Unable to find printer when installing it

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by myte128, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myte128

myte128 Registered Member

Hi there, I have read on the eset site that there are issues with the HP officejet 8500 and NOD32. I am having issues...

I have windows xp on the home computer with an officejet 8500 plugged into the router. I can print to the printer from the ipod which uses the network (not airplay) and I can go to 192.168.1.100 on a browser and play with the setting on the printer and see it’s details etc from the computer… I just can’t seem to get the computer to find the printer when installing the printer software. And if I try usb it doesn’t recognise it has been plugged in.

On the HP software it says to set the NOD32 firewall to interactive mode which I tried with no success.
    I then tried the protocol filtering as per this http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2869 but got to the bottom picture and got stuck. It says Typically, only web browsers and email clients (iexplorer.exe, firefox.exe, outlook.exe, etc.) need to be selected. I had nothing selected, should I have?

I am not very knowledgeable about this sort of thing so if you need more info please ask and I will try sort it.

Cheers Scott.

2. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

Is your firewall protection mode set to Allow Sharing? Check out the ESET KB Article below:

How do I resolve network connectivity issues with ESET Smart Security? (5.x)

You've done the first part, setting your filtering mode to Interactive. The next step would be to verify that you do have 'Allow Sharing' selected. If the connection still fails, you can attempt the follow the next steps in the article.

Also, since you mentioned the model was an 8500 series HP Printer, if the above fails, you may want to check out the following KB Articles as well:

ESET Smart Security firewall issues with the HP Officejet Pro 8500A and Officejet 6500 series printers

How do I add a trusted IP address to allow connection to a network device such as a computer or printer? (5.x)

3. myte128

Thanks for that, I found two out of the 3 links you have posted before but I got stuck on the personal firewall. I have NOD32 and it doesn't have Network in the settings and so I can't find Personal Firewall. It has HIPS which is where I found the interactive setting. I'll have another look tonight (it's 9am here in NZ ;) ).

4. dwomack

There were some issues with ESET Smart Security's personal firewall settings and HP Printers in the past but these issues have been addressed. NOD32 Antivirus does not come with a personal firewall, so the network issue you're having with your printer is most likely not being caused by NOD32.

Have you tried temporarily disabling your antivirus & antispyware protection while installing the printer software? Just remember you need to re-enable the protection after the printer software is installed.

5. myte128

Yeah I disabled NOD32 for 30 minutes and tried a couple of times to no avail. I'll try installing the printer without the HP software and see that goes... I'll let you know how I get on.

6. myte128

Hi there, I have managed to install the basic driver via the add printer function. I can't scan or any of those flash features... After more googling, I have found lots of people have had the same problem.

A gent has found that his firewall was dropping IP fragments and he was able to change the setting, disable the firewall and install the software. Once installed he was able to enable his firewall and everything worked as it should.

AFAIK I only have windows firewall and I have no idea how to adjust that... Does NOD32 affect this IP fragment thing? What would be a good next step do you think?

7. dwomack

I believe the solution you mentioned should work in your case. Simply turn off the Windows Firewall, install the printer software, get it connected and then turn Windows Firewall back on. The issue may also be in your wireless router which also has firewall options. ESET NOD32 Antivirus wouldn't cause the IP Fragment drop issue you mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.