UltimateDefrag v3 - is THIS the very best defragger ever?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by qazwee, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_sly_dog

the_sly_dog Registered Member

the_sly_dog - please open the installation directory and there you should find UDefrag.rpt file - please send its contents to me via PM. Thank you[/quote]

Isso

I`m sorry to be a nuisance but look i have not file by that (File) in my folder?? Does it matter that i`m only trying the trial edition and not the full version,
    Please see screenshot

Attached Files:

2. northtexas

northtexas Registered Member

I have a Vista64 system and just tried this defrag with UDv3 v3.0.100.15 and it took over 12 hours using the following perimeters...it only takes 3 hours using UT 2008 v2.0.0.55:

High Performance That Stays in Place- Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

1. Run UltimateDefrag

2. Select Tools=>Options

3. Under High Performance select the Files option

4. Locate the folder in which your Flight Simulator X was installed – usually within the Program Files folder. Click it across to the left hand pane

5. Ensure that this is the only folder that has been clicked across. This is the only program that will be positioned for High Performance in this run.

6. Select Respect Layout.ini

7. Select Very Fast Placement (Consolidate)

8. Select OK and then OK again to go to the main UltimateDefrag screen.

9. With this little run we are going to perform. All we are going to do is to place the High Performance files and then stop the defrag manually.

10. Select the Consolidate option and Select Options
    i. Select Place Directories next To MFT and "FragProtect" UDv3 only
    ii. DE-Select the Respect Archive option
    iii. Select the Respect High Performance option
    iv. Select the option to "Complete High Performance" Then Stop

11. Press Start to start the defrag and optimization process...I noticed a lot of non FSX files being moved around.

Also the UDv3 Fragmented Files Only option took 12+ hours (I stopped it at that point) and there were still over 400 fragmented files left while UT2008 takes only a few minutes and there were less then 10 fragmented files after it was done. Also noticed that when I use the Fragmented Files Only Option that UDv3 moved all my High performance FSX files away from the outer ring??

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi the_sly_dog,

I don't know whether this might help, but once I had the same error running UltimateDefrag 2008, and the error stopped when I disabled my anti-virus active guard.

I don't know what you are running, but you could try, if you have anything active monitoring, stop it and see if it works.

4. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Hi,

A remark about UD3 : when the auto mode is selected, after the defrag is done, UD3 says "Analyzed" instead of "Defragmented". Is this normal ?

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks Isso
    but if i set exlude this file from subsequent automatic defrags , ultimatedegrag will never defrag this file !

by the way with the FlagProtect OFF U3 is really very slow ,u2 is alot more fast in fast placement mode

best regards

6. the_sly_dog

I have officaly gave up on this defragger i disabled all my realtime protection and even booted to my seconded snapshot(fd-isr) still kicks up the same error...

tried .10 and the new version .15

What a 30day trial i had :blink::blink::blink:

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i am almost about to do the same thing my issue still not fixed. im about done with this. ive been waiting for ever for version 3 and it still does not do what i expected from it.

8. the_sly_dog

I Would of purcashed it lucky i tried it first

One good thing for you though at least you could defrag with it well nearly could i couldn`t even start my one:( :(

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  9. zfactor

yeah the only thing that really does not work still on a couple systems is boot time.

i have to say one thing i really like is how small it is and that there are no running procc's in he backround like with others like perfectdisk. and after a uninstall i only found a very small handfull of registry keys left over unlike perfectdisk and others. so im kinda torn on the issue.

another thing that does bother me is why the boot time only defrags certain files. why not do a full defrag at boot time like say puran defrag??

10. the_sly_dog

another thing that does bother me is why the boot time only defrags certain files. why not do a full defrag at boot time like say puran defrag??[/quote]

Not sure mate boot defrag doen`t work for me neither does windows defrag mode, plusi even tried it on my new netbook that defrags to 50% then freezes,

I even tried to unistall fd-isr incase that was affecting the defrag on my pc somehow same effect i guess it just doesn`t like my pc..

Puran Boot-defrag shaved 2 sec of my boot up time

windows vista x86 & windows 7 x64
    was 29sec after puran bootdefrag 27sec can`t beat the price either

11. MerleOne

I have the opposite experience. All has been working very nicely on several systems (XP mainly), defrag is fast as well as re-defragmentation after a few days, it's all I want.

I have tested just once the boot time defrag on an unimportant partition, so I cannot really comment much on this feature.

12. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Not trying to blame you, but you should have known that beforehand.;)

13. zfactor

why should he have known ahead of time?? do you mean from past experiences??

14. the_sly_dog

I`m confused what do you mean ??

15. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

In the event you're not aware, this thread was split from the following thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=152907

In order to save you some time, start reading from circa page 26 (the thread is ~38 pages long, IIRC). After having done so, I suspect you'll understand what DOSawaits means by "you should have known that beforehand". Short story = if it's true, as you wrote, that you have 'officially given up on this defragger', you have a lot of company.

16. the_sly_dog

I understand now :thumb::thumb::thumb: i never saw that thread

17. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I guess I have about 5 days or so left on the trial and I am a bit underwhelmed with v3 so far, not sure I can reach the critical enthusiasm level to shell out the $18 bucks. Haven't had problems with the boot-time defrag so far. I find the combination of "Setting" and "Options" tabs a bit confusing insofar as I'm never sure which settings on which tab take priority. I guess I could spend ALOT of time fiddling with this thing but that would just cut into my Wilders forum time.

Anybody else coming down to the line on the trial and what is your level of enthusiasm?

Big loud uvular fricative Wookie YAAAAWWWNNNN!

18. zfactor

the only thing i am very happy about is how small this program is and how little resources is seems to use also on removal it only leaves a couple reg keys to remove otherwise all is gone. i HATE defragers that run 4-6 procc's and even when not being used one's like perfectdisk run 2 even when not running the auto defrag they just sit there taking up resources.

but i agree with all the options im never sure which will overide which and which ones to pick each time based on the choice for the method of defrag etc..

19. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Some feedback and questions-suggestions:

0. Overall: I've now used UD3 on two computers since shortly after its release. Both machines use WinXP Pro/SP3. UD3 has worked well overall including boot defrags of system partitions and reasonable defrag times. (Note: I uninstalled Rolledback Rx for the time being for obvious reasons).

1. Minor issue 1: The estimated time for defrags jumps around and is generally inaccurate.
    Suggestion to Isso: Since UD3 already keeps a database of file changes, why not add info of previous defrag times and settings, and use them improve current estimates?

2. Minor issue 2: Database size and fragmentation
    The size of the database file has grown to over 130 MB on my laptop (vs. 13 MB on my desktop). Maybe it had something to do with the 1.5 TB external hard drive I analyzed or just frequent analysis runs of my system partition. Since it gets updated each analysis, it also always shows up as a big red blot on UD3's GUI; I know that it shouldn't matter, but it's an eyesore.
    Suggestion: Could you add some options to manage the database. e.g. max size, partitions to exclude, whether to exclude external hard drives (and does it take into account changes in external drive letter assignment?). Also, I'd like an option to defrag the database file automatically each analysis run so that it would show up blue.

3. Minor issue 3: Flash drive defrag problem
    I tried to defrag a 8GB MicroSD card on a generic SD USB card reader, but each time UD3 got about half way through it stopped defragging and ran an analysis of the drive instead. Also, the defrag time was over an hour (super slow compared to other defraggers and their SSD algorithms). To be fair, the drive was about 80% full including a 4 GB TrueCrypt file (but that file wasn't mounted and TrueCrypt wasn't even running during the defrag). I also use the drive as a BartPE boot disk so I thought it might benefit from a defrag.

4. Minor issue 4: Defrag settings do not carry over from a regular defrag to a scheduled defrag
    It would make sense for those settings to carry over. I only used the scheduled option so that UD3 would shutdown windows when done -- that option would be good to have in the main GUI window too e.g. a checkbox to shutdown windows when defrag is finished.

5. Question and request: Is it safe and/or recommended to defrag a system partition while it's offline? Will system files also be defragged correctly? Any chance you might offer a BartPE/WinPE plugin for UD3 (just an inf-file, not a whole PE boot disk - I wrote one for UD 2008, but so far I've been unsuccessful in doing the same with UD3; in fact UD3 fails to install inside my BartXPE).

6. About excluding files: I'd like the option to exclude files in the sense that they would get moved out of the way and generally ignored. I'm hesitant to straight out exclude them because if they change and are moved into the high performance area by some other process, then I want them moved out again. For example, consider a backup image file that I might keep for a week before updating or deleting it. I don't want UD3 to waste time defragging such a large temp file, but if it's in the way of high performance files, then I'd like UD3 to move it out of the way.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  20. mike42

mike42 Registered Member

I wonder if anyone heard something from Disktrix lately about Ultimate Defrag 3? I hoped there was an update due, but it's been a while now since I heard something from them.
    A shame, unlike others here I had basically no problems with the initial release (on WinXP SP3), apart from a few GUI and usability bugs.

21. zfactor

nothing here at all. i emailed them also with no response either.

22. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Yesterday i got a mail from them,yes version 3 is now available for download.

23. MerleOne

I think this recent discussion was about Disktrix not taking into account possible issues with this V3. They released just an update after the inital build, back in August.

24. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

You can dress a shepherd in silk but he will still smell of the goat.

25. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

+1 :thumb: :D:D:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.