virus signature database 3309
    latest signature database 3313

17. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

5 a.m. in U.S. is mid-day in Europe, and I suspect my inability to Manually Update now is from that fact -- and why my Manual Update success yesterday was in late afternoon here. Keep trying until the Big File Update demand subsides. It's rare this happens so I can live with it.

Edit: 1:32 p.m. CDT USA After 5 quick-repeat attempts to Manually Update it finally went from 3309 to 3315. All is well until next attempt. This too shall pass!

Edit 8/1 -- 5 a.m. CDT USA: ESS Updated ITSELF this a.m. so things must be back to normal.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  18. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

Why not just drop support for V2 so this won't happen again :mad:
    I am sorry it is taking a long time to fix the problem so i wonder if i can get a refund.

Thanks!

19. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Mine updated last night. :thumb:

The strange thing is, for the past couple of days I have been trying to manually update it and gotten the "already up to date" message. Last night, I click Update and it prompts me for my username and password. I figure that can't be right, so I cancel and go to my setup. Sure enough, my username and password are no longer there. :blink:
    I re-enter them and it updates just fine.

But, for the past week, it has not told me anything about a missing username or password. It just said it was up to date.

20. cinek

cinek Registered Member

I checked few times.... my username and pass are still there .......

EDIT: just re-entered the username and pass and it updated to the latest version...... strange :S

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  21. prasid

prasid Registered Member

This is not a true decision.I'm completed ur process.But invain....:)

22. misterme

misterme Registered Member

Here's a radical idea, BUY THE SOFTWARE!!, I have a fully bought and paid for version of the program which updates fine. I have also seen a few of the versions that have suposedly been 'cracked' and they fail to update.

BASICALLY IF YOU WANT TO USE THIS SOFTWARE, PAY FOR IT!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  23. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Just out of curiosity, who are you directing this to?

If its to me, then I'm sorry to inform you that I currently use a dozen Paid for licenses on all my systems and networks and am a Reseller/Partner with ESET and have been for over 4 years with hundreds of satisfied customers.

I do not see anybody posting anything in this thread at all that would merit a response indicating a person is using a cracked version.

24. TheMafioso

TheMafioso Registered Member

I've Eset Smart Security 3.0.669 and i've exactly same problem since 28 July...

Do you know when it will be fixed?

25. Marcos

V3 has been updating for about 5 days so far without any problems. If you still cannot update, try clearing the update cache. Should the problem persist, try a complete uninstall / reinstall or contact ESET customer care. It'd be of an interest to get and check a log from Wireshark with the communication with the update servers captured.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.