Unix/Linux Users: What do you use for file based backup and image backups?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by apathy, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apathy

apathy Registered Member

It's difficult for me to keep an eye on all the great developments out there.

Here is what I use

File Based:
    Crashplan: Crashplan+ is my offsite backup safety blanket.
    Deja Dup: Uploads my files to Ubuntu One
    Jbackpack: Excellent rdiff-backup based software that backs up and encrypts your data with a nice front end.

Image Based:
    Image For Linux: I've been using it for years now and I still have grub issues but it is rock solid.
    Clonezilla: Great program with some annoying limitations but also rock solid.

Tell me what you use and why!!

2. Mr. Y

Mr. Y Registered Member

I have been using Acronis for years (long before I stumbled onto Ubuntu).

If you catch it at the right sale at Fry's Electronics, you can get it for $10 to $20 with rebate.

I use their "live CD" feature.

Not sure if it supports ext4 file system yet

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't use anything. Most linux distros can be installed and fully updated in an hour or thereabouts, so a complete reinstall is no big deal for me. I just don't see any need to image. I keep my data on an external usb drive.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Yeah, I don't really do anything. I backup my custom kernels to the cloud and that's it.

BTRFS will make backing up nearly instantaneous apparently.

5. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Same here!

6. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Using Clonezilla, the restore can be done in 2 min. Same as the OP, I use both clonezilla and image for linux, but image for linux could not back up the grub installed on drive MBR. clonezilla works like a charm.

The op, you can also try paragon hard disk manager 12 that support ext4.

7. moontan

moontan Registered Member

if it's issues with Grub 2 make sure you set the First Track to "0" instead of "AUTO".

many tnx to Brian K for that tip! :thumb:

8. moontan

moontan Registered Member

there's a big difference between 3 minutes to restore an image and 1 hour to install from scratch.

especially at my age when i have more time behind me than ahead. ;)

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I guess it depends on how often you're changing things. If you're swapping OS's on a daily basis, then sure, images would be quicker. Otherwise, I don't think an hour every now and then will hurt anyone. But to each his own as they say.. :)

10. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

While a distribution can be reinstalled, any customization is lost.

I use several programs depending on needs. Most of my computers are on a scheduled backup routine using rsnapshot. Backups are made to a backup server or to another physical hard drive in the same machine. Rsnapshot has saved the day many times. For making major changes or moving things around I find FSArchiver extremely useful via SystemRescueCd or RIPLinuX disk. Two other programs I use are Tar and DAR

For imaging it's Clonezilla and Redo Backup and Recovery which is basically a point and click simple backup and recovery tool. This laptop I am typing from now has both Windows XP and PCLinuxOS installed has been successfully restored on two occasions.

11. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i guess someone said in old forums of clonezilla that grub 2 issue dont come in ubuntu base cd please correct if i am wrong

i use clonezilla once and it work well and i have old grub not grub2 installed :rolleyes:

12. shuverisan

shuverisan Registered Member

Why no love for dd? Clones block for block, handles cloning encrytped drives, preserves timestamps and permissions, included with the distro, one command to copy a partition or drive, another to restore.

13. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

maybe because the file size of the backup?
    using clonezilla, a 20GB partition with 5GB of data on it can produce a backup file with the size of 2GB. using dd, I think the backup will be 20GB.

14. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Image for Linux for me. Testing Macrium now.

15. tlu

tlu Guest

Clonezilla for my root partition and an rsync-based script for an incremental backup of my home partition.

16. apathy

apathy Registered Member

When BTRFS is stable enough that my files won't get eaten and some decent linux tools come with, I'm there.

I've heard a few horror stories from OpenSuse users and btrfs, so I'm spooked for now.

17. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

clonezilla, grsync ...
    Mrk

18. dhopley

dhopley Registered Member

Dear Forum ,
    Hi , purely for the ease of usage of the Partimage GUI on the SystemRescuedCD I am still using EXT3 with my Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to do monthly backups of the OS , and my EXT3 data and Firefox profiles to both a USB stick and separately to an external file .
    Derek

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.