Unable to boot windows XP after restoring image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by lostgirl12, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostgirl12

lostgirl12 Registered Member

Hey peepz,

I really need your help. I create an image of the whole hard-disk of a computer and tried to restore that image onto another using acronis. The problem is that the computers are of different configuration and therefore it crash. I was not able to go into Windows XP, even in the safe mode or last known configuration.

When I tried to boot it from a CD, I entered the Recovery Console. However it is unable to create or delete a partition because the screen state that the disk does not contain a Windows XP-compatable partition.

I tried to format the hard disk from the command prompt that comes out after I clicked R but was not able to do so because it said there is no specified path. I typed C:>dir, but there isnt anything there.

Can somebody advise me what to do?

Thanks

Farah K.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If you have a Windows installation CD, you should boot from that disk and perform an "upgrade in place" reinstallation of Windows on the second computer that won't boot. Here's the instructions:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

This should replace the HAL with valid drivers for your second system but keep all the programs and your data intact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.