Unwanted Registry Entries

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by chesben, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chesben

chesben Registered Member

Hi

I ran a different Spyware programme yesterday ( SPYSUBTRACT) and it found a "Minor" problem in my registry none of the other spyware programmes I have found it!!

[[ HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\current version\internet settings\zone map\domains\search squire.com]]

When I went iton the registry to look at the line, i noticed not just this one but hundreds of .com domains. Most of them very definitely not sites I have ever loged onto.

I run AVG antivirus - Sygate Firewall - AdWatch Monitor - SpyWare Blaster and daily clean with AdAware SE pro and SpyBot Search as well as the antivirus programme.

The entry i went into the registry initially for was for the Search Squire.com line as refered to above.

Can anyone tell me:

Why all these entries have got into the registry in the first place?

Can I safetly without messing up anything delete the whole [[Domain]] directory in the registry and if so how do I delete them on block as it lookes as if I have to delete them one at a time which will take a very long time?

Would appreciate any help.

Regards

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey chesben,

With Internet Explorer....sites can be added to either the Trusted Zone or Restricted Zone. The place in the registry that these sites are stored is in the Domains key that you are asking about.

Related info---> Adding sites/servers to the Internet Explorer Restricted Zone

In the case of Spywareblaster....one of it's program features is the ability to add known sites to the Resticted Zone of IE that will restrict the actions of spyware/ad/tracking sites in Internet Explorer. Some of those sites you see in the Domains key will most definetly be sites you have never logged into before.

As far as Spysubtract and it's flagging of the search squire.com....it is falsely reporting a valid entry possibly placed there by Spybot's Immunize function, IE-Spyad(if you use that program)....etc....but Spywareblaster did not add that site because it is not part of it's Restricted Sites database.

Related thread---> https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=61997

[​IMG] By all means do not delete the Domains key until you fully understand the purpose of that key. If I have not explained it well enough....Please post back and we'll attempt to explain it further [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  3. chesben

chesben Registered Member

Hi Bubba

That explains it fully, thanks

Good of you to take the time.

Think I'll discard Spysubtract and rely on the others.

I can now stop wondering if I'd been surfing in my sleep.

Regards :D

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You are Welcome ;)

I am not condoning nor condeming Spysubtract because of this False positive. All of the Adware\Spyware programs exhibit False positives from time to time. It does matter how slow these programs respond to False positives that are reported to them by their users. I would suggest you first make sure you have the latest update....and if not....get that update and re-scan. If search-squire still shows up....I would then question the slowness of why it's not fixed because it has been reported a number of times.

Regards,
    Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.