Universal Restore & WGA

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by foghorne, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

As I understand it XPs Windows Genuine Advantage forces its way onto your machine via Windows Update and then registers things like your MAC address and your harddisk serial number against your OS license in a centralised repository and then periodically "phones home" to ensure these haven't changed. If they do suddenly change the implication is that it assumes you are running a pirate copy of the OS.

Obviously this sounds like it would make moving XP installation across machines difficult - Universal Restore sounds like it could fall foul of this. Has anyone had any anecdotal evidence of using Universal Restore with Windows Genuine Advantage?

Thanks
    Foghorne

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Could Acronis please comment on the possibility that Windows Genuine Advantage (currently for XP) could prevent the transfer and activation of an installation to different hardware using Acronis Universal Restore because the new installation would effectively be detected as a pirate one.

WGA seems to be the way MS are going, and I understand is built into Vista as standard, I'm not sure about Longhorn but it wouldn't surprise me if it is in there too.

Thoughts please

Foghorne.

3. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

For home user with OEM licenses you could be right. But for Busnisses that use OLP licenses and VLK keys theres no problem.

You can use 1 key for all your stations ;-)

go OLP and your save!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.