Unable to restore Image and boot successfully!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by newhopeinc, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newhopeinc

newhopeinc Registered Member

I have posted on this forum a couple other times with similar issues. Basically, I purchased TI8 to use at work as I'm the IT Manager for a non-profit agency. I was tired of spending 5 to 6 hours rebuilding every new PC from Dell with our volume licensing, etc. So, I spent about a week inquirying with other IT Professional's on Discussion forums about which Imaging product is most recommended for my purposes. Acronis TI was the winner in this endeavor.

However, after a total of 5 attempts (meaning ... 5 different images being restored multiple times, etc.) I still am not able to make an image of a good install of WinXP Pro, Office, NAV, etc. and restore that image to the hard drive of a computer. The last attempt, attempt #5, I did not setup the domain, etc. I simply installed all applications and downloaded all (except SP2) windows critical updates, imaged the drive, and then restored the image to another hard drive. I still am not successful.

Here is the latest info:

1. Upon booting up the restored image, the following message appears:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file.

2. I used Google to find similar problems/solutions. I attempted a few of those solutions (i.e. bootup to recovery mode and rebuild the boot.ini file, etc.) but nothing worked.

Please let me know what other information I can provide to help you provide me with some insight to be able to use TI8 Images to build new computers/hard drives.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

2. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

I may be teaching grandmother to suck eggs but have you looked at the boot.ini file? It should look something like this

[boot loader]
    ;timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

The symptoms you describe suggest to me there is something wrong with the file.
    HTH
    John

3. newhopeinc

newhopeinc Registered Member

John,

I've rebuilt boot.ini a few times using bootcfg /rebuild. But, here is the contents of boot.ini (based on the result of bootcfg /list):

1 ""
    OS Load Options:
    OS Location: C:\Windows

2 "Microsoft Windows XP Professional"
    OS Load Options: /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    OS Location: C:\Windows

Thoughts?

4. dlugi

dlugi Registered Member

Hi,
    Before creating image you start sysprep on your WinXP o_O

5. Acronis Support