Unable to create image over network

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RZetlin, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Brian,

I have read your correspondence with Dennis and would like to thank you for all the information you sent. He has already answered to you and asked for schedul2.log file once again because previous file didn't contain the information about the error. It seems that the problem wasn't reproduced when the file was created. After we get the .log file we will be able to investigate the problem more thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

2. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Still no joy with build 889. Still cannot create a network image.

3. Acronis Support

Hello msanto,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

When the problem is complicated it is much easier and faster to solve it via e-mail because this way gives you much more opportunities to get diagnostic info that our Development Team needs to help you with the solution.

Could you please create the screenshots of your actions when you try to create the image over network and the screenshot of the error message and send all the information to support@acronis.com along with the detailed description of your problem. This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Last edited: Jul 4, 2005
  4. mathmajors

mathmajors Registered Member

When I set up my share in XP, using the same scenario, I allowed the local 'Everyone' group full access, and got the same error message. It didn't work until I gave 'Everyone' full NTFS rights on the same folder. Apparently using a admin ID isn't enough.

5. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I have "everyone" with admin rights and still get the failure. As I said this used to work prior to build 826.

6. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Here is the reply I received ...

Dear Michael,

Thank you for the new screen shot. You would still probably need to check that user name or password or contact others who have rights to that folder so you could have full NTFS rights on it just like everyone else.

In any case, this is not a bug of Acronis True Image.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Thank you again for contacting Acronis.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Stolbunov

Give me a BREAK! EVERYONE has full access to that share. And I TOLD HIM THAT! Did he not read the entire email? As I CONTINUE to SAY, this USED TO WORK PRIOR to 826! Can NO ONE UNDERSTAND? I AM A PROGRAMMER, THIS IS NOT HARD TO DEBUG! LOOK AT 826 to see what changed!

Addendum: You probably use ClearCase, Perforce or AT LEAST CVS so you should be able to see what code changed between builds easily.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  7. msanto

msanto Registered Member

This makes no sense for my problem. I am doing MANUAL images. No scheduling. No place to enter usernaem / pw.

And it does not matter what I set. As I said, EVERYONE has rights, but even if I add rights for individual users it does NOT WORK!

How many times to I have to say ... this used to work PRIOR TO 826. Check your code!

Addendum: You probably use ClearCase, Perforce or AT LEAST CVS so you should be able to see what code changed between builds easily.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  8. Acronis Support

Hello msanto,

There may be a problem with older build that allowed some network vulnerability and that is why it worked. Are you able to copy the image file over the network without using Acronis True Image (using Windows Explorer)? Please let me know your Acronis request # and I will try to find what the problem is in your case.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Network vulnerability? Eh?

I have FULL rights to the share. Excuse me for being angry, but I've said it before: I can do ANYTHING I WANT ON THE SHARE, copy files, create files, delete files ... that's what FULL RIGHTS MEANS!

In fact, since I said the share is set to EVERYONE having rights, everyone can do anything to the share they want.

And yes, I copy to / from the share ALL THE TIME.

In fact, last time I created the image on a small (20 GB) portable drive and then copied it to the share, since I couldn't create it on the share directly.

Case #299434

10. Acronis Support

Hello msanto,

I do understand what you feel. I will have a look at your correspondence with Andrew and contact you via e-mail. After we fix the problem you may share the solution with others via this Forum.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

11. mathmajors

But do you have 'Everyone' set on the file system, and not just on the share? That's where my hang-up was. You're right, though, it's still something in the code that doesn't acknowledge permissions when everything else does.

12. msanto

msanto Registered Member

OK, I'm not sure I understand ... what setting is this?

13. mathmajors

There's share permissions and there's file permissions. I couldn't get it to work until I added 'Everyone' to the file permissions. It's not good that I had to do that, but maybe someone can find a fix based on that info.

14. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Are you talking about specifically sharing the folder? I tried that and it doesn't seem to work either.

15. Acronis Support

Hello msanto,

Do you use Simple File Sharing on the computer where you wish to store the image? What are the settings for the shared folder?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

16. mathmajors

When you look at the properties of a folder, you should have two tabs named 'Sharing' and 'Security'. I had to set 'Everyone' with full rights on both. In Windows, effective rights are the most restrictive rights in the combination of sharing permissions and NTFS permissions. Still, something in the Acronis code doesn't acknowledge those permissions, or else you'd be able to use an administrative ID, or an ID with permissions, like you'd expect.

17. Acronis Support

Hello mathmajors,

Actually the allowance to write for the account you used to create the image should be enough to be able to get the image created at the shared folder. Did you try that option?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

18. mathmajors

All I know is what worked. Like many have said in this thread, all the rights were there to write to the shared folder. I was using an administrative ID, and no administrators were denied write on the share or NTFS.

19. andyl

andyl Guest

In XP, everyone DOES NOT mean everyone any more. It EXCLUDES anonymous users, which is different to Win2K behaviour.
    Try this:
    Start/Run mmc.
    When MMC is open, File/Open c:\windows\system32\secpol.msc.

Click on Local Policies\Security Options in the left pane, and locate “Network Access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users”. Double click on this and Enable it.
    Close MMC.

This might help....

20. mathmajors

I think the point here is that we shouldn't have to change share or NTFS permissions in order to create an image on a network share when we are using an ID that has permissions already. I'd leave that security policy alone unless I was in a controlled environment. But it could mean something to the Acronis developers wrt code changes.

21. Acronis Support

Hello mathmajors,

Could you please clarify me the following? Now you can create image over network, am I correct?

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

22. mathmajors

Yes, I didn't mean for you to have to keep up with anything. Sorry about that.

23. Acronis Support

Hello mathmajors,

Glad to hear there is no problem now. If you have any questions concerning our software, please feel free to ask us.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

24. V-man

V-man Guest

I had the same problem as everyone else...the inability to write to a network drive. In my case, my Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive (Linksys NSLU2 with a 250 GB USB2 HDD attached) is being mapped as drive Z: . Like you all, I had full Read/write access in windows and really didn't think the problem was related to the sharing as Norton Ghost 9 worked fine over the network. In the case of Ghost 9, when I entered the mapped drive (Z:) as my storage location, I was immediately asked for the domain, username and password. I entered the workgroup for my home network and the username/password for the NAS, and no problem.

So I went back to my Acronis demo and wondered if the drive mapping might not be read properly properly by Acronis since I was getting a username/password/permissions error. Rather than using the drive letter (Z:), I used the server path, i.e. \\Server_Name\Shared_Volume\Destination_Folder\File_Name

This worked for me and the image was created as expected.

Hope this helps some of you. Please post your results for the rest of the community.

Cheers,

25. Haui

Haui Guest

The user name and password must only have 8 characters! that's the sollution!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.