Unscheduled Prevx Scans - Exclusions List

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by NBP Pipsquack Bird, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NBP Pipsquack Bird

NBP Pipsquack Bird Registered Member

Two separate questions:

1. Is there a way to prevent or temporarily suspend Prevx from running unscheduled scans?

Even though I set Prevx to scan once a day, at times it performs a deep scan on its own out of the blue (presumably at the behest of Prevx servers?)
    In concept I dont mind the extra scanning, its just that it has started a scan while I was in the middle of an AV scan, and another time it started scanning when I was moving some large files across the network.
    In each case the Prevx Deep scan slowed the other process to a crawl.
    Would be nice if it only scanned while system is idle, or only on a schedule, or have a "suspend scans" button.

2. How many of you / is it recommended to add Prevx files to the exclusions list of a systems AV program?

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

1. Make sure the scheduler scan setting checkbox "Start the scan exactly at the scheduled time ..." is checked.

2. Excluding the prevx program folder from scanning by an AV doesn't have any benefit, but if the AV allows you to exclude processes from its real-time guard then adding prevx.exe to the list of excluded processes will prevent the AV from double-scanning during a scheduled prevx scan.

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

In addition to this, it would also be worth unchecking the boxes for Scan on bootup if you have them checked. There is no way for our database to request a scan from the agent so I'm unsure how it would have started a scan on its own unless it was configured to do so.

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I've seen this happen when the daily scheduled scan hasn't take place at the scheduled time, even though the PC has been powered on at the time. This happens quite a lot on my system and I've found the daily scheduled scans to be a bit erratic - sometimes they happen and sometimes they don't, even though the PC is left on all of the time and the setting to scan at the exact time is enabled.

Whenever a scheduled scan doesn't happen, it will happen after the next boot but not necessarily straight away. It can be some time before the scan actually fires up, giving the appearance of random scanning behaviour. It can't be a normal bootup scan because I have automatic bootup scans disabled, so I assume this is happening because I have the setting enabled to scan on bootup if a scheduled scan has been missed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.