Unable to create image over network

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RZetlin, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RZetlin

RZetlin Guest

I want to create an image of my notebook. (Windows XP)

There isn't enough space on the notebook so I have to create the image over a network and store the image on second computer.

The second computer uses Windows XP as well.

On the second computer I create a folder called "backup" and gave the folder full share rights (execute, read, write)

On the notebook I login into the second computer and copy a few files onto the backup folder to test to see if the folder can be written to. The copying works.

When I create an image specifying the backup folder I get this error message:

Error 1: User name or password for the remote resource \\comp1\backup is incorrect or selected device is inaccessible. Plese re-type your user name and passwor and check up whether the selected drive is connected.

I know that the backup folder can be accessed but I can access it though the network place in Windows XP.

Does the Acronis True Image need some sort of special port open for network imaging?

2. RZetlin

RZetlin Guest

I forgot to mention I'm using Acronis True Image 8.0.

3. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Ehh?
    No, only the ports that Windows shares normally uses. Something like TCP/UDP port 135-137 if I remember correctly.

4. RZetlin

RZetlin Guest

If I double click on the My Network Place Icon, I can read/write/execute files in the backup folder on the second computer.

Acronis True Image 8.0 seem to have issues with Windows XP networking.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello RZetlin,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please update your copy of Acronis True Image 8.0 to the 859 build. In order to get access to updates you should register account on our site (or just log in if you have already created it) and then register your copy of the product. Then please try to create image on the network.

Please also read the article "I started Acronis True Image 8.0 from the bootable rescue disks to restore an image from an archive located on a network drive, but when I try to login to a network computer, it asks me for the user name and password again and again. What should I do?".

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

6. David2005

David2005 Guest

Hi,

I have the same problem with my windows 2000 PRO and Winnt4 sp6.

Till now, I haven't seen a solutions I can use.
    What more options are available to solve this?

I use a nas (SMB+ NFS) with all rights and without users etc.
    My TI version is 8.0 build 763.

Regards,

David.

7. Acronis Support

Hello David,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please download the latest (859) build, which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/my/products/registration/. Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

If the problem persists please make sure you have enough rights to store the image to the local share with the account you log in.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I think if you read the thread above it's clear they have enough rights, since the original poster seems to have the ability to create files / folders on the network drive.

I have noticed this as well. Please note, I am a Windows programmer, so I have tried everything, including mapping the shared drive and referencing it by a drive letter. This USED TO WORK. It seems this was broken in 8.0.826. Prior to that, I was able to store images across the network.

Please don't tell me:

a) to update to 859 (done)
    b) to check my rights (I'm a programmer, that's all done. Rights are set so EVERYONE on the network has rights to this share --- it's a home LAN) ... and I can write to it fine w/ Windows Explorer

In fact, since this used to work, can you just check the code. It's obvious there's a bug here.

9. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Perhaps you might like to save this code as fixnet.reg and merge it into the registry on the destination computer. Then reboot and test. Please let us know the results.

(Note that this fix is intended for XP SP2 only)

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters]
    "NullSessionPipes& quot;=hex(7):43,00,4f,00,4d,00,4e,00,41,00,50,00,0
    0,00,43,00,4f,\
    00,4d,00,4e,00,4f,00,44,00,45,00,00,00,53,00,51,00
    ,4c,00,5c,00,51,00,55,00,\
    45,00,52,00,59,00,00,00,53,00,50,00,4f,00,4f,00,4c
    ,00,53,00,53,00,00,00,4c,\
    00,4c,00,53,00,52,00,50,00,43,00,00,00,62,00,72,00
    ,6f,00,77,00,73,00,65,00,\

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
    "RestrictAnonymous"=dword:00000000
    This post carries no warranty either implied or explicit.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  10. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

Maybe this will help anyone in this thread without as much networking experience as msanto and others ?? My apologies in advance to those for whom this advice/tutorial link may seem too simplistically pedantic ;)

In this post (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=471251&postcount=4), dld provides a network tutorial link at:
    http://www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

Although this article didn't help my network issue (not related to the network issue in this thread), and I do not agree with some of the recommended settings [for example, 1) NetBIOS "default" in TCP/IP WINS properties tab works fine for me, I do not need to check the "enable" box, 2) I have another firewall, so I leave Windows Firewall OFF, 3) I don't have wireless so IEEE 802.1x authentication does not apply to me].

Don't know if this would help, but there is a page at that tutorial site that deals with passwords:
    http://www.careyholzman.com/xp/home/xphome-14.htm

I don't use password logon on my home network machines, and consequently do not see Error 1 that RZetlin sees. I get to experience other network issues :p

11. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I MIGHT do this if I knew you worked for Acronis, but since this does not seem to come from the moderator, I'm wary of making a registry change.

I did check the entries and the NullSessionPipes entry is actually text so I'm not sure why you entered it as hex.

COMNAP
    COMNODE
    SQL\QUERY
    SPOOLSS
    LLSRPC
    browser

The other entry (RestrictAnonymous) was already there and the same value.

Even then I wouldn't do this without backing up the registry, etc. etc., which seems like a lot of work to me.

12. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Always a good policy, good luck then!

13. msanto

msanto Registered Member

OK, after running through some MS docs, it seems like I needed to add the share to both NullSessionPipes and NullSessionShares. So, if the share was named ShareX add that to the two entries.

Since I could see those were the only changes necessary, I made the change knowing I could back out quickly if necessary.

No change. Still does not work. I backed out the change.

As I said previously, this USED TO WORK with versions prior to 826 ... at least for me WITHOUT any registry changes. If I could get access to older versions I could do some testing ... well, probably not. I don't think it's up to me to do the testing for free.

14. collisba

collisba Registered Member

I have the same problem with a NT4 server. It used to work under TI Enterprise 945, but then stopped when I went to 1124. No luck under 1143, or the latest, 1158. Now it won't work under 945 anymore. I'm going to a mapped drive that I can read/write to outside of TI.

In my case, however, it will work if you DON'T schedule the job. If I run it manually, it will work fine. As soon as I attempt to schedule it, I get the remote resource password incorrect.

Try running manually and see if it will run. I'll be calling Support on Monday.

Brian

15. Acronis Support

Hello Brian,

Did the account you used to schedule the image creation have enough rights to write to the shared folder?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

16. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I was doing it manually. Nope.

17. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Isn't it amazing how they keep asking this same question? "Do you have rights?" He said it works when he does it manually! That means, YES, he does have enough rights!

Come on, this is ridiculous. It used to work, you guys introduced a bug. Find it! As I said, I'm a Windows programmer. I've even given you a clue as to what version it went into.

I'm sorry, I've had bugs like this before and fixed them in < 1 day. It's not that hard! If it wasn't for the fact that Norton bought Drive Image (and I hate Norton Ghost) I wouldn't be around.

18. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Just a thought, does the share name on the destination computer have a space or other punctuation in the name? TI doesn't like spaces in share names.

19. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Yeah, it does. But then what I did was mapped the drive so I accessed it by the drive letter ... z:

Still failed.

Also, as I said, this used to work for me, prior to 826.

20. collisba

The directory that I'm going to is mapped and named image, and the share name is the server name, with no spaces, 9 characters. I have the folder shared to the user that is logged into the server with admin rights, and I can read/write outside of TI to the mapped drive. Running manually is fine. Running scheduled is where I get the user/pass error. The only credential that are supplied during a scheduled run are for a LOCAL account. That's what I don't get. If I supply a LOCAL account when scheduling, why would the error be "remote resource"

I've just opened up the folder to Everyone, and got the same error.

Brian

21. Acronis Support

Hello Brian,

Please note that when you open the folder to Everyone it means that you open it for every account on the computer where the shared drive is stored. When you schedule the task you should input the username and password for te user that has enough rights both to create the image of the local computer and to write image to the shared folder on the remote one.

If the problem still persists with this account please open shared folder properties, choose Sharing tab, click Permssions and create the screenshot of the opened window. Please send the screenshot along with the username you use to schedule the task to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and provide you with the possible solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

22. collisba

Hi Ilya,

Just sent off the email with the screenshots. This server is not on the same domain as the backup server, since it's an isolated web server. The drive mapped for backups was mapped with the same credentials used for the backup "user" section of the scheduled task.

When starting manually, it runs regardless if credentials are supplied in the "pass for remote resource" section, which makes me think that it's using the local windows credentials which do allow for full control.

When starting via schedule, it will not run even if credentials are supplied in the "remote resource" and "run as user" sections. I've tried using local admin, remote domain admin, and have made sure that the passwords are correct in each case. This used to work under 945, but stopped when I tried upgrading to 1124, 1143, and 1158. Reverting back to 945 didn't work either.

Thanks,

Brian

23. collisba

Sorry, just reread this portion. Since the server that I'm trying to image is not a part of the domain, I really have no way of giving rights to one account on both sides. The username/pass is the same, but the server\domain names can't be the same.

Even so, I have the drive mapped using a domain admin account. I can write to it. I can image if I don't schedule. The scheduler service uses a local system account to run, which should'nt have a problem writing to a mapped drive that is already present. When using an admin domain account for the schedule portion, I still get the remote error.

If what you're saying about the schedule account needing rights locally and on the storage server to run, why do we require 2 accounts at all.. one remote resource, one for scheduling if they really need to have the same rights? I'm getting a bit confused by this, because it was working, by using 1 domain account for the storage server, and another local admin account for the schedule part.

Brian

24. Acronis Support

Hello Brian,

Thank you for the clarification of the situation. Could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will keep an eye on how the investigation is going.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

25. collisba

Hi ilya,

The request # is 290089. Below is the reply that I got today, which isn't really encouraging. I'm having a hard time keeping the management here happy with TI... they're starting to think that the software is better left to the home user rather than enterprise.

Dear Brian,

This issue has been forwarded to our Development Team. We will let you know the results of their investigation as soon as possible. As this can take a few days, we apologize in advance for any delay with response.

Thank you.
    --
    Best regards,
    Dennis Kurochkin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.