Unanswered questions about KAV and FSAV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Toni, Sep 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toni

Toni Registered Member

I have been reading Wilders Security Forum for quite some time now and I would like to ask few questions about Kaspersky Anti-Virus and F-Secure Anti-Virus.

First of all I would like to know which eats least resources from the system (the newest versions seem to be) Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal v4.0.7.0 or F-Secure Anti-Virus v5.40? I'd like to know because I might also install it on an older computer.

I guess that installing Kaspersky Anti-Virus (AVP) v3.5.133.0 (which is available @ http://www.avp.ch/) to an older computer would be the best choice? I have got the picture that it eats very little resources compared to newest versions of KAV and FSAV... Am I right?

-

I would also like to very much know is there any compatibility problems with Kaspersky Anti-Virus (AVP) v3.5.133.0 and Windows XP...?

Atleast in earlier posts by wizard and root they wrote that if you use AVP v3.5 and WinXP you shouldn't install control center. Why is that? I would like to know more specific what kind of problems control center causes?

-

Is it true that v4.0.7.0 and v3.5.133.0 detect *exactly* the same amount of viruses and trojans? (They are using same virus base?)

I know KAV updates it self daily for new virus base, but how often FSAV updates the virus bases?

---

The most confusing thing for me has been that if I have understood correctly F-Secure Antivirus includes also engine from Kaspersky which should use the same (signature) virus base files as Kaspersky Anti-Virus. So in practice it should detect all the same viruses and trojans as KAV...?

Earlier when I asked in the forum that which anti-virus program I should get for all around usage to detect viruses and trojans (I offered KAV and FSAV as the options) paul (who is also moderator if I remember correctly) answered to me that KAV surely has best all around protection (against viruses and trojans). ---> But how can KAV be better all around protection than FSAV if it detects less viruses and trojans than FSAV...?

root suggested that maybe Kaspersky is giving an older detection and unpacking engine to F-Secure.

But then Andreas Haak told that unpacking engine and newest KAV engine are always included in the FSAV signatures. Technodrome also checked this thing and he stated that "(engines,vs,code analyzer,unpackers and etc) are all the same(same size and update date) for KAV 4 and F-secure 5.xx:".

Ok... But how can it be that eg. when in November 2001 Virus Bulletin tested Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Anti-Virus (AVP) 3.5 and F-Secure Anti-Virus v5.30. KAV passed the test, but FSAV failed it?

Also in the latest this year's test AV-Test.org did on Windows platforms KAV got better detection rate than FSAV in some areas and KAV also had lots of better rate in unpacking tests...

It doesn't make sense.

-

And as the last question I would like to know your opinion which one is better anti-virus program KAV or FSAV for normal desktop usage (to detect viruses and trojans as I stated before)...?

I also posted poll regarding this: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=3776

Phew... This turned out to be a long post! :)

Best Wishes,
    Toni Paavola

2. wizard

wizard Registered Member

I have not tried F-Secure 5.40 so far but I guess KAV should be faster as KAV uses only one engine.

Yes you are. :)

Some say it works other say it don't. I would suggest to download it and try it. :)

Some user reported trouble with installed CC on different Windows system. I never had any problems with it. But for AVP 3.5 I think CC is not that usefull as in KAV 4. So living without CC saves already some system resources.
    -

Yes. They are not only using the same virus database also the same engine as the engine is updated as well with the signatures.

Daily. F-Secure offers even daily updates for the F-Prot engine while F-Prot users itself do not get that service (hint for F-Prot users: update from F-Secure servers. ;))

Yes.

F-Secure is IMHO only "theoretically" better as KAV. If you compare the test results from av-test.org you will find that F-Secure is only a little bit better in some kinds of malware as KAV. The rest is the same result as KAV.

I think this is not true. F-Secure decides when to release an update.

The on access scanner of F-Secure missed to scan certain file extensions as far I remember.

I agree. So write Andreas Marx (av-test.org) an email and ask him about it.

Between both programs: KAV Personal 4

And a long answer as well ;)

wizard

3. Toni

Toni Registered Member

Isn't running control center on KAV the only way to make signatures update everyday at specific time from the Internet?

Maybe I'll just send the URL of this post to him and he can hop in to the conversation. :)

Best Wishes,
    Toni Paavola

4. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Sure!

On Windows XP:
    KAV 3.5 (swiss edition) uses 2,400 KB
    KAV 4.0.7 uses 17,000 Kb
    F-Secure uses 12,000-13,000 Kb

If your Computer uses an old PII processor don't install F-Secure! It could slow your system.
    See Above

-
    Runs well, hard to uninstall! If you install KAV 3.5 and after while you decided to run F-Secure, you might experience the problem! F-Secure could freeze your system during installation!

Did install it, no problems!
    -
    Yes and No! KAV 4 uses 2 or 3 more engine unpackers (don’t remember which ones)

---

F-Secure uses the same engines but doesn't use the same number of virus signatures!

F-Secure is slightly better on detecting file,ms-dos,macro,Windows viruses.
    Kav is slightly better on detecting Trojans, backdoors and Script viruses!

No, F-Secure uses up-to-date engines from KAV Lb! The Virus count is edited by KAV Lab. They are sharing some virus samples but not all. F-secure has their own researches, so they are adding viruses too.

Correct!

see above!

Every av tester has a different set of viruses! You got to compare more sources to make a decision!
    -
    Both! Choice is yours... Check out features, see whats you need!

Keep it short and simple next time!

Just Kidding! :D

Technodrome

5. wizard

wizard Registered Member

No. You can use the standard task scheduler of Windows to launch the KAV updater.

wizard

6. DrSeltsam

DrSeltsam Guest

>I have not tried F-Secure 5.40 so far but I guess KAV should be faster as KAV uses only one
    >engine.

In fact F-Secure isn't slower than kav. Sometimes it's FASTER :eek:).

7. DrSeltsam

DrSeltsam Guest

>First of all I would like to know which eats least resources from the system (the newest versions
    >seem to be) Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal v4.0.7.0 or F-Secure Anti-Virus v5.40? I'd like to know
    >because I might also install it on an older computer.

F-Secure. But you should deactivate one of the engines in the guard to reduce the processor usage.

>I guess that installing Kaspersky Anti-Virus (AVP) v3.5.133.0 (which is available @
    >http://www.avp.ch/) to an older computer would be the best choice? I have got the picture that it
    >eats very little resources compared to newest versions of KAV and FSAV... Am I right?

Yes - you are right. I use KAV 3.5.133.0 on windows 2000 ... . KAV 4.x is a little bit unstable and has many bugs and its slow. F-Secure is between KAV 4.x and 3.5.x i think (my own "feeling").

>I would also like to very much know is there any compatibility problems with Kaspersky Anti-Virus
    >(AVP) v3.5.133.0 and Windows XP...?

If you doesn't use the guard no. KAV won't sell 3.5.x licenses or update licenses any longer. They try to force their users to use KAV 4.x .

>Is it true that v4.0.7.0 and v3.5.133.0 detect *exactly* the same amount of viruses and trojans?
    >(They are using same virus base?)

They uses the same virus bases and engine. The virus bases and engine are the same files.

>I know KAV updates it self daily for new virus base, but how often FSAV updates the virus bases?

I think F-Prot daily and KAV weekly i think. But you can use the KAV signatures too.

>The most confusing thing for me has been that if I have understood correctly F-Secure Antivirus
    >includes also engine from Kaspersky which should use the same (signature) virus base files as
    >Kaspersky Anti-Virus. So in practice it should detect all the same viruses and trojans as KAV...?

Exact.

>Ok... But how can it be that eg. when in November 2001 Virus Bulletin tested Kaspersky Lab
    >Kaspersky Anti-Virus (AVP) 3.5 and F-Secure Anti-Virus v5.30. KAV passed the test, but FSAV failed
    >it?

They use standard settings. So if you miss for example a file extension in the list of files that should be scanned you will fail the test.

>Also in the latest this year's test AV-Test.org did on Windows platforms KAV got better detection
    >rate than FSAV in some areas and KAV also had lots of better rate in unpacking tests...

File extensions ;o).

>And as the last question I would like to know your opinion which one is better anti-virus program
    >KAV or FSAV for normal desktop usage (to detect viruses and trojans as I stated before)...?

KAV 3.5x (all windows versions below xp) or FSAV (if you want to use windows xp). FSAV is less buggy than KAV. But its more expensive.

8. Toni

Toni Registered Member

I think you can use KAV v4 license also to run v3.5 as full version.

You mean F-Prot is updated weekly and KAV daily, right?

Best Wishes,
    Toni

9. Toni

Toni Registered Member

Can you explain how to do this? I have file called avpupd.exe in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AVP Shared" directory, but when I execute it I need to press next and done buttons so it really doesn't automatically update the bases.

How about executing the scanner automatically? How is it done?

- Toni

10. DrSeltsam

DrSeltsam Guest

>I think you can use KAV v4 license also to run v3.5 as full version.

Doesn't try it.

>You mean F-Prot is updated weekly and KAV daily, right?

Nope. The question was how often the engines in FSAV are updated. The F-Prot engine inside FSAV is updated daily and the KAV engine weekly.

11. wizard

wizard Registered Member

I tried it yet myself and it did not worked either. I am sorry for this wrong information. Kaspersky changed with version 4 to the updater to start always with the wizard interface. I had not realized this so far.

wizard

12. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

As far as I know the Kav 'keys' are backward compatible, meaning they should work on previous versions than the one it was purchased for.
    I could be wrong but I have read this in Alt.comp.anti-virus before.

Obviously a key bought for a lite version wont fully work with a pro version but you get my drift. ;)

13. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Hi Tinribs

You are right. You can switch with the KAV key back to older versions. :)

wizard

14. Toni

Toni Registered Member

I'm sorry I meant that are FSAV's virus bases also updated daily, like KAV's...?

- Toni

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.