Unprotected Hour... Am I OK?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Hangetsu, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

I posted this question on the Kaspersky forums as well, but given the question is generic, I'm hoping the experts here can chime in as well!!

I recently uninstalled Norton 360 due to issues with ccApp taking upwards of a GB of RAM on the PC when playing online games. Tech Support was practically useless (I stopped trying when they started going over the re-install procedures). So, as I have a license for KIS, I decided to give it a try on Vista - While its "Vista Compatible", I don't think it has Microsoft's certification yet, which is why I switched.

After uninstalling Norton 360 using the Norton Uninstall Utility and rebooting, I tried installing KIS 6 (621 release) several times. Following the screens (install location, Complete install, etc.), I would get to the installation part itself where two pop-up errors would appear that simply contained "Installation failed."). The funny part is, clicking OK on these windows would allow KIS to continue through.

After reboot, KIS appears to be functioning normally - getting updates, scanning, all services working, etc. - But two things concern me: First, the errors themselves (i.e. is something on my computer blocking KIS' install), and second the hour my PC didnt have security software.

I did a little research on my PC, and I'm showing Norton 360 in the "installed AV" and "installed firewall" listings of Security Center. I have instructions on removing several registry entries that may be sitting out there still.

Granted, I'm behind a NAT firewall router, Vista is fully patched, KIS' full scan detected nothing, and during the time w/o software I wrote to you on a different PC (so I wasn't surfing the web unprotected).

These may be anal-retentive questions (particularly since I'm very safe with surfing, have no real 3rd party / shareware / etc apps installed, etc.), but thought it worth seeing if anyone else would be concerned.

Thanks in advance!

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

As for 360 showing up in the Security Center, check this thread and all the links in it. Linky

3. Engelhardt

Engelhardt Registered Member

Running KIS v7 beta on both of my Vista business edition machines and on one I get the dual Installation failed boxes. I have on 4 different installs now. The other machine no error. Don't know what it is because everthing checks out fine. Just thought I would mention your not alone on the error deal.

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Run security software if it makes you feel better BUT I would argue that with a NAT Firewall router and some common sense you could surfer for years without needing anti-virus programs. Don't worry.

5. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

Now THAT makes me feel better, thanks Engelhardt! The KIS folks on their forums have been very helpful as well as those here (as usual).

6. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I had the same thing happen to me installing Avira on a Vista machine.
    Two error messgaes pop up simultaneously and when I o.k. each message the installation completes, then I'm asked to reboot, after a reboot I update the AV and everything works as if nothing happend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.