Unable to restore thinkpad laptop with TIH2009

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tih2009user, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tih2009user

tih2009user Registered Member

Scenario: Latest build of Acronis True Image 2009 home. Lenovo t61p laptop. Recent full backups to a large WD USB drive.

Disk failure. No problem, I have a relatively fresh backup. I buy a new drive. I install the new drive. I boot the TIH 2009 rescue disk. I try restoring from latest .tib . TIH sees the USB drive as "D:" and insists upon relocating "C:" to "E:" upon restore. No joy. Is this working as designed? Is there a procedure to avoid the relocation?

I thought I might get around the drive letter issue with a network share. I tried to plug the USB drive into several other XP computers and "share" the drive or the directory containing the .tib files. Sometimes TIH was able to see the computers but was never able to list the shared drive or directory. Frequently it asked for passwords but could never successfully authenticate. Several times TIH spontaneously rebooted. I also used the \\192.168.1.102\tib_files means of specification to avoid the listing problem and that did not work either.

Is there a procedure that will work?

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

After you completed the restore to the new drive from your external USB drive, what happened?

Did the system reboot to a blank screen, report no operating system, or just hang?

My guess is that you canceled the restore when you saw the C: -> E: message before pressing the Proceed button. I can't blame you since I just saw that message this afternoon as I was restoring an image to a brand new drive. My USB drive was C:, the DVD drive was D:, so the new unformatted, internal drive became E: just for the restore operation. After the restore, the system booted into Windows normally with Windows on C: as expected.

It's not a problem, but the nomenclature certainly is disturbing. It has to do with the Linux recovery environment's way of enumerating drives. Once you reboot, the Linux E: is Windows C:.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

For your brand of laptop, your best chance of a cloning success is to perform what we refer to as a "reverse clone". That is, put the blank non-formated target in its intended boot position. Move the original someplace else but accessible.

Boot from the TI Rescue CD and perform the clone when booted from the Rescue CD. After cloning, power down and disconnect original before first bootup following the clone.

4. jmk94903

Hi Grover,
    His old disk died, so he can't clone. He's restoring a backup on his USB drive to the new disk in the Lenovo, so that should work. Right?

5. tih2009user

tih2009user Registered Member

You're right, the alarming C:->E: relocation message caused me to abort the restore and seek another way. When I failed at alternatives, I returned to the approach using the direct-attached USB drive containing the .tib files. That restore did succeed after two tries. TIH didn't let me resize partitions, which is a disappointment. But it is a relief that I can restore to a new drive, to a bootable condition.

The first try, TIH rebooted when I selected the USB drive before TIH had "analyzed" it. There are other steps when TIH is not responsive for extended periods.

It is also disappointing that the accessing network-shared-directories for restore images did not work. Among other things, this gives the opportunity to share the directory read-only so there would be less chance the backup drives would be inadvertently overwritten in the restore process. If there's a trick to accessing backup images on networked disks for restoring, please advise.

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Duh! The disk was not working. No clone possible. I must have written without engaging brain first.

The resize should have been available unless you checked the disk restore option which removes the resize option.

7. jmk94903

8. jmk94903

I am shocked! Having read many, many of your posts, I think this is the first time you've ever missed anything. The sky is falling! The sky is falling.

On the other hand, I feel much closer to you knowing that you are also human. Not as human as I am since I make more mistakes; but at least, of the same species.:)

Now, I think I'll go have another glass of wine.

9. dhefner

dhefner Registered Member

Ok, i came here looking for answers but i am looking for rather plain-english, simple answers, if they exist - - only b/c i know enough to be dangerous but i do not live and breathe this kind of work any longer.

I have 2 x60's. I backed one up with v11 on my external Seagate and want to restore it to the other x60. I do not mind wiping out everything that exists on the 2nd x60. In any case, so response; nothing is recognized. It goes through the restore process and even reboots but really does not restore anything from the Seagate.

I can restore a T41 to another T41; no problem. I suspect there is added security on the x60 that does not allow cloning. Can anyone help?

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dhefner,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

I can suggest you to create Acronis Booting Rescue Media and perform the operation under it.

You can find out on how to create Acronis Booting Rescue Media on our web site at User Guide for Acronis True Image 11 Home available here (chapter 11)

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.