Unusual Asquared scan result

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by roark37, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

I ran an online scan with Asquared and got one hit as a Trace for something called "Trace.Directory.Spyware.Matewatcher". It said it was from the file C:/Workssetup. I can't understand how this could be. This scan was done on a laptop only a few months old that I don't even use too much. I then ran scans from Ewido, Superantispyware, & Kaspersky and all came up totally clean. Although Works is on my laptop I have never used it or even opened it so I am not sure how it got infected if it did. My questions are the following:

Has anyone else got this result, especially in the last week or so? On the Asquared forum there was a post from someone that had exactly the same problem. I had run a scan from A2 about a month ago and it came back totally clean.

Is there any possible way that a Microsoft update could be the cause? I figure its a reach but just before the recent scan there was a decent sized update that was installed and I can't think of anything else it could be.

I was/am hoping to post this question directly to Asquared also but I haven't got an email back from my registration on their forum, possibly because I used a web based email. Hopefully they will see this here but any advice or recommendations anyone has would be greatly appreciated. I could just delete all of works just to be safe as I doubt I will ever use it but I am just trying to understand if this is real malware or possible just a false positive.

Thanks.

roark37

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I think you need to submit the file to emisoft, explaining that you suspect it is a false positive:-

fp@emsisoft.com

I'm surprised you cannot register at the A2 Forum using web-based email, I myself use web mail and had no trouble registering; but that was some time ago and it may be that the spam filters are giving problems these days by wrongly blocking the A2 servers. You could try again though!

Maybe you could mention the registration difficulty when submitting the file.

I wouldn't delete the file until you've heard from emisoft because it is only a trace finding and is very likely to be a fp.

3. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Thanks TopperID. I did as you suggested and emailed Asquared. If I hear back I will let you know.

I'm curious if anyone else has got this scan result or what it might be.

Thanks again.

roark37

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.