uninstall queries

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by johngross, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johngross

johngross Registered Member

Hi all,

I have been trying to install and run LnS 2.06 on a laptop running XP SP2.

I installed it quite smoothly on a W98SE desktop, after having used LnS Lite for a while and finding it easy to work with.

My first attempt (on XP SP2) appeared to install OK (although I did get a number of message boxes - which disappeared almopst too fast to see - that might have suggested XP did not accept something because it wasn't digitally signed). But when I rebooted and entered my (Admin) user, I got a box saying "Unable to load the lnsfw driver (Error 0)", then XP died with a blue error screen - also disappeared too fast to see - and rebooted with a message box about rebooting from a bugcheck. This happened four times, until I managed to boot in safe mode and (I'm not sure how) fixed the rebooting problem.

I then searched this forum and learned some things I might have to do:

1: allow unsigned drivers to be installed (done, I think)

2: unistall LnS carefully before trying to reinstall

I found the FAQ entitled "A driver is not removed after unistalling (Windows 2000 and XP)" and I think I've followed all the steps there. However, some things puzzle me:

1) I found no suspect drivers in Device Manager (step 1)

2) when I investigated the registry as in step 2, I found keys that seemed to match the ones needing to be removed, but they were in

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\***Control***\Class.... and
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet000n\***Control***\Class....

instead of where step 2 indicates they would be.

I deleted them OK (I think), but now I'm wondering if I did the right thing...
    or is the FAQ article in error?

As far as I can tell with registry searches (on "Look 'n" and "S4E_LNS"), the only things left are the ones that step 3.3 says "You will be unable to remove...".

Can someone reassure me that it's OK to try a reinstall?

Thanks

johngross

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

it is strange you have found "S4E_LNS" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}\xxxx and not "look 'n'" just before. Normally here there is a "DriverDesc" key which contains "Look 'n' Stop driver".
    Anyway, if you have removed this xxxx entry, normally it's Ok.

Now, about the reinstallation, I'm afraid the same error will occur if you try to reinstall. I don't see the reason why it would be different now.

Are you sure there was no other firewall still installed (not the Windows one) before you installed Look 'n' Stop ?

If there was a Blue Screen, could you send the MiniDump file at lnssupport@soft4ever.com.

If you got the message "Unable to load the lnsfw driver (Error 0)", it means the driver was not installed, and thus not running, so it is also strange you got a Blue Screen.
    Are you sure it was "Unable to load the lnsfw driver (Error 0)", and not ""Unable to load the lnsfw1 driver (Error 0)" which is also possible ?

Thanks,

Frederic

3. johngross

Hi Frederic,
    I did not find "S4E_LNS" there, but "Look 'n" as in the Step 2 description. I was simply making the point that, in my registry, there is "Control" in the keys that does not appear in the FAQ Step 2.

But you have reassured me that this part of my puzzlement is probably OK.

Not even if the real problem was in the driver signing? I have changed it since your response to my post in the "unable to connect..." thread.

I'm as sure as I can be that there is no other firewall installed. I did have Comodo installed some time ago, but the uninstall seemed to go OK. (Since then I have been running with XP SP2 Personal Firewall, but I found the logs it gives me too hard to understand and besides, I get the impression that it does not do Application monitoring. I disabled it before trying my LnS install.)
    I think I'll probably try again now; if the same symptoms occur, I'll be grateful for any help.
    It was definitely the "error 0" message I got; now that I think about it, maybe my memory of the sequence of events is playing tricks on me, but I certainly did get a series of blue screens - pity I can't tell you even the smallest detail of what was on them... only that the text covered about two-thirds of the screen.

Wish me luck with my next attempt.

Regards
    johngross

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Ok, I didn't catch your point. Yes, "\Control" is missing in the FAQ item.
    Only if the option was set on "Block", this would explain why the lnsfw.sys driver didn't install properly, but it won't explain the Blue Screen.
    Ok, but unfortunately, very often when this installation issue occurs, it is linked to a bad windows configuration and very difficult to solve. But anyway, tell us what will happen.
    My point was about "lnsfw"/"lnsfw1" and not the error number.
    Except if you manually removed them, the minidump should be still there in c:\windows\minidump. The name of the file contains the date, so you could find the minidump corresponding to the Blue Screen you where mentioning.
    Bonne chance ;)

Frederic

5. johngross

Hi, and thanks for your prompt responses.

It was on warn... which I think explains the several message boxes that came up very quickly and then disappeared.

For my second install, I set it to "Ignore", and the install went quite smoothly.

Here goes:
    As I said, the install went OK.

When I rebooted, I got a blue screen again, but this time it stayed up without rebooting automatically. (In the meantime, I also found a way to stop the automatic reboot.)

I don't think I need to quote every word of the blue screen, but what I think are the significant parts were:

...... start of blue screen ......

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_POOL_HEADER

... disable or remove any newly installed h/w or s/w. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

[I checked BIOS later and found no such memory options. I uninstalled LnS which seemed to work much better... there was hardly any "look 'n" stuff left in the registry.]

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0x822e3948, 0x822e3b00, 0x1a370006)

Beginning dump of physical memory.
    Physical memory dump complete.

..... end of blue screen ......

Sorry, but it was lnsfw... and it didn't appear after the second install.

If you still think it would be useful, I can find the dump... and transfer it to this PC to send to you (I'm not allowing the laptop on the internet without a working firewall).

6. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi johngross :)

According to msdn the error message STOP: 0x00000019 is related to a new peripheral ...

and at aumha

" A pool header issue is a problem with Windows memory allocation. Device driver issues are probably the msot common, but this can have diverse causes including bad sectors or other disk write issues, and problems with some routers. (By theory, RAM problems would be suspect for memory pool issues, but I haven’t been able to confirm this as a cause.) "

What you can do is to eliminate all possibilities of error not related ton LnS before trying a new installation.

1 ) Check your hard disk with CHKDSK
    This help to fix problem with some NTFS files and lock bad sectors of the disk.
    You may also check the S.M.A.R.T. data with a program like SpeedFan.

Start | run | chkdsk X: /R
    where X: is the letter of the DD to check
    If it's the system disk, the PC must be rebooteed

2 ) SpeedFan:
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Article about S.M.A.R.T.:
    What is S.M.A.R.T. and how can we use it to avoid data disaster?
    http://www.almico.com/sfarticle.php?id=2

3 ) Clean temporary files with cleanmgr:

Start | run | cleanmgr

You may also used programs like CCcleaner or CleanCache:

CleanCache v 3.5
    Net Framwork must be installed before.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4122.html

CCcleaner
    http://www.ccleaner.com/

Do Not erase the Prefetch !
    Be very careful with the registry "cleaner" option of CCleaner...

4 ) Defragment the Hard Disk volumes:

Start | run | dfrg.msc

Or used a better defragmenter like O&O Defrag or DiskPerfect

For multiple volume defrag use this:
    http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scri...defrag_all.htm

It's possible also to makes some targetted defragmentation for a file or folder with PowerDefragmenter + Contig

PowerDefragmenter
    www.excessive-software.eu.tt
    +
    Contig
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...es/Contig.mspx

It's also a good idea to defragment at each boot with PageDefrag:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...ageDefrag.mspx

Defragmented this:

C:\hiberfil.sys
    C:\pagefile.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\*.evt
    C:\Windows\System32\config\default
    C:\Windows\System32\config\SAM
    C:\Windows\System32\config\SECURITY
    C:\Windows\System32\config\software
    C:\Windows\System32\config\system

Finally it's a good idea to defragment the tracing files of the prefetch folder

Put this command in a shortcut. It's possible to start it when you're not using the PC with the Task Scheduler:

%windir%\system32\Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

6 ) Check the RAM with MemTest+

http://www.memtest.org/

7) Update the drivers from the PC's manufacturer web site or from the components manufacturer web site.

This can be useful (just in case):
    http://freewarewiki.pbwiki.com/DoubleDriver

And this too:

Explanation of error codes generated by Device Manager

Troubleshooting Device Conflicts with Device Manager

How to troubleshoot unknown devices

Then reinstall LnS.

Hope this help. Let us know.

:)

7. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, please. Send the minidump file for the last BSOD you got to lnssupport@soft4ever.com.

Thanks,

Frederic

8. johngross

Hi Climenole,
    Thanks for your suggestions.

This told me there were no problems.
    Could not download this.
    Cleaned temporary internet files only.
    Decided not to do this just now... nervous about all this installing.
    Deleted most issues that semmed safe (yes, was careful with the registry.
    This said I do not need to defragment the HDD.
    Could not download these.
    Unnecessary - one HDD only.
    Downloaded these and will investigate using them.
    Don't quite understand this, but will investigate.
    MemTest failed with a message about the PC being protected (sorry, forgot to write it down).
    I'm nearly certain my drivers are up-to-date, but will look into this.
    Could not work out how to d/l DoubleDriver, but will study the other links.
    I think I'll wait to see if Frederic finds anything in the minidump I sent.

Regards,
    johngross

9. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi johngross,

I've looked at the MiniDump file you sent, and it seems there is a buffer overflow issue in lnsfw.sys, when there are many network interfaces (> :cool: to be attached to Look 'n' Stop driver.
    I will send you an updated version of lnsfw.sys fixing that.

Regards,

Frederic

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  10. johngross

Thanks Frederic, it all seems to be working now.

All I have to do is set up the rules to allow what I want to come through.

Regards,
    johngross

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.