unable to create bootable CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by djzinger, Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djzinger

djzinger Registered Member

After installing TI 8.0, I was unable to burn a bootable CD. I noticed two previous posts on this forum, where the suggestion in one was to burn to a cd-rw and then use it to copy to a cd-r. Although this suggestion worked for the user who posted the thread - it appears to me to be a work around to a problem that can be fixed.

When I couldn't create the bootable cd on on computer I tried another, no go, then another, success, and finally a fourth - good burn. Used the cds on the third and fourth machines that did not work on the first and second. They are good.

The first two machines contained drives make by TDK while the drive on the third computer is made by Plextor and the drive on the fourth machine is whatever drive Compaq puts in their generic desktop machines.

It would appear that the code expects to find something in the cd driver - return status from a call - that the TDK drives are not supplying - any thoughts. Should this be submitted to tech support? Is there something I can try - other than using cd-rws?

Thanks
    djzinger

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello djzinger,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Your problem can be resulted from a wide variety of factors.

If you cannot create bootable CD, please make sure you are using a blank unformatted CD-R or CD-RW disc, as other types of media cannot be used to create a bootable rescue CD.

Update any third-party CD-writing software installed on the computer to the latest version available for free on the respective web-site.

Also try the following workaround:

- Eject any disc from the CD burner prior to starting the application;
    - Proceed until the program asks for a disc and opens the tray;
    - Insert a disc and then click OK to close the tray automatically.

Please also note that you can try to create a bootable rescue CD in Windows Safe Mode.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. djzinger

Please read original post. CD-R's were blank and the brand was SONY. The fact that 50% of the time a bootable CD was created means that the software does work - sometimes.

Further the fact that both burners that didn't work were TDK's and were not the same model should start someone looking at how their drivers are implemented for Windows XP.

I appreciate your suggesstions but I've already spent time in just trying 4 different burners. I like your software and will continue to use it but to burn a bootable CD should be a no-brainer for the software. Of all the functions one might need when a drive goes south, the one to build a CD to restore your image would seem to be the one you want - you can never find the boot cd when you need it.

Thanks for your response but could you please reread the original post.

djzinger

4. Acronis Support

Hello djzinger,

Could you please let us know what error you get when try to burn the CD. The problem is unlikely to be in CD burners. Have you tried to create Acronis Bootable CD in Windows Safe mode (press F8 when Windows starts up and choose Safe mode to boot into)? Also please try to uninstall any CD burning software temporarily and burn Acronis Bootable CD after that.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello djzinger,

You don't say which O/S you're using but for Windows XP users who haven't installed InCD Version 4.3.11.1 or higher, another tip is to disable Windows' own drag-and-drop CD/DVD recording feature. Open My Computer, right click on the CD/DVD burner and select Properties. Select the Recording tab and uncheck the tickbox labelled "Enable CD recording on this drive".

Regards

6. djzinger

Dear Ilya - The message is - Error burning the bootable CD-R/CD-RW. No I haven't tried to burn the CD in Safe mode but will try. The drive works since I can burn CD's using Roxio 7.5. Since I can burn the boot CD using a different drive I hesitate to remove the software and then try to build a bootable CD - time to perform task is greatest impediment.

Dear Menorcaman - Window XP Pro SP1. Nero not installed, Roxio 7.5 is. The checkbox "Enable CD recording on this drive" is unchecked. Thanks for the help. Which brand of cd burning hardware do you use?

Again thanks to both of you for your time - it is appreciated!!!

djzinger

7. Acronis Support

Hello djzinger,

Please try to create the save version of Acronis bootable CD, please note that the safe version of the bootable image contains a bootable image based on DOS and only supports devices that have direct BIOS support such as floppy disk drives, CD-ROM drives, DVD drives and IDE hard disk drives.
    Could you please download, unpack and install the following file?

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/TrueImage8.0_cdlog_s_en.zip (Acronis True Image 8.0 Standard English)

After this please run the program, reproduce the problem and send the cdrecord.log file created in the \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\CDRecord folder to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread..

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  8. Menorcaman

Hi djzinger,

I have a Sony DRU-510A, which I use in conjuction with Nero Burning ROM 6 v6.6.0.14 and its associated UDF packet writing (i.e. drag-and-drop) application InCD v4.3.14.1.

The problem you are encountering is usually caused by some other application taking control of your CD/DVD burner before TI is able to. Known work arounds are:

1. Disable Windows own CD/DVD drag-and-drop recording capability.

2. - Eject any disc from the CD burner prior to starting the application.
    - Proceed until the program asks for a disc.
    - Open the tray, insert a blank CD-R or CD+/-RW disc and then click "Proceed" to close the tray automatically and start the recording process.

3. Boot into Windows "Safe" mode (F8 whilst Windows is loading) and create the rescue CD from there.

As you have already confirmed that you have disabled Windows own CD/DVD recording capability, it might be worth trying the other two.

With the greatest respect to Irina, her suggestion to try creating a "Safe" version of the rescue CD has no bearing on your inability to create a bootable rescue CD.

Regards

9. djzinger

Dear Irina and Menorcaman:

Well Menorcaman - statement of the obvious, by you, is always appreciated. Your statement "The problem you are encountering is usually caused by some other application taking control of your CD/DVD burner before TI is able to." caused me to to exclaim the world reknown DOH!! .

In my last post I mentioned that I was using Roxio as my cd burning software. Unfortunately, I forgot that there is also a program in this suite that is started on boot up called Roxio Drag-to-Disc, which acts like the cd burning function in Windows XP.

After stopping this piece of software I was able to burn a bootable cd without a hitch. To further test my stupid... er hypothesis I started the program, Roxio Drag-to-Disc, and tried to create a bootable CD. I immediately received the unable to burn error.

Going back in the thread I noticed that Irina had asked me to update any 3rd party cd writing software in her first post. Unfortunately, I didn't - the software was working and if it's not broke don't fix it. Irina, I'm sorry I didn't take your advice I just didn't see the need to.

The version of Drag-to-Disc that is on the computer is 7.0.0.162 and since I don't use it I'll probably only stop it from loading. Again my thanks to both of you. Menocraman always state the obvious - why is the problem occurring.

Regards,
    djzinger

10. Savtenet

Savtenet Registered Member

Came here just now for this very reason and I was able to create cd once I unloaded Drag to Disc.

11. Acronis Support

Hello djzinger,

We are glad that this issue has been solved. We are always at your service should you have any further questions.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

12. Menorcaman

I have never been a great fan of the Roxio CD/DVD burning software and have moved over to Nero Burning ROM and InCD. I find these to be far more compatible with True Image, especially the more recent versions of InCD.

If you search this forum for "Drag-to-Disk" you will see that this Roxio program has caused more than it's fair share of problems for a number of TI users!!

Regards

Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  13. Geekguy

Geekguy Registered Member

One thing I have found - for some reason, the application is very sensitive to "when the CD media" is inserted. I found that waiting until it ASKS for the CD insertion, then putting in media and waiting until the drive light goes out before clicking NEXT provides consistent and reliable formatting.

The times I didn't wait until the light went out (aka, media was recognized), error messages happened !

Hope this helps. "do what it says, when it asks", for best behaviour!

:eek:

14. jondoar

jondoar Registered Member

I have used True Image (or at least tried to) for some time since version 6. Creating bootable CD media has always given trouble - on many different sets of hardware and OS's. The exact moment that you insert the CD media is critical. I have never found a system that will not burn a boot CD if you get the timing right. Right-click & eject media seems to be a good start to make any other applications release control of the drive. Then click on the final OK box to create the boot CD, and at about the same second close the CD drive tray. You might need to do this 10 times, but eventually it will work.

There MUST be a software means of forcing applications to release control of a device. PC's that will not create Acronis boot media work just fine burning CD's using other software. So what's so hard about creating an Acronis boot disk?

This seems to me to be another basic and long-standing 'bug' that should have been fixed by now.

15. Acronis Support

Hello jondoar,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We appreciate your collaboration on this matter.

Please be aware that our Development Team is working on this issue.

They will try to find the most suitable solution in order to implement it in the future versions of a particular product.

Please also note that we have a special Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread for such requests.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

16. gatox

gatox Registered Member

Well folks I got the same problem with it : :mad:

PC : DELL XPS Pentium IV HT 3.0GHz, 2Gb RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro, 2x 160 SATA,.
    CD/RW: NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A
    WIndows XP Pro SP2
    Roxio v7.5 Easy Media Creator
    TrueImage v8.0 build 786 (have been upgrading since first version of 6.x)

1. I have unloaded Drag & Drop from ROxio
    2. I have disable drag & drop from the CD/RW properties
    3. Roxio is still installed
    4. Keep getting error : Error burning bootable CD-R/CD-RW.
    5. Same brand of CD-R for the last 3 years (TDK)
    6. Burner works flawlessly to burn data, music and videos on CD-R and DVD-R medias. (sometimes up to 3-4 medias a day).

What's next o_O remove Roxio ?

Best regards from Montréal.

Luis

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  17. Menorcaman

Hello Luis,

Did you try booting into Windows Safe mode and creating the rescue CD from there as mentioned in my post #8 above?

Regards

18. gatox

gatox Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman,

It works running in safe mode. Is this by design or a major bug on TrueImage ?

Hope Acronis take this problem into account and fixes it in a future release. Don't hear it very often that you need to be in safe mode to successfully run an application on Windows.

Thank you very much, Merci beaucoup, Muchas Gracias :cool:

Regards from Montréal,

Luis

19. Menorcaman

Hi Luis,

Glad you got it working when in Windows Safe mode. The problem is usually caused by the OS or some application preventing True Image from taking over control of the CD/DVD burner. It's a well documented (in this forum) phenomenon, which I would hope the Acronis Development Team are looking into.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.