Uninstalled CCleaner due to lost trust. Alternatives?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by pegas, Sep 19, 2017.

1. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

CookieAutodelete is great for handling cookies, it removes them constantly, so it is actually better than one time clean (once a day) with WDC.

Attached Files:

2. layman

layman Registered Member

CCleaner's cookie manager is far superior to WDC's, fer sure. Since WDC's hasn't even worked for me, I've pulled the plug on the program altogether. I am trying out Privacy Eraser's. It has a manager for each browser, which could be seen either as a feature or a PITA, depending on how you use it. PrivaZer's cookie manager is very similar to CCleaner's, but it's somewhat hidden away in the program's haphazard UI. Whether or not PrivaZers UI and control flow could use a bit of rethinking by a usability expert, it has become the cleaner I am using in place of CCleaner. I'm currently in the process of yanking all Piriform utilities from our machines.

3. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

4. imdb

imdb Registered Member

privacy ereaser (free version), before its vendor being rebranded as cybertron from originally "privacyeraser computing, inc.", was much better. now it has become pretty useless.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

If you email them, they may be able to help you. When I emailed them, they replied in a few minutes.

6. Deaddy

Deaddy Registered Member

But in Privacy Ereaser, at the end of the scan, when it shows the final report, how do you go into detail to see what actually deletes (registry keys, files, ...)? We have to eliminate everything on trust?

7. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I ditched CCleaner and am now using the latest version of BleachBit Portable. I'm very pleased so far. I also like its built-in shredder for files and folders. Great open-source software.:thumb:

8. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I plan on staying with CCleaner, at least for the time being, but would like to plan ahead just in case I decide later to remove it. If that is the case, I am considering Wise Registry Cleaner and Wise Disk Cleaner. Like always, I look for advice first from our members before doing anything on my own. Anyone having experience with these two programs who would like to share that experience I would appreciate it very much. As always I appreciate all replies and would thank you in advance.

John

9. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

bleachbit is limited to files, although it can use winapps2.ini. programs are not ticked by default, no registry feature. its a reduced ccleaner clone, nevertheless cookies should have been handled in (any) browser and system has its own data cleaning routines.

wise registry is way too much intrusive, it will destroy your registry and working system and it does. for newbies with several other problems absolutely not recommended.

10. roger_m

I highly recommend Wise Disk Cleaner. It can safely clean a lot more junk that CCleaner and you can schedule it to run regularly. It cleans more junk, because it can clean junk files from a lot of third party applications.

On the other hand, I advise against using Wise Registry Cleaner, as it is minor issues with false positives, which means it can remove needed registry keys. Also, CCleaner's registry cleaner, has very minor issues with false positives. There is need to ever clean the registry. It is exceptionally rare for a registry cleaner to actually speed up your computer, or fix any problems and at least 99% of registry cleaners will delete needed registry keys.

11. imdb

imdb Registered Member

if you're ok with paying for it, r-w&c is unrivaled in this league.

12. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

What exactly is that? Not familiar with the acronym.

13. imdb

imdb Registered Member

sorry, here it is:
    https://www.r-wipe.com/

it's the most comprehensive tool of its kind, esp. for w10. it has a 30-day fully functional trial. give it a try, it's a keeper.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  14. roger_m

I just installed it, for the first time. It seems to be very good for clearing usage traces, but I would never use it in it's current form. I don't like that you need to manually select what you want to clean. While you can right click and Select All to check everything, there are a lot of items that I would want to manually uncheck. I'm more concerned about cleaning junk files, than every possible usage trace and cleaning every single usage trace, is something that I have no interest in doing.

With Wise Disk Cleaner and HDCleaner you can install and use them with the default settings, without manually configuring anything.

15. imdb

imdb Registered Member

@roger_m
    yeah, but with r-w&c, you can see every single item that is to be wiped. the others don't offer that. besides, it's highly customizable, you can hide or show (un)desired components (tools->customize).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  16. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

All I'll say about CCleaner, is that I ditched it years ago, after it nearly borked my XP desktop! Still running after more than 10 years!

17. roger_m

Actually they do, as you can see below. In WDC you just have to expand a category and it will show you what will be cleaned.
    WDC 3.png

In HDCleaner, you just have to double click on an item and it will do that same.
    HDCleaner 3.png

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Used R-Wipe a long time now-nothing else-it's as safe as safe gets plus it's list to details are immense. It's long been part of a weekly routine along with a PrivaZer and Defrag run just for good measure to keep the disk optimized.

CCleaner never peak enough interest in this camp to bother with it and that was way back on XP here too.

19. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I hear you, brother. ;) :)

20. imdb

imdb Registered Member

yeah, that's the upside of it, safe & reliable. oh, right, and the details. :thumb:

21. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

$30 to take out the trash? R-wipe is too costly for my pocketbook, especially when there are so many good freebies. Why buy a cow when milk is so cheap? :D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  22. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

23. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That's true-pricey is not my cup of tea either for taking out the clutter-but that's why it's useful to catch it on free giveaway days!

25. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I hope a giveaway comes around soon. I am a devout member of the Holy Church of Never-Pay-Retail. :isay:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.