UnThreat

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Habakuck, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

So a blend of Avast and AVG in interface and using Vipre engine..?

2. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Downloaded the Pro version from Softpedia and installed on a clean image of XP Pro SP3 with the current Windows Update.

While this AV might be OK to install and forget on Auntie Zelda's PC, I ran into a multitude of unresolvable annoyances and a serious crash.

Confirmed is Vipre. Version 3 is the core while all other drivers and libraries are 4. I'm not familiar enough with Vipre to comment on whether or not those versions are the ones currently in Sunbelt's release.

There are no options during install; run setup, watch, click reboot.

If you disable anything in protection you are presented with an ugly beyond words and permanent in-your-face warning. This could be as simple as turning off IM or P2P on a system you have no intention of ever running IM or P2P.

I went through all the settings and maxed everything: selecting "all files" and "prompt me to act" and "let me specify" and "prompt for action" and "public" and "manual" etc. etc. In other words, everything that I perceived would give me full control of all system activity.

I have a shortcut to the Windows Firewall in the root of Start. EVERY time I opened it, there's a block. The popup closes so quickly I can barely click on View Details (which offers no options or actions) let alone snag a screenie - so I took a photo. The lnk file never appeared in Always Blocked Items nor is there any tool to add it to Always Allow Items. I scoured the settings for some way to turn off that blocking behavior - nothing. The only work around was to remove it from the Start menu.

The first Internet app I opened was Iron Portable 9 and it ran without so much as a peep from UT. A fully trusted Allow rule was built automatically. There is no way to edit the rule, but the green checkmark can be changed to a red X for Block or a blue ? for Ask. I changed it to Ask and when I allowed Iron with a "remember" to a port 80 outbound the rule reverted to fully trusted.

While playing some more with the firewall, the system locked up. I capture that again with a camera shot. I was able to evoke Task Manager and shut down UT.

The uninstaller was efficient (no reboot needed) with only two minor registry keys needing manual deletion.

You're welcome! ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2011
  3. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

It really sounds like a Rogueware and why the main interface looks like avast!?

4. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Because they obviously stole the layout/concept and then wrapped it in an ugly skin...

I mean, there's just no doubt they were "inspired" by avast, they didn't even bother to change the names of the navigation items etc.:)

5. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I think next to that they stole the status screen and firewall overview from avast!, they stole even more from AVG.

But I think, if you steal do it properly. Because it looks really fugly.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011
  6. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Is the first VB100 Award for this product and the first VBRAP test, too
    i hope to see this product soon in AV-C And AV-Test

7. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Shame!
    Be aware of these guys so called UnThreat Antivirus :p

8. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb: :D

9. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

Virus Bulletin should look into before they test this Rogueware.

10. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

A more than slight over-reaction perhaps?

11. monkeybutt

monkeybutt Registered Member

On this site....never:p

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Your scientific evidence being?

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  13. LethalBoy

LethalBoy Registered Member

It's not a Rogueware so stop making crazy comments like that without evidence.

14. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

It seems to me that it is not a rogueware, they can't use the vipre engine without licensing it on GFI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.