Un-Install / which snapshot is left

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by screamer, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Has anyone completely un-installed FD-ISR? Ifso, which system snapshot were you left with?

I'm in the process of completely un-installing FD-ISR but it looks like it'll be a while for this process to complete. Perhaps 3 hrs or so.

I'm having major system problems and may have to re-install win XP. When I re-boot only certain apps / processes start. Some Icons do not appear in systry, but are listed in tskmngr as running e.g. outpost.exe. End Process does not work, neither does |Start| |Turn off Computer| I need to do a power off re-boot. When I click an icon only the first process completes. |Start| |Control Panel| it opens |Add Remove Programs| here it will hang. This is just an example, it happens w/ every instance. I did an XP repair re-install last night and my primary snapshot started doing this same stuff. I re-booted into secondary snapshot and things seemed OK. I tried to copy/update primary from secondary and it took 3+hrs and ran w/ 36errors. Wound up deleteing primary snapshot. In secondary snapshot (now active) Genie Back Up crys "System Volume Information missing" and won't do a sched. back up.

I inadvertantly ran a de-frag on my external USB and I -think I corrupted all my archived snapshots and system images. (not sure about ATI system images)

I plan on a clean re-install of FD-ISR, but I'm wonderingwhat I'll be left to work with? If my explanation appears convoluted, it's because I've been up all night screwing around with this.

BTW: after the XP repair re-install I saved a system restore point. Would it pay to sys restore and then re-install FD-ISR?

...screamer :doubt:

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You have a choice to leave your snapshots in place when you unistall FD-ISR.

That is an online backup service, correct? Don't you have a good backup online? I wouldn't want Genie to backup a corrupted hard drive myself. I would wait until the problem is fixed.

Make another snapshot from the secondary that you are now using if it is okay as you say.

Hopefully, with all your backups, ATI included, one of them will be okay.

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Whatever Snapshot that you are in when you unistall, that now becomes your c:drive.

Don't know about your System Restore question; I have it turned off because with FirstDefense, I have never needed it.

Acadia

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Screamer

I believe you will be left with the snapshot you uninstalled from. Uninstall shouldn't take anything like 3 hours.

First, get some sleep

Second, I don't see why defragging the external USB drive should damage stuff. I've done it with Perfect Disk. Defragging the big files takes a lot of time, and I don't think it worth the effort so I've stopped. But nothing was ever damaged.

Pete

5. screamer

Ron, Genie has an online back up service, but I back up to an external HDD.
    I found some info online about resurecting the Sys Volume Info, I'll try that and see how Genie reacts

Pete, It's been running since 7Am, it's now 9:45 and it's only up to C:\$ISR\2 of 4 :( I guess when the un-install is complete, I'll try the Sys Vol stuff and then try a sys restore and if all goes well, I'll re-install FD-ISR. If not, it may be time for a complete Win XP re-install :( :(

thanks guys :)

6. screamer

Un-Install finished. System was doing same stuff: icons not responding, incomplete instances... Turns out Sys.config was corrupt. Repair re-install won't work so I'm stuck doing a complete re-install of XP. I wouldn't mind it so much if this was a once in 6month deal, but I did a complete re-install on 062806.

I have an image that ATI made early this morning. Can I just copy files from there after install is complete or would I be better off starting everything from scratch?

7. Peter2150

You can get data files from the image, but not programs because of all the system installation issues.

One thing I'd do is somehow make sure you don't have any hardware issues. I have trashed my system so badly and FDISR has never failed to bail me out. Something messed up a bunch of stuff.

8. screamer

Thanks Pete, I think I may have a hardware issue. My machine lists my external HDD in device mngr. but not in Control Panel. Also, system won't shut dow w/o Power Off. Grrr... this is getting frustrating.

9. Peter2150

Oh that I can relate to. This stuff can drive you nuts. Good luck and keep us posted.

Pete

10. screamer

Win XP install went very smooth (fingers crossed) Pete, I did as you suggested and only copied data from ATI.
    It's amazing how much junk one accumulates. By manually adding apps I decreased the HDD size from 18GB to 8GB.
    Now all I have to do is figure out which program keeps corrupting the sys config file. Naturally I hope it's one I neglected to add :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.