Unable to restore backup image

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by brian12, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brian12

brian12 Registered Member

I'm trying to restore a drive image using Paragon Drive Backup 2010. Since my computer (a netbook) has no CD/DVD drive, I'm using a recovery flash drive to boot. After loading Boot Manager in Safe Mode (Normal Mode doesn't work) and selecting either Drive Backup, or Simple Restore Wizard, the screen hangs at the "Disk Scanning" screen. I've waited for an hour and a half, tried two different external drives that contain images, with no luck. I've also created new recovery flash drives using Backup and Recovery 2010, and Drive Backup 9.0, with the same results.

Does anyone know how I can fix this issue so I can restore a drive image?

Thanks.

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

it looks like DOS environment fails to recognize one of your hard disks or other devices.

Do you have paid version of Drive Backup 2010?

If yes, please try to use WinPE-based Recovery CD. You can download self-burning image in *.exe file from My Account. Run the *.exe file and follow the wizard to create ISO file. Then use Recovery Media Builder wizard from Drive Backup to create Recovery flash.

Check if it works correctly.

3. brian12

Unfortunately, I have a special edition of Drive Backup 10 from a giveaway. Are you saying, then that the only way to access my drive images is to purchase a full version?

Thanks for your reply.

4. gambla

gambla Registered Member

You may have a look into your BIOS and check the IDE/SATA settings for a compatible mode. Just try different settings. Did you already have a look at Paragon's forums ?

5. kcaegis45

kcaegis45 Registered Member

6. brian12

Thanks for your suggestion, but I'm not willing to risk messing around with the BIOS settings on a "mission-critical" computer. In any case, since the drives in question are external USB hard drives, I'm not sure what changing the BIOS settings would do.

Yes, I did check the Paragon forums, but could not find an answer to my problem.

7. brian12

The computer boots, but was having a problem unrelated to Paragon (locked up after logging out as user and then logging back in in XP). Rather than spend an inordinate amount researching the problem, I thought it simpler just to restore a drive image. Since I was (am) unable to do that, I did the research and fixed the problem.

Thanks for your suggestion, though.

8. kcaegis45

kcaegis45 Registered Member

glad you were able to fix the problem.
    May you tell us what you did to fix it so others with possible same issues would know what to do.

Also, were you able to use the Paragon boot to get into normal mode? You mentioned you had to boot into safe mode before you fixed your problem. Just wondering so in the future if you have to restore image you can.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  9. brian12

I guess I wasn't clear in my reply. The problem I managed to fix wasn't restoring a drive image, but rather the problem that caused me to try to restore a drive image. As I noted, that problem (logging off XP then logging in caused the computer to freeze) I managed to solve that problem by a process of elimination. If I understand your reply, however, you thought I had solved the problem mentioned in my original post above. That problem remains unsolved, and I'm still unable to access or restore any Paragon drive images.

10. Mech_An

What error appears when you try to run in Normal mode from Recovery CD?

11. brian12

"You passed an undefined mode number. Press RETURN to see video modes available. SPACE to continue or wait 30 secs."

After that it just keeps repeating the following message over and over:

"The program cannot start due to incorrect BIOS settings or a lack of video memory on your computer. Please inform our support team and we can help you. If you are an experienced PC user, you can try by yourself to increase, for example, the <Frame Buffer Size> setting in the <Video configuration> part of your BIOS. It. may help."

Unfortunately, the BIOS on this computer has no video configuration settings, presumably because it is a netbook with only limited video capabilities.

12. Mech_An

Did you try to press Return to see what video modes are supported?

Additionally try to change Virtual Memory settings:
    * go to Start - Control Panel - System
    * go to 'Advanced' tab
    * click 'Settings' under Performance section
    * go to 'Advanced' tab
    * click 'Change' button under Virtual Memory section
    * tick 'System managed size' checkbox
    * click 'Set' button
    * click 'Apply' and 'OK'

13. brian12

14. brian12

Additionally try to change Virtual Memory settings:
    * go to Start - Control Panel - System
    * go to 'Advanced' tab
    * click 'Settings' under Performance section
    * go to 'Advanced' tab
    * click 'Change' button under Virtual Memory section
    * tick 'System managed size' checkbox
    * click 'Set' button
    * click 'Apply' and 'OK'

After making this change I still get the same error message.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.