Uninstallation of SS BE on WSVR2k8R2x64 - hung - network unavailable

Discussion in 'ESET Endpoint Products' started by Richard Conram, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard Conram

Richard Conram Registered Member

I have been waiting around for an upgrade of BE to 5 but since it has not happened yet I decided to not renew my license, expired a few weeks ago, and proceed with the uninstallation of Eset BE 4 on my machines.

The uninstallation on my Windows 2008 R2 server hanged while "uninstalling drivers". I had to kill msiexec. When using the original software package to repair the installation it fails on overwriting several files in the programfolder x86 directory.

Browsing these forums a bit I have discovered a potential issue with Virtualbox so I will make sure that is uninstalled before proceeding any further.

My most important question at this time is whether the blocked network access is to be expected under given circumstances? It is a bit of a pain having to run to the hosts location for every change, fortunately it is not far, but still.

Another question is to find a removal tool for "all eset files and settings". I have been looking a bit, but there seems to be no obvious link or package for SS BE x64?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

In order to remove all leftovers (e.g. after an unsuccessful uninstallation), refer to this KB article.

3. Richard Conram

4. Richard Conram

Nope, efter several hours of troubleshooting and trying to restore the OS and booting in to failsafe and such. No way. All borked. Reinstalling server as we speak. Where do I send the bill?

5. Marcos

Installation / uninstallation of drivers is performed by the operating system itself. After running the Uninstall tool on Windows 7 / Windows 2008 Server, it may be necessary to reinstall network card drivers and configure network settings as mentioned in the KB article.

6. Richard Conram

No. In this case it was Esets uninstall script that wanted to remove some drivers wich makes sense since it hooks up the network connections. But I still suspect a combination of Eset and Virtualbox to somehow be the culprit.

I was unable to restore a Windows Backup, I was unable to restore a third party software backup and I was unable to do a repair on the OS. The Eset removal utility hung on every attempt.

I am not saying that Eset is a bad software, but it seems to me some further testing towards application compatibility may be needed. Which is of course a difficult task given the amount of applications any idiot may see fit to install on his pc :p

7. Marcos

As for Virtualbox, there's some bug in VBoxNetFlt.sys in v. 4.1 which causes BSOD when used in conjunction with some 3rd party drivers, including epfwndid.sys from ESS. The solution is to use Virtualbox 4.0 until they fix the bug.

The Uninstall tool does not run any scripts and the removal of files is performed by the tool itself. We'd definitely need a log generated by the Uninstall tool to comment on this further as we haven't been reported such an issue so far.

8. Richard Conram

Well, I am unable to produce a log.

You are aware of the fact that VirtualBox is one of the few means to run W8 Beta succesfully as a virtual machine? Version 4.1.x has an inherent Windows8 mode that works, contrary to VMWare, as far as I have seen. Hence the usage of VirtualBox has spiked recently.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  9. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

The Developer and Consumer previews of Microsoft Windows 8 seem to work fine under the latest version of VMware Workstation (v8.0.2, as I recall).

Just to clarify, are you running these pre-beta versions of Windows 8 on your Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 server?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

10. Richard Conram

Yes, I am/was running them in VirtualBox as stated above. But aformentioned server is dead and replaced.

11. Richard Conram

And here we go again, I am trying to do an uninstall of Eset BE in order to upgrade to Endpoint protection and the uninstallation hangs in the * and I am expecting this to screw up my server agian.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  12. Richard Conram

Fortunately I was able to do a manual uninstall and after checking the system in a few different ways it seems to work as intended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.