Unable to install TI Echo Workstation

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by StephanK, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephanK

StephanK Registered Member

Unable to install *GERMAN* TI Echo Workstation

(Edit: since this problem seems to only affect german copies of TI Echo, i changed the subject accordingly)

I got a Laptop running Vista 32bit Home Premium. I also purchased TI Echo Workstation. I'm trying to install TI on this Laptop, but i am stuck. I submitted a support request to Acronis couple of days ago, but so far, they didnt consider it necessary to answer at all.

Heres what i tried so far:

Step 1 was to install the Management Console. Worked fine.

Step 2 was to try and install the License Server onto the Laptop using the 2nd menu item from the installer. No go -> wrong OS is the error i get.

Step 3 trying to install License Server thru the Management console installed in Step 1 chosing my laptop as "remote" computer. No go -> cannot connect to the "remote" computer.

Step 4: downloaded the latest build and tried again. Steps 2/3 fail.

Step 5: Disabled Vistas Firewall, Defender, and NOD32 AntiVirus.. Steps 2/3 still fail.

Step 6. Trying to install the Standalone Echo Workstation (last menu option), which doesnt work, because there is no license server running.

I only have this one laptop, nothing else.. how do I get TI Echo Workstation to run on it? Is it even possible?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

What happens if on installing ImageAgent, you just enter the serial number?

Colin

3. StephanK

It never even asks me for my serial number. It tries to connect to the license server and since there is none, the install is aborted. Tried both, latest download & original disc, same diff.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Did you have the previous version of Workstation installed?

Have you uninstalled licence server - as this is a separate piece of software, with this uninstalled, your Workstation install might then work.

I've never used licence server - just Echo Enterprise and Workstation 9.0 with standard licensing.

Colin

5. Forellenblau

Forellenblau Registered Member

StephanK's name sounds like german ;-)

The german versions of TI WS 9.1 had always this nasty License-server-thing. Even when you purchased as a German an english version you got only a version with License server.

It could be that this is also the case with the new echo WS.

@StephanK:
    Ich kaufe immer die englischen Versionen - wegen der schnelleren Updates. Die neue englische Echo-WS hat jetzt diesen Lizenz-Server-Mist nicht mehr an Bord.
    Vielleicht kannst Du die deutsche in eine englische umtauschen - der Support hier im Forum ist sehr kulant.
    Mfg Forellenblau

6. StephanK

@bodgy: it's a brandnew laptop, despite the preinstalled windows and NOD32 Antivirus, nothing has been installed to it yet, no previous version of TI either.

True.. Plus I bought my copy of Echo workstation in Germany (Ingram Micro to be precise)

Thats exactly what it looks like. And since License server doesnt run on Home Premium, I am screwed. Or in other words: The German version of this software is unuseable with Home Premium - despite what it says on the box or on the web about minimum requirements to run it.

Wie fange ich das am besten an? Bzw. wie kann ich den Kontakt mit dem englischen Support hestellen, um zu versuchen das zu tauschen?

Translation:
    How can I get in contact with english support to try and swap it for a working english version?

PS: Great, the one time I am going thru the proper channels to buy the version we Germans are supposed to buy instead of using my fake US mail forwarding address to order from the States, I get screwed. Teaches me to never buy localised software ever again.

Thanks alot for your help Bodgy & Forellenblau!

7. StephanK

I have contacted support through the "my account" page and requested to exchange my german key for key & download link to the english version.

We shall see what happens.. Not holding my breath though.

PS: i finally did get an answer from Acronis Germany, which is:

"We are sorry, this wont run on Vista Home Premium, please install on a different computer".

Not satisfactory imho.

8. StephanK

A quick status update:

No repsonse from Acronis as of today. Both, my answer in response to the email quoted above from 'corporate-support@acronis.de' as well as the help request submitted through "My Account" have been ignored so far.

I am starting to get a tad irritated.

- I still cannot use the Software.
    - Acronis Support can't be bothered to answer my support requests within a week.
    - the place i purchased TI Echo Workstation does not accept returns of opened software.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

StephanK, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience. I will contact our German Support Team and ask them to handle this request as soon as possible and about the reasons of this delay.

Thank you
    --
    Michael Levchenko

10. StephanK

Michael,

thanks for prodding the german support, I did get an answer today..

Unfortunately, not the one I was hoping for. I was basically told that i should get a copy of Vista Ultimate. Acronis Germany is to unable to exchange the product for a working english version.

So, I still don't have a working version, I am not going to spend another 179,- bucks to upgrade my Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate simply to run True Image on my computer.

Suffice to say that unless some miracle happens and somebody gives me a working copy of the product I purchased, this was the last Acronis product I bought.

Acronis Germany might want to consider to update their product description / system requirements sooner than later, cause I guess if one had the patience to argue the point, this could be considered fraud.

11. Vorontsov

Vorontsov Registered Member

I have the same problem within 2 weeks, but my OS is Windows XP whith all last updates: "trying to install License Server thru the Management console". Result: cannot connect to the "remote" computer.
    All my contacts to a local support service anything have not helped me.
    But i can't understand, is why your system gives failure not only on new operational systems, but also on more or less debugged (Win XP).

12. StephanK

I give up. Wasted 150 Bucks. I was ripped off, paid good cash for a piece of software that simply refuses to be installed on Windows Vista Home Premium.

This was not only the last piece of Acronis software i bought personally, i have also pulled rank at the office ordering our staff to retire all Acronis products from our own servers and those of our clients. We only had 4 Win SBS 2003 Servers, 2 Linux Servers and a few dozends of Workstation licenses, so it wont matter much to Acronis, but it was satisfying nontheless.

I sure will spread the word about it, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.