Uninstalled CCleaner due to lost trust. Alternatives?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by pegas, Sep 19, 2017.

1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I installed Ace Utilities and ran a scan with the registry cleaner, as it has been a year or so since I last tested it. The registry cleaner found a number of traces from Microsoft Office (which I uninstalled a few weeks ago), which other registry cleaners have missed. On one hand this is good that it found things that other software missed, but, on the other hand, there is really no need to delete these traces, as for the most past, cleaning the registry is never needed. As has been the case in the past, it has minor issues with false positives, just like Wise Registry Cleaner, because it does a deep scan of the registry. I highly doubt it would ever cause any serious issues, but it's something that should be noted.

While the registry cleaner in Kerish is less thorough, the developers have made sure it only finds and deletes valid registry keys.

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

After I returned from a long trip, Ace found 111 registry glicks on my weary laptop, KD found 14. After 8 years of zero problems, I now let Ace delete its list w/o even reading the list. Never NEVER a problem in all that time. Am I just lucky? Or is Ace head & shoulders above KD in this respect?

By the way, I love KD for what it does best -- fixing my computer after I do something really stupid, such as screwing up my image files on the very day when I changed my CMOS battery. When I tried to reset the bios, I somehow managed to get my computer totally bamboozled & had no image to fix it. Even after I finally managed to get Windows up & limping along, I had somehow totally lost Windows Explorer so file access was by guess & by golly. Thank goodness KD's shortcut was still on my desktop. I did KD, things got a little better. Reboot. Did KD again. Things a little better. KD 1 last time, reboot, & I was back to norm.

So I love KD for what it does best -- fixing things -- but for cleaning out the trash, I find Ace Utilities is waaay more powerful. In udder words: *never take a knife to a gun fight* and *never order roast prime rib at a Chinese restaurant.*

3. roger_m

As I said, it is highly unlikely it would cause any issues and depending on what software you have installed, it is possible it won't have any issues with false positives. If you look at this post from me, I explain why Wise registry Cleaner has issues with false positives and the same applies to Ace.
    It will find a lot more registry errors than Kerish Doctor will. But for cleaning junk files, Wise Disk Cleaner is far superior to both of them.

4. bellgamin

Your post led me to research Wise cleaners (registry & disk, 2 apps). Found favorable comments on several forums. So I tried them with my computer in Shadow Defender mode. The Wise apps are VERY impressive. Thanks for getting me interested, Roger. Shazam!

5. roger_m

6. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I prefer this conservative approach in the full scan, considering registry cleaning is generally cautioned against. And so far never had any probs with KD.

7. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

5.43 is latest NOT calling home. 5.44 is phoning for license. 5.45 analytics on avast.com.

concerning how much cleaners have found - if you log such items you will find out, that they are 99.9% the same as before - because windows uses it, or cleaner is not able to delete because windows wont let it. in special win10 is hardened to cleaners.

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Not on my machines. :)

CCleaner = blocked.
    CCleaner Emergency Updater = blocked.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  9. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Oh dude... I am speaking of regular use not being blocked...

10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Well duh! I knew that. I was just making a point that I do not allow CCleaner internet access.

11. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Doing the same here. Privacy Eraser on my system anyway runs slower than CCleaner, but at this point I do not care. Their tactics are frankly bs these days.
    It is such a shame how badly this product went downhill.

12. Lagavulin16

Lagavulin16 Registered Member

I've been with ccleaner for so long it would feel like an outright betrayal jumping ship for another. Never NEVER experienced any conflict issues, wtf situations, etc. On the other hand, Privacy Eraser via YouTube reviews and the app's website does appear to be very impressive... especially as freebies go! Has anyone else tried this on for size? No desire to hijack a "ccleaner" post(s), but a quickie thumbs up or down for PE would be interesting.

13. Special

Special Registered Member

It's free, just try it yourself, like wtf.

14. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Hey! Privacy Eraser have tick to save favorite cookies/password for forums?

15. bidd

bidd Guest

Sure does:)
    ckaTdAW.png

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

17. roger_m

I've never liked or used (other than to test it every few years or so) CCleaner anyway. So the current state of CCleaner does not affect me personally.

If you are getting fed up with CCleaner, then in my opinion, it makes sense to switch to an alternative. Other than the Intelligent Cookie Scan, I don't believe there is anything it does, which you can't do with other cleaners. Wise Disk Cleaner can safely clean a lot more junk than CCleaner does and you can schedule it to do automatic cleans. Wise Disk Cleaner lacks a registry cleaner. But, this is a good thing.

18. paulderdash

Besides Common Cleaner, have you ever experienced any problems using Advanced Cleaner or Slimming System tabs?

19. roger_m

I've never had any issues with the Advanced Cleaner and it shouldn't delete anything that is needed. I've never used Slimming System.

20. paulderdash

I've used it remove the the 'Windows downloaded installation files', but Windows>System>Storage>Free up space now option may be more what I'm after ...

21. lolnothankyou

lolnothankyou Registered Member

Privacy Eraser free is a nice software but:
    1. I can't see the exact files that are going to be removed. Wise Disk Cleaner is more transparent in what it does.
    2. Disabling IE extensions doesn't work on my PC.

A custom made file cleaning script would be the best option.

22. bellgamin

Does Wise have a cookie manager?

23. roger_m

You can add any cookies you want to keep, to its whitelist. The following example is for Chrome, but it will be the same process for other browsers.
    http://forum.wisecleaner.com/index.php?/topic/4232-to-keep-cookies-you-want/

24. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Yes, but it is not very reliable, it just ignores exceptions sometimes.

25. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Privacy Eraser Free 4.39 Build 2644
    • Improved multiple profiles cleaning for Google Chrome.
    • Improved SSD drives detection for Drive Wiper.
    • Improved Plug-in testing routine.
    • Improved Import/Export functionality for Custom Plug-ins.
    • Improved loading speed of File Shredder.
    • Updated various translations.
    • Minor GUI improvements.
    • Minor bug fixes.

• http://www.cybertronsoft.c**/download/privacy-eraser-setup.exe

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.