Unable to restore Image and boot successfully!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by newhopeinc, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newhopeinc

newhopeinc Registered Member

I have posted on this forum a couple other times with similar issues. Basically, I purchased TI8 to use at work as I'm the IT Manager for a non-profit agency. I was tired of spending 5 to 6 hours rebuilding every new PC from Dell with our volume licensing, etc. So, I spent about a week inquirying with other IT Professional's on Discussion forums about which Imaging product is most recommended for my purposes. Acronis TI was the winner in this endeavor.

However, after a total of 5 attempts (meaning ... 5 different images being restored multiple times, etc.) I still am not able to make an image of a good install of WinXP Pro, Office, NAV, etc. and restore that image to the hard drive of a computer. The last attempt, attempt #5, I did not setup the domain, etc. I simply installed all applications and downloaded all (except SP2) windows critical updates, imaged the drive, and then restored the image to another hard drive. I still am not successful.

Here is the latest info:

1. Upon booting up the restored image, the following message appears:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file.

2. I used Google to find similar problems/solutions. I attempted a few of those solutions (i.e. bootup to recovery mode and rebuild the boot.ini file, etc.) but nothing worked.

Please let me know what other information I can provide to help you provide me with some insight to be able to use TI8 Images to build new computers/hard drives.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

2. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

I may be teaching grandmother to suck eggs but have you looked at the boot.ini file? It should look something like this

[boot loader]
    ;timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

The symptoms you describe suggest to me there is something wrong with the file.
    HTH
    John

3. newhopeinc

newhopeinc Registered Member

John,

I've rebuilt boot.ini a few times using bootcfg /rebuild. But, here is the contents of boot.ini (based on the result of bootcfg /list):

1 ""
    OS Load Options:
    OS Location: C:\Windows

2 "Microsoft Windows XP Professional"
    OS Load Options: /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    OS Location: C:\Windows

Thoughts?

4. dlugi

dlugi Registered Member

Hi,
    Before creating image you start sysprep on your WinXP o_O

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.