UN calls for Internet Driver's Licenses

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Chuck57, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

This might be in the wrong place. If so, move or delete.

http://rawstory.com/2010/01/agency-calls-global-cyberwarfare-treaty-drivers-license-web-users/

By Agence France-Presse
    Saturday, January 30th, 2010 -- 2:35 pm
    Share on Facebook Stumble This!

UN agency calls for global cyberwarfare treaty, drivers license for Web users. The world needs a treaty to prevent cyber attacks becoming an all-out war, the head of the main UN communications and technology agency warned Saturday.

International Telcommunications Union secretary general Hamadoun Toure gave his warning at a World Economic Forum debate where experts said nations must now consider when a cyber attack becomes a declaration of war.

With attacks on Google from China a major talking point in Davos, Toure said the risk of a cyber conflict between two nations grows every year.

He proposed a treaty in which countries would engage not to make the first cyber strike against another nation.

"A cyber war would be worse than a tsunami -- a catastrophe," the UN official said, highlighting examples such as attacks on Estonia last year.
    Story continues below...

He proposed an international accord, adding: "The framework would look like a peace treaty before a war."

Countries should guarantee to protect their citizens and their right to access to information, promise not to harbour cyber terrorists and "should commit themselves not to attack another."...

"We need a kind of World Health Organization for the Internet," he said.

"When there is a pandemic, it organizes the quarantine of cases. We are not allowed to organize the systematic quarantine of machines that are compromised."

He also called for a "driver's license" for internet users.

"If you want to drive a car you have to have a license to say that you are capable of driving a car, the car has to pass a test to say it is fit to drive and you have to have insurance."

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Oh boy, the U.N becomes more irrelevant with every light bulb that goes off in their head. I can likely count on my hands the number of international treaties strictly adhered to, maybe not even that many, and they want a promise no one will attack each others infrastructures....right. Cyber-warfare has WAY too many benefits to not engage in.

You can do FAR more damage, and long-lasting damage by taking out power grids, power plants, dams, defense systems and you don't have to launch a single ship or plane, and not send one soldier out onto the battlefield. I won't even go any further due to its stupidity and the non-existent chance of any two nations agreeing to it if they have the means to carry it out.

Now, as far as "licenses"...I'm gonna pull a shocker here *drumroll*...I'm not against it.

3. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

I'd also be OK with "licenses", as long as they were anonymous ;)

4. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

To become a registered user of the internet, and if that did occur,...a levy/license/fee would inevitably follow. No thanks! :thumbd:

It would do nothing to stop those with illegal intentions...they would find the means to circumvent, whilst the law abiding majority would be saddled with an added impost.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

If only it worked that way, lol.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

*shrug* You're already a registered user of the internet to be quite honest. You can't even get online without being signed up with an ISP ( leaving library use and such out of it). A license to own a computer could be the same thing as using a car or a gun, you take a test/go through training, show your proficiency, and you get a license. Saying those with illegal intentions will find a way around it isn't a good argument against it. That's like saying people will illegally use cars and guns, it's an obvious thing.

7. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

8. Chuck57

NO thanks. I vote no on licensing.

It isn't about stopping anything. It's about Control.

Ever since the Internet was born and people began using it, politicians have feared it. People from all over the world chat and get along. Politicians fear that.

It isn't the people who start wars, it's the governments. The people just do the dying, while the Fat Cat politicians worry about not having enough caviar or good wine at their next party.

Licensing would just be a step toward eventual control. Sadly, that control wouldn't end with licenses. Everything would be controlled via a tax. Want to chat with someone on Skype, yahoo or another IM, that'll cost you a fee.

Freedom and government don't go hand in hand. Government fears freedom.

9. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Every society has its own definition of "illegal intentions", right? If using the internet required UN-issued licenses, how could dissidents remain anonymous? Indeed, given the pervasiveness of the internet, they're basically talking about a global UN-issued ID. May the gods of low-altitude satellite WiMax save us! Let us pray ...

10. Chuck57

The UN fancies itself a world government. In reality, many people consider it a world joke.

11. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

The way this would work is obvious: If you had an "Internet License" and said something that offended the sensibilities of the UN, say goodbye to your license. NO WAY! NO HOW! NEVER!

12. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Of course the UN wants to have a say in these matters.
    Organizations want to grow, that's a natural process.

A 'driver's license' would make access to the internet a privilige.
    It should be obvious that we don't want to go down that road.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Okay, so we make people get a license just to use the computer then, sound better? :D I don't care what any of you say, I'd LOVE to see that scenario...then again, some of us would be out of a job. I wouldn't worry much about offending the U.N and getting anything taken away or hauled off to jail. These are people that once in a while gather around a big table and make "resolutions" that they never enforce.

The U.N would make a terrible controlling force. They are a case of not only the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing, they often have trouble finding their hand to begin with. But, again, you already are a registered user of the Internet, and, in actuality, the Internet IS a privilege. After all, if you can't afford the monthly bill, you aren't getting in.

14. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

I recall Eugen Kaspersky proposed something like this a couple of years back.
    It wasn't wanted then, and it seems nothing has changed, but I can't understand the antipathy towards the UN. If it didn't exist then I'm sure most of the world would want something similar.

15. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

"a couple of years"-got that wrong. He did an interview with the Guardian(newspaper) also, which I can't find, however please see:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/16/kaspersky_rebukes_net_anonymity/

16. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

It has nothing to do with preventing computer attack problems, it is about global identification.
    It wouldn't surprise me if those behind this IDL push at the UN are funding and supporting computer attacks.
    "Create the problem, wait for the outcry, then offer the solution of your choosing."

Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura
    http://www.trutv.com/shows/conspiracy_theory/episodes/index.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX-GmtqgQJ0&feature=related
    If you get a chance to view, watch the episode "Global Warming".
    Pay attention to who they call the architect of "Global Warming con".
    This man had a lot of access at the UN, apparently.

Don't forget the UN's attempt to pass legislation declaring the oceans of the world under their exclusive control.
    Control the oceans and you control the trade.
    The one who stands to profit the most is the one who controls the middle.

If it ever looks like IDL's are going to become reality, I will join the underground resistance. Viva la resistance!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  17. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I can only agree. This whole thing is like a 'bad sci-fi movie.'

Edit: i meant, yet another 'bad sci-fi movie', because they just keep coming.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  18. ploder

ploder Registered Member

The UN can go to hell.

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

After a few days of thinking harder and doing more research on the subject, I don't have a choice but to admit my support for licenses of ANY kind regarding computers was not thought out well enough, and did not take into account enough my belief that global control is on its way and we need to do everything we can to delay it for as long as we can, through the power of our voices and votes.

I was wrong to support it. There is simply no way to enact such a measure without the severe risk of basic privacy loss at best, complete control over what you say and do on your own computer and the internet at worst.

20. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

Control, control, control, to what end I wonder?
    I hope that the globalizing robotic macro-neurotics never get their way, they have an insatiable desire to constantly control every aspect of life and existance. These propogators of war, propaganda, famine, fear uncertainty and doubt, distorters of humanity, killers of life, meaning and beauty are crippling the planet, marring everything they touch, dumbing down, castrating, negating, rolling forward, all consuming like a blind demented, voracious out of control machine,leading us all ultimately and inevitably down the road to chaos and insanity.

21. tsec

tsec Registered Member

It was only a matter of time before something like this was suggested.

"Cyber war"
    "Cyber attack"
    "All out war"
    "Declaration of war"

FFS - give me a break.

The fear factory is working overtime.

Drivers licence number - serviced by IPv6o_O?

Pffft

:/:thumbd:

22. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes, I agree with you. Governments have always feared the Internet because they can't control it. It gives anyone with a blog a voice.

As for licences... *falls off chair laughing* as I write this I'm mentally sticking two fingers up at the UN in a Harvey Smith gesture!

As for the UN, I think it stands for 'Utter Nerks'! o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.