Uninstalled CCleaner due to lost trust. Alternatives?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by pegas, Sep 19, 2017.

1. pegas

pegas Registered Member

With the option Exclude in Settings you can add specific registry keys and values, files and folders which will be globally excluded from scanning/cleaning.

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Yeah, I know. But after a discussion between the dev of NoScript and CCleaner devs years ago, CCleaner avoids that out of the box.

Besides, I did try disabling specific options for FF in Privacy Eraser in settings and just about had to avoid cleaning Firefox at All. Couldn't be bothered searching for specific folders, trial and error...

3. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I don't use FF but I believe the extensions settings are stored in the user profile folder, something like extensions.json or so. I'd rather spend time determining what to exclude than installing CCleaner crap but that's me, not you. :)

A simple query into the Google search yields many clues.

4. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Now I remember why I uninstalled CCleaner in the first place. All marketing options were disabled but about every other time I opened CCleaner there was a pop up offering a discount to the Pro version. The final nail in the coffin came this morning when I got a pop up saying I had outdated drivers. I had never even looked at that tab.

Back to Privacy Eraser. Strangely, PE doesn't seem to be messing with my Firefox extension now.

5. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

This Pop-up Window related to Outdated Drivers is really Annoying! :mad:
    Is there a way to stop it?

6. ArchiveX

7. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I do not allow CCleaner to access the Internet, which seems to do the trick.

8. ArchiveX

Do you use a Firewall or...?:doubt:

9. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Nope. I use my anti-malware app which can restrict app permissions.

10. lmacri

lmacri Registered Member

Just an FYI that Avast / Piriform posted a notification banner at the top of the CCleaner forum at https://community.ccleaner.com/forum/4-ccleaner/ today that reads:

CCleaner Announcement Changes to Custom Clean in CCleaner Free 29 May 2024.png

Note that this banner disappears once the notification message is read. I had to close my Firefox browser (which automatically clears my cookies on exit) to get the banner to re-appear again.

Moderator hazelnut has speculated in Leon's 27-May-2024 topic CCleaner topic CCleaner does not respect my choice that Avast / Piriform is planning to remove the Custom Clean feature from CCleaner Free to try and force users to upgrade to CCleaner Professional.
    -----------
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.4412 * Firefox v126.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.24040.4 -1.1.24040.1 * Malwarebytes Premium v5.1.4.112-1.0.1244 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.23.11010

11. lmacri

lmacri Registered Member

Apologies in advance since I haven't read all previous 27 pages of this topic yet.

Could anyone recommend a replacement for CCleaner Free Portable? At present I only do basic disk cleaning with CCleaner's Custom Clean feature (primarily to purge temporary files and Windows Explorer recent documents / MRU lists about once a week) and would like the following features:
    • Must be able to clean system temp files in both C:\Windows\TEMP\ and C:\Users\<myusername>\AppData\Local\Temp\.
    • Must show a detailed preview with the names and location of all files pending deletion before cleaning is initiated.
    • Must have an option to only delete files in temp folders that are older than 24 hours.
    • Should be available as Portable build (but this isn't an absolute requirement).
    So far I've tested BleachBit Portable (good but I can't see a way to keep temp files created in the past 24 hours) and Privacy Eraser Portable [which I didn't like - the preview of the scan results only showed a file count and amount of disk space to be cleaned, and it did not behave like a Portable app - e.g., by default it was configured to launch at Windows startup and left all sorts of junk on my system after it was deleted from my removable USB stick).

I've also heard good things about the PortablApps.com version of ccPortable but I'm not sure that future releases of this app will continue to include a functioning Custom Clean feature if Avast completely removes this feature from CCleaner Free instead of simply disabling the "Run Cleaner" button.
    ------------
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.4412 * Firefox v127.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.24050.7-1.1.24050.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v5.1.5.116-1.0.1252 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.23.11010

12. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

13. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Noup, upgraded my SSD, don't care about cleaning anymore.

14. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Thanks for your reply, @Pliskin. Are there any other AppCleaner users here?

PS: I uploaded the most recent portable version of AppCleaner to VT. Result: 13/68 security vendors, including GData, Eset, DrWeb and Malwarebytes, flagged the ZIP file as malicious (riskware/adware/PUA/PUP).:eek:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2024
  15. SRT

SRT Registered Member

All I have is Privazer, Hibit uninstaller, and Privacy Eraser (pro),
    CC will never enter this machine.
    Good luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.