UltimateDefrag v3 - is THIS the very best defragger ever?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by qazwee, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks Isso
    and this should be block ultimate defrag the move them?
    in the option ,exlude , i can't add them , can i?

by the way Isso may i ask a question? do you use ultimate defrag ;)

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2010202&postcount=288

he mentioned he uses defrag express

isso do you think v4 will ever get released lol. they sent out emails about it a LONG time ago now. was that before you left or did you not ever start working on v4? just curious i have a feeling this will be another v3 where it came out forever and a day later than they said it would

3. Isso

Isso Developer

zfactor,

Frankly I'm not sure when it's going to be released. I left when very little was done for V4. Even back then I wasn't controlling the release schedule. And now that another developer took over it, I really have no idea about it, sorry.

mantra,

Yes it should prevent UD from moving them from that point on.

I prefer DefragExpress. Only for boot time work I use UltimateDefrag.

BTW more on boot time - based on the description of both Auslogics and Puran boot defrag modules both seem to fall into first boot defrag category from my previous post. I.e. they are not able to move any of locked NTFS system files. It's safe to use them, but there is not much point in running them. Just a marketing feature as far as I can see. Both seem to be nice programs for online defrag though.

Another widely used marketing feature is so called "VSS-compatible" mode. The truth is that if you try to fully conform with VSS restrictions then you simply won't be able to defragment anything. So either the program should do nothing, or there is a probability of System Restore points to be lost.

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks Isso , but i guess defragexpress is not so powerful like ultimate defrag , i guess i can select folder or files to move in the high performance and other in the archive zone

i will test ud (to defrag such files),and yes it doesn't move these files
    but there is something odd
    i know it's a ultimate defrag topic
    but if you like you can test mydefrag running this script

Code:
    Title('defrag MFT and create 150mb reserved zone ')
    Description("defrag MFT and create 150mb reserved zone")   // 

/* Write the header to the logfile. See the "Settings.MyD" file for the
       definition of the "LogHeader" string. */
    WriteLogfile("MyDefrag.log","LogHeader")

/* Select and process the volumes one by one. */
    VolumeSelect
      CommandlineVolumes()
    VolumeActions

/* Write the "before" statistics to the logfile. See the "Settings.MyD" file
         for the definition of the "LogBefore" string. */
      AppendLogfile("MyDefrag.log","LogBefore")

/* Place files at 30% into the data on the disk. */
      MakeGap(5473152 * BytesPerCluster, DoNotVacate)

/* Zone 1: Place the MFT and some other special NTFS files. */
     FileSelect
        SelectNtfsSystemFiles(yes)
      FileActions
        PlaceNtfsSystemFiles(Ascending, 150MB)  /* Reserved zone of 150MB */
      FileEnd

/* Zone 2: Directories. */
      FileSelect
        Directory(yes)
      FileActions
        SortByName(Ascending)
      FileEnd
    my defrag defrags all the mft online moving @ the cluster 5473152 , folders and create a blank space of 150MB , at the reboot this blank space will become reservet zone
    so run the script and reboot

now after reboot , i run ultimate defrag and it removes my mft files
    i know it's odd but if you want to can try it

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  5. zfactor

just retested this on a FRESH installed win7 x64 and this is a msi laptop and for some reason even with nothing else installed i run the boot time defrag with even default options and i get a no boot scenerio where chkdsk needs to run and finds a ton of orphaned files and even after running can not boot into windows again till i repair the mbr and win7.. i reported this almost a year ago and the issue is still not fixed i guess. it is not the hard drive either since i have swapped the old drive twice with a new one.

also the issue of once ud is run on boot time if i uninstall it them try to run pd12 boot time or puran boot time they refuse to run.

i know you are not with them now isso but you may want to tell them they really should get someone on here to look at things like this since i know people here might be a bit more technical about these types of issues than on some other forums and other places. i would love to be able to use it but it drives me crazy that it seems mine as well as others here issues never got fixed / looked at hecj i never even received a single response from tech support from prob more than a dozen emails i sent about the issues but yet I DO receive emails about ud4 coming soon and for deals on ud3.. sorry to rant a bit but it drives me nuts when companies do that especially if its paid for software i would understand if it was free and they said use at your own risk etc but when i pay for software (and 3 lic's in fact) i never got a single response back even asking for more info etc. again not at all your fault isso just mentioning it in case you still has any contact with them i for one would not update or buy again when ud4 comes along and i know a lot of others who feel that way now..

6. Isso

Isso Developer

mantra,

I'll try to find time and check MyDefrag, however are you sure that is moves MFT? I'm asking because MFT cannot be moved online. I think there is some misunderstanding, that's why I asked you to post two screenshots - 1) after MyDefrag run, when MFT is ok, and 2) after subsequent UD run, when MFT is modified.

7. zfactor

i did want to add you are VERY cool to be still here giving advice for its users even though you do not work for them anymore. companies need more people like that!!

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes right
    mydefrag with that script can move the mft online, i know but i can , i did several times
    and ultimate defrag changes it , moving some files and re-defrag the mft

try my defrag with that script , reboot
    and run ud

thanks

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi zfactor
    i know it's off topic
    but could you try mydefrag(there is a portable version too) with my script online ?
    is the zone/place of the partition where you want to move the mft

is the size of the reserved zone
    you can change the bold value
    run my defrag with this script and reboot , it perform all the operation online , during the reboot windows itself resizes the reserved zone

it's safe ,could you try it?
    thanks
    cheers

10. zfactor

for me mydefrag only moved part of the mft while online it left pieces scattered in various places. it did move some to the new location but left some near the front of the drive so im not sure..

11. Isso

Isso Developer

zfactor,

Sorry for this boot time bug. Boot time feature of UD is the only one that was not developed by me, so I'm not well aware of its potential problems.
    What makes it very difficult to fix this kind of bugs is they are very hard to reproduce. Ideally the developer should have the image of the volume to debug the program. So I was wondering if it's a fresh installed OS, and doesn't yet have personal information on it, would it be possible for you to send the image of that volume for tests? If it's easy I could perhaps try and fix it, if not - with your permission I could send it to Disktrix for their review. If this is possible please contact me via private mesage.

12. psi2003

psi2003 Registered Member

Re: UltimateDefrag - is this the best defragger ever?

Isso,

Develop by you or not?

13. zfactor

Re: UltimateDefrag - is this the best defragger ever?

let me backup then reinstall and the try again, i already restored the image from before wiping it. ill get with you in the next day or so as soon as i have time to mess with it again.

14. mantra

mantra Registered Member

it doesn't happen to me
    it moves all mft files outside mtf log , but i guess i can do it running mydefrag from a winpe cd , like active boot disk

sorry i wasn't useful

by the way , let's back to talk about ultimate defrag

15. Isso

Isso Developer

mantra,

Sorry I was not clear. There two parts of boot time defrag- high level and low level. Originally both were developed by third party. A while ago I completely redesigned the high level part. Low level mainly remained untouched, and it's mostly responsible for file moving errors. Hope now its clear.

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Maybe we should open a new Topic/Thread on DiskTrix's latest release and more specifically the "Brand New" ground breaking feature of physically dragging a file or folder of files "DIRECTLY" onto "user's choice" position about the disk.

I have to say in all honesty that masterful new innovation is absolutely mind blowing :eek: by any stretch.

Nice! :thumb:

EASTER

17. supraseed

supraseed Registered Member

I think I'll hold off purchasing UD til v4 is released

18. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I see your point Easter, but with the hype over V4 coming "soon", perhaps that's a better break point?

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Agreed!

We're not done yet :cool:

20. OddGentleman

OddGentleman Registered Member

Directories + MFT issue

Hello anyone using UD. Need help here! I can't get my directories close to MFT. Used different defrag methods, cheked/unchecked different options and still no luck.

Generally I use AUTO defrag with these options http://s003.radikal.ru/i202/1203/c8/a29b35990cb3.jpg

otherwise FRAGMENTED FILES ONLY or CONSOLIDATE with theses options:
    http://i066.radikal.ru/1203/0a/f7ea9ab0f8e1.jpg

and these settings http://s018.radikal.ru/i527/1203/6a/fadec6daa8f0.jpg

My metafile placement is as follows:
    http://s018.radikal.ru/i506/1203/96/6a8617b44875.jpg

and that's what I get:

*marked "directories" with bright red to see clearly

http://s018.radikal.ru/i508/1203/0d/2933c15b6a48.jpg

those "directories" NEVER move to any other place

Thanks for any feedback.

21. Isso

Isso Developer

Re: Directories + MFT issue

OddGentleman,

It' because you specified $MFT to be right at start of the volume. UD tries to place the directories just before $MFT, and obviously there is no free space there.

22. OddGentleman

I see. Thanks. I could move MFT but how do I know the exect amount of space needed by directories and what if it changes (guess it does)? I would not want any files stick between in gaps during any further defragmentations and writes to disks. What would you advise me? Thank you.

23. Isso

Isso Developer

Since the space occupied by the directories changes all the time I'm afraid there is no way to know an exact size of the gap needed. So I would suggest just to place your MFT at least several GBs further from the start of the volume. That way the performance of MFT will remain pretty much the same, but there will be enough space for directories.

24. OddGentleman

Will do that way. Thanks for help, - sure enough I wouldn't have figured out that thing about directories on my own.

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I run into that same prob before, only to find out it was the heavy population concentration of data that actually got in the way, in other words, my bad. :rolleyes:

I find it strikingly ironic how many users, including myself, have untill recently been left totally blind to the ordinary defraggers claim of great expectation only to find now that theres always been room for a vast increase of performance as well as preserving our disks longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.