Unable to boot windows XP after restoring image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by lostgirl12, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostgirl12

lostgirl12 Registered Member

Hey peepz,

I really need your help. I create an image of the whole hard-disk of a computer and tried to restore that image onto another using acronis. The problem is that the computers are of different configuration and therefore it crash. I was not able to go into Windows XP, even in the safe mode or last known configuration.

When I tried to boot it from a CD, I entered the Recovery Console. However it is unable to create or delete a partition because the screen state that the disk does not contain a Windows XP-compatable partition.

I tried to format the hard disk from the command prompt that comes out after I clicked R but was not able to do so because it said there is no specified path. I typed C:>dir, but there isnt anything there.

Can somebody advise me what to do?

Thanks

Farah K.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If you have a Windows installation CD, you should boot from that disk and perform an "upgrade in place" reinstallation of Windows on the second computer that won't boot. Here's the instructions:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

This should replace the HAL with valid drivers for your second system but keep all the programs and your data intact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.