UltimateDefrag - is this the best defragger ever?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by OliverK, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Ok, i will give this one a try. Any suggestions regarding defrag method for following situation.

- One hard disk.
    - partition 'C' stores only Windows, pagefile, programs and their perfils in case of Opera for example (no documents, etc)
    - partition 'D' stores only documents, etc. (no programs or executables, etc.)

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The UltimateDefrag folks would suggest removing the 2nd partition.

3. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

You are joking, aren't you?
    If that's their opinion i won't comment it, because i could forget my good education.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I can´t drop partitioning (security, order and ease of maintenance) for performance gains. Almost every above-average PC user has two or more partitions
    It´s a nonsense for me

5. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

LOL it is ok to partition, they just explain why a partitioned hard drive will loose some performance (by nature so to speak, regardless of what defragger you use). Its your choice. There is always a price to pay :)

If anyone is interested in the inner works of hard drives I recommend their help file. Very informative

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Why not just limit myself to only 5 apps, none of which is allowed to exceed 5K? That should speed things up even more.:cautious:

That's my sardonic way of saying that UltDef's suggestion is (in my opinion) patently absurd.

7. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

That looks pretty cool, but I already purchased Diskeeper 9 Pro a while back so I'm gonna stick with that one for a long time. I've set it to defrag when the screensaver starts so it won't bother me when I'm working on my pc :)

8. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Ok, ok, so back to my question. Assuming that i don't remove my second partition, don't uninstall Windows (would it make my PC faster?) which method is recommendable in my case.

- One hard disk.
    - partition 'C' stores only Windows, pagefile, programs and their perfils in case of Opera for example (no documents, etc)
    - partition 'D' stores only documents, etc. (no programs or executables, etc.)

9. Peter2150

My only point was they say that a partition moves stuff to slower parts of the disk. I don't partition, but not for that reason. Honestly I doubt if I could measure the difference either.

10. Peter2150

One point for all the folks who are considering switching to this defragger, and I mentioned this to Rob.

They have a 10 install activation limit. Granted most people would never need this, but I just don't see the point. Heck Raxco doesn't limit you in any way as far as install/reinstall.

This might not be a negative, but just be aware. Actually I'd tell them you don't like that, and they might change if they hear it enough.

Pete

11. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Thanks for the info Peter2150. I am still evaluating it, but it is good to know such things before buy (ie read the eula, which I dont always do :) )
    I dont like "copy protection" like that. I like to pay for all my software since I think that developers of good software should have the money. This kind of protection is just annoying for us who pay, not for the crackers :(

I wonder if such protection actually do anything at all (other than make people like me hesitate using that software)? I´ve seen quite a few software that has this kind of protection, but still they get cracked.

12. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

After some days of using it, I must say that Ultimate Defrag became my favorite defragger, because of its quality and efficiency.
    It really speed up my system...

I already their suggestions, and I agree with them, except to the one about to not use partitions.

I will not remove all my partitions, but I will only have two when I can...
    One for Windows and Programs, and other for personal data.

14. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i agree with sukarof, the help file was quite informative and interesting to read.

15. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    UltimateDefrag is just a new kid on the block...:D maybe it looks and sounds amazing and also performs great and will really can improve pc performances...but it is just in its version 1? o_O

I doubt if I can already trust this defragmenter...maybe I have to wait for their next version...it could be more better, I guess..:rolleyes: ;) and will fix some problems if there's any that they can find or the customers users can possibly find. :D

16. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

If you see the way you can defrag and improve your system with it, you will see that the version number doesn't mean nothing compared to others defragger... ;)

17. sweater

Maybe you are right, but still, for me...version numbers is very important. Coz I don't like to become a lab mice...I am not techno and my pc isn't design for experimental purposes. :D

I am sure next versions will be coming soon...and new improvements will be implemented..of course with the requests or problems that might surfaced unexpectedly. Hhmmn...even if this defragger looks awesome I am sure this is not perfect. :cautious:

18. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Well i defrag normaly with O&O in name order.
    Done a defrag with UD in the suggested way and i can't see any improvement against the method of O&O.

19. sweater

He, he, he...my O&O Defrag Pro also defrags the way I want it to do. It does its job perfectly in the right manner... and improves my pc performance as oks as it is. :cool: I uses the manual space method when it gets into nearly 10% fragmetations ...and it defrags fast. ;)

20. Basic

Basic Registered Member

funny thing about ultimatedefrag and rollback rx pro is when I defrag using ultimatedefrag I lose approx. 500 megs of space on my hard drive. to get the space back I then have to defrag the snapshots using rollback rx built in snapshot defrag.

now I like ultimatedefrag. it seems to get the job done well and it is not a multi-meg install like diskeeper. also takes up less space than o&o defrag and perfectdisk. it also does not install any back ground services that I know about.

now I read somewhere on here that if rollback rx is installed then you should not defrag. so far I have not seemed to mess things up by defragging other than the issue with the extra space.

does anyone happen to know what rollback rx files I should exclude from the defrag proccess?

21. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

If you try to understand what you can do with UltimateDefrag, you will see why you can have better results with it...

And my previous defragger was O&O Defrag Pro...

22. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

the $ISR directory

23. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Well i configured UD regarding the suggestions of their tutorial. Perhaps i don't recocnize a speed improvement because i have allready a fast machine, don't know. But at least here, no difference which i can see with my blanc eye or a normal clock.
    The only advantage for me could be the small program size and that their is no background task running. But that's not worth to purchase a second defragger.

24. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

With UD you can put the frequently used that on the fast Outer Tracks, and the rarely used data on the slow Inner Tracks.
    Besides better performance, you can also have a fast defragmentation...

Can you do that with O&O Defrag?

Other thing is the fact that you don't have to have a service running to use the defragger...

25. Peter2150

There is no $isr directory with Rollback, it is with FDISR. I trialed UD, with no exclusions for any FDISR stuff, and there was no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.