Unknown Spyware

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by CecilBritton, Feb 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CecilBritton

CecilBritton Registered Member

I had a call from a neighbor lady to look at her Windows98 computer and see if I could fix a problem. When I turned the computer on all was okay but as soon as I went on the net, up popped a pretty large window announcing a MAPI problem and asking for the email account, server names and the user's password. I closed the window but it kept popping back up about every 30 seconds. I later found that the same thing happened when I was off line. I have seen MAPI errors before but I have never seen one that asked for a user's password so my guess was that she had downloaded some kind of trojan or spyware of some type.

I found HBinst.exe, the Hotbar installer on the machine so I know she has played around with some mildly dangerous spyware. When I tried to put Hijackthis on her computer via a utility CD I carry at all times I was unable to read it from her CDROM drive. The contents of the drive were shown as a couple of files that I know are not on the CD and I also couldn't find them on the computer.

Has anyone seen an occurrence of this type before and if so what is a recommended solution.

Thanks,
    Cecil Britton

2. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Hi and welcome to Wilders. I have removed Hotbar & Hbinst on several computers and it is not quick nor easy as I did it differently from the site I am pointing you to. Hbinst has a tendency to write protect itself, deny access to name a few.
    You will find removal instructions on this site as well as a description of the spyware/trojan: http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/h/Hotbar.asp

If you go into your registry, be sure to back it up first. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.