Ultra light and simple firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ChrisP, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Im using windows Firewall with a NAT router at the moment (Wireless) - would I benefit from using a third party firewall or am I safe?

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

While it really comes down to personal preferences, personally i only use my router and windows firewall. A while back when i only had 1 computer on my network i had the windows firewall off and just used my router. But now that there's other computers on my network i've enabled it again just to be on the safe side. The windows firewall suffices for my needs, i don't need the possible hassles or conflicts of a third party firewall.

3. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Rising FW uses about 3.5-6 meg on my PC, and is super simple to use.

4. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Freeware? Please tell me yes! :argh:

With outbound control? Needed block some applications that try to connect to the web.

Please YES again! Link please. :D

5. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Yes, it is free. Make sure you click on the link for the firewall, not the AV (unless you want their AV also).

http://rising-global.com/Published/Download/Index.htm

6. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

there is quite a few free ones out there check this forum. run a search for free firewalls you would be amazed what it comes up with.

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

If you installed the applications, why do you want to block them from connecting out?

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

As to Rising FW -- there is a free version. Check THIS Wilders thread. Download from Tucows (moooo!), for instance. I suggest you image your system drive before trying ANY firewall.

I don't know what OP might reply, but I block several programs -- such as Internet Explorer because I only use it to access Microsoft for Windows patches.

Other examples include but are not limited to the following...
    I also block windows Help & Windows Search from calling home, which they try to do every time I use them. I also block wuauclt.exe from out-calls or even from running (no0t easy to do).

However, another good reason for monitoring outgoing is that doing so might enable me to block a keylogger or trojan from calling out. Granted, that sort of malware should NOT have gotten past my security apps or my *good judgment* but -- sh*t happens, wot?.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  9. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

There are not many reasons because an application had to connect, unless the av's updates. I want keep the whole control on my pc.

10. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

If you use all the stuff from your sig I would say definitely NO. Well you would benefit but you are already very very safe.

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Your sig mentions Outpost Pro (that is a FW) and SSM Pro (has outbound control) o_O

12. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Ah, yes, I installed Outpost for a few hours - but my PC slowed down too much.

I will probably stick with the Windows Firewall for the moment. I used BlackIce for years, but it wont work with the motherboard I have now - I get BSOD after a few seconds as it has some hardware firewall built in.

13. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

clocks and bellgamin, thank for your useful info. Rising Firewall is like I want: "Ultra light and simple firewall", effective and allows some control.
    I installed it and it seems very good for what I want. I was using PC tools Firewall that used 15-20 MB; Rising uses 5 MB. It is excellent. I don't notice any annoyance (I like GhostWall also, but it hasn't outbound control).

The problem? Perhaps it won't free forever... only 6 months o_O

Yes. I was using PC Tools firewall but now I can't install latest v. 4. In fact there are many - but the clocks'description is exactly what I want.
    E.g. some app. likes to do automatic updates without option to the user; other likes to send feedback info about it uses to their servers. Are they trustful? Yes but if I don't want to send any kind of info?

14. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Did OP say which Windows OS he is running? AFAIK, Kerio won't work with Vista.

16. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

You're already running an ultra light and simple firewall which is perfectly adequate. Especially as you're behind a NAT router. As you're wireless, just make sure you have encryption enabled on you're router. Preferably WPA2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.