Update: CCleaner v3.19.1721 Released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by prius04, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

CCleaner v3.19.1721 Released
    24th May 2012

Release notes v3.19.1721 (24 May 2012):

- Added option to skip User Account Control (UAC) warning.
    - Added support for Firefox 13.0 beta.
    - Moved Thunderbird to be cleaned separately.
    - Improved Aurora History cleaning.
    - Improved Google Chrome Saved Passwords cleaning.
    - Improved Scheduled Tasks detection.
    - Improved Uninstaller Installation Date on XP.
    - Added cleaning for BitDefender.
    - Improved detection for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, VLC Media Player and Avast! Antivirus 6.
    - Minor bug fixes.

v3.19 News: http://www.piriform.com/blog/2012/5/24/ccleaner-v319
    Download: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds (slim version pending)

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Where are those pesky slim builds ? Version history may be viewed here

3. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

For some reason the Piriform slim download link never works for me so instead of trying to figure it out I've been using Major Geeks.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html

It takes up to a week after the regular release for the slim to be released. Keep checking the link, in a few days it should change to the new version.

4. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

I wish they'd correctly detect the avast! version running; it still lists 7 as 6. Nice that they've moved Thunderbird to its own category for cleaning.

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Let the nice folks at CCleaner know of this issue, third party links is not the answer to a problem. See my previous post as to the slim build.
    It's the same answer no matter how you ask the question, wait for it to be released.

6. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

waiting for the slim clean version

7. allizomeniz

The Seeker, I have to agree. Piriform has known about the problem for a long time, they've simply chosen to ignore it. The more I use CCleaner the more my illusion that it's a great product has faded. It's just okay, but still it's better overall than the others I've tried which doesn't say much for the competition.

It has some good things going for it, it's lightweight, doesn't do any harm as a rule and is easy to use. But in other ways it's very poorly written, like the Avast issue. It also ignores Avast entirely on XP because of the way it's written. There are many other issues.

The good news is you can customize CCleaner quite a bit with Resource Hacker:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Hacker

You can change Avast 6 to 7 and also make it clean Avast by default on XP by pointing it to the right folder. For a primer on how to change the code to suit your needs see the spoilers in the first post here:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=32310

There's a learning curve for both Resource Hacker and modifying CCleaner but once you figure it out it's a breeze. :)

8. guest

guest Guest

Piriform should stop launching "slim." It's a misleading name, the program is the same, the only difference is one less box to uncheck during installation (the box that would give Google Chrome). Some people seem to prefer to "wait for the slim version" as if this "version" was relevant.

9. allizomeniz

lol, I agree. There really is no serious reason to have the slim builds. If all you have is dialup it saves a few minutes downloading, but the difference between 2 or 3 mb is trivial even for dialup. :D

10. prius04

I also agree about the slim build, particularly when a portable version is available. I'm still left to wonder what advantage, if any, there is to actually installing this program versus just using the portable version.

I've been using the portable flavor for years on my XP machines. I created a CCleaner folder and simply unzip new versions into that folder. Following that, I delete the language files, 64-bit file, and even the license file. Ultimately, I'm left with 3 files; CCleaner.exe, ccleaner.ini, and portable.dat, which seemingly works fine, for my purposes at least.

11. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Have you tried SlimCleaner 3.0? It has quickly turned into my go to over CCleaner.

12. allizomeniz

SlimCleaner looks a little over the top for my needs. I'm not a big fan of the cloud either. Local is the way I roll. :cool:

13. prius04

I have tried SlimCleaner, in fact. Not bad at all but I prefer CCleaner for several reasons:

For one, CCleaner is lightning fast compared to SlimCleaner. It also has a much smaller footprint and, as has been pointed out, doesn't depend on the cloud.

Further, CCleaner is truly portable while the "portable version" of SlimCleaner appears to insert a folder into Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data. If that folder is deleted, then on the next start of SlimCleaner, my default browser opens and takes me to the SlimWare Utilities home page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.