Universal Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by paddy666, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paddy666

paddy666 Registered Member

I have made a back up of my old machine and I’m in the process of using Universal Restore using "Acronis True Image Echo Workstation". The new Machine I want to install it on is a Dell Dimension C521, now during the install process it asks if I want to install any drivers? Does it mean for the Dell Dimension C521 or should it pick all those up on its own? If not where do I get them from and when and how do I install them during the process.

The problem I’ve got is that if I do nothing when it finishes its install I can’t use the USB mouse or keyboard which means it’s useless.

What if I installed this on another machine that has PS2 mouse and keyboard would I still have the same problem?

Or I’m I doing it wrong? If so HELP cos it’s doing my nut in. :(

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

It's asking for drivers for the C521. The backup Image will already have all the drivers for the old machine which most likely will be useless on the new machine.

3. paddy666

Thats prob why it wont pick up the usb Keyboard and mouse?

Any idea where i get the drivers from and where in the process i have to install these drivers for it to run correctly?

Thanks

4. DwnNdrty

Didn't the new system come with a driver disk? They usually do. If not you can download them from the manufacturer's website. You install the drivers when the UR process asks for them.

5. paddy666

I have a disk that says "resourceCD" Which says it contains "Device drivers"?

If this is it where in the reinstall do i use it?

6. DwnNdrty

Yes, that's the cd with the drivers for the C521.

After the Restore process asks if you want to use UR and you answer Yes, the next dialog window should be the one where you add the drivers - and you have to manually add them one by one. You therefore have to know which file on the cd is the driver for the usb keyboard and mouse.

7. paddy666

Any idea how you would do that is there and extention that i could search for?
    Or something to make it easier?

8. DwnNdrty

Put the cd in a working system and do a search .... see if any of the folders or files look as though it has to do with the keyboard or mouse drivers.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello paddy666,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that most modern operating systems have drivers for USB keyboard and mouse included. They might take some time to search and install them, so please try waiting some time longer after Windows has booted to logon screen.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

10. stevewa

stevewa Registered Member

Hi Paddy,

In my experience with Dell computers, the driver disk that they supply with the computer has an installation program on it which you run on the dell computer. Unfortunately that does not help you when you are trying to restore to a brand new machine without an operating system.

I also think that if you try to use it on a non-dell system, or a dell system but a different model number, it will tell you that it is the wrong drivers for the system , or this is not a dell system etc.

I know if you go to support.dell.com and enter the service tag of the dell 521 you can choose the drivers that you want to download, but when I have done that, it is usually in the form of an exe file that you run to unpack and install the drivers. So I think if you did that, you would need to run the exe on a separate working machine, install the drivers, then pay attention to the name of the folder where they were installed, then copy them to a cd-r or dvd disk. then when restoring to the dell, when it asks for drivers, feed it that cd-r or dvd with the driver files copied to it.

you could also install the regular dell restore on the dell 521 to get it to the factory settings for the dell, copy the drivers onto a cd-r, then do your acronis restore to that new machine.

Hopefully one of those configurations will work for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.