UltimateDefrag - is this the best defragger ever?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by OliverK, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Yes, I vote for that too !!

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yeap, would be very nice... :)

3. Dan_Aykroyd

Dan_Aykroyd Registered Member

Sorry if this've been asked before, but what would be the best arrangement for the boot time module? I defragged with the default that the program shows, but I don't know if it's the best...

Can you please confirm me this? Thanks!

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Isso,

The current version of UltimateDefrag works well in Windows 7?

Regards

5. Isso

Isso Developer

Dan_Aykroyd,

The default boot time defragmentation layout has been found to be the optimal for most of the users. If you have any specific requirements you may try other arrangements too, but I don't think you'll get significant performance increase compared to default layout.

6. Isso

Isso Developer

rdsu,

I've made some preliminary tests using Windows 7 RC and haven't found any problem. So (not officially) - yes UltimateDefrag works under Windows 7. Moreover I have a feeling that it's working slightly faster than on XP and Vista.

DefragExpress is officially supporting Windows 7.

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Glad to hear that! ;)

8. jarik

jarik Registered Member

Short answer: not if you value your data!

Like many contributors to this thread I was wowed by UltimateDefrag's user interface and as well as for its ability to move so-called immovable files. After purchasing it and running the boot-time defrag on Windows Vista, I started getting strange errors. It turns out that UltimateDefrag (...2055) corrupted around 200 system files in my NTFS file system. I sent 3 support emails to the company over the next week with no reply (despite receiving plenty of junk email from them). Finally after wasting much too much time trying to find a solution on my own without much success (none of the standard tools such as chkdsk, sfc, Vista rescue disk, etc. could do anything about it) I requested a refund, explaining why I was asking for the refund. I got a fairly prompt reply acknowledging the refund request, once again showing that Disktrix was receiving my email.

So, bottom line, if you want to deal with a company whose idea of support is to ignore customers with serious problems and if you want to take a chance on software that may permanently corrupt your NTFS file system then UltimateDefrag is the tool for you!

9. MerleOne

Just out of curiosity, how to you know those 200 system files are corrupt ? Do you have a special technique/procedure to be identify those who are faulty ?

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  10. jarik

jarik Registered Member

MerleOne,

You are right in assuming that I didn't necessarily catch all corrupt files caused by Ultimate Defrag. The main symptom that disrupted my system was an "Error 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." which popped up when a program tried to use the file or when I attempted to delete or rename the offending files.

To find files with this type of corruption
    1) run scf /scannow
    It reports that it could not fix all errors. Scan the log file for these errors.

2) run dskchk (at boot time or from a rescue disk)
    It reports no errors. [Can't say why, but at least you know the disk isn't bad.]

3) Write a script that tries to access file properties (eg. is it readable) for every file on disk or just to open each file for reading. Again, it will report Error 0x80070570 for certain files (or report that the file is not readable). I wrote a program in R. A real scripting language (Perl, perhaps) would be better for general consumption.

Confirm the original symptom in the files discovered in the previous steps. If windows reports that you don't have permission, it may be ok (or search the web for how to give yourself permission). If it reports Error 0x80070570 then you know you've been Ultimately fragged!

(Check your event log, to confirm that these errors started happening immediately after running Ultimate Defrag boot time module.)

It's quite possible that Ultimate Defrag corrupted other files without making them inaccessible. Hopefully scf caught those on the system files... Harder to say for data files, though.

11. MerleOne

Thanks for the explanation. Some comments below :

1/ You mean chkdsk instead of dskchk ? It's really strange that there is no error reported.

2/ Sometimes, you can also be warned by using windows disk defragmenter in analysis mode, it sometime catches error better than chkdsk, al least faster.

3/ scf is IMHO to be absolutely avoided : I tried it several times on a system where I had random BSOD. After a scf scan the system wouldn't even boot. I guess scf is too simple to recognize an updated system file from a damaged file. The only workaround are either Windows system restore, or any system disk image from which you can restore, and of course full reinstallation, which I have always avoided.

4/ To track down corruption, there is an excellent way, but it has to be prepared in advance. I am referring to "fingerprint" from MJL Software, or any equivalent. See http://www.2brightsparks.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=29

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Isso,

Do you know if the problem with offline defrag that I had, on page 23, and also had today again, is fixed in UD 2009?

Can you reveal the new features and improvements of it?

Can I set UD to work like the SMARTPlacement method, of PerfectDisk?

Regards

13. Isso

Isso Developer

rdsu,

Offline defragmentation module is developed by other team and frankly I know nothing about it - sorry. I only know that they promised to fix the current issues.
    Regarding new features - I'm not sure if I should reveal them, I'll ask the management.

I think the closest method to SMARTPlacement is following: "Consolidate" with "Respect High Performance" and "Very fast placement" checked. In the "Options" select "Automatic" for High performance and set 20% of "Most frequently used data". Choose "Very fast placement" there too.

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Isso,

Thanks. Hopes you can reveal something... ;)

The PD method seems great to avoid big time defragmentation and also have a good performance and free space consolidation, but I also UD because I can put files in inner tracks and directories close to MFT.

PD also have a more stable offline defrag.

So if I can have the best of both... :)

Regards

15. mantra

mantra Registered Member

by the way ultimate defrag is very slow moving defraging big files like 5Gb
    and often continues to move such files without defrag them
    i'm use 2008.48 because the version with boot defrag is buggy

16. Isso

Isso Developer

mantra,

If you experience slow movement of big files you might have some programs that write files to HDD and prevent correct placement of big files. I.e. UD may make free space to move a file there and meanwhile another program writes to that space. For example internet browsers write lots of files during browsing, many programs staying in the tray do the same too (Skype for example).
    So you might try to close all programs during defrag or better defrag in safe mode and see if it helps. If not - let me know and I'll try to find the reason.

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Yes it does. I performed a direct upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Win 7. Opening the desktop for the first time and starting UD it didn't work. After uninstalling and reinstalling it, it worked very well.

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The File System is the same, so it should work well... :)

Thanks for your report ;)

19. nickster_uk

nickster_uk Registered Member

Hi..

I'm currently trialling Ultimate Defrag 2008 and so far i'm pretty impressed with the features. It's a little too early to say whether it will live up to its promises but i'm definitely impressed with the defrag speed so far.

I have been a user of PerfectDisk for a few years and have been pretty happy with it, but with each new release, it seems the defrag takes even longer...although the GUI is pleasing on the eye. Although i'd happily sacrifice the aesthetics for some speed any day.

Will continue my trial for now...

20. icr

icr Registered Member

I too use ultimate defrag 2008 it performs faster defrags also has many types of options regarding type of files placement we want:thumb:

21. jarik

jarik Registered Member

MerleOne,

Yes, chkdsk, that's what comes from late-night writing.

Tried windows disk defragmenter in analysis mode but it just said my disk is dirty. No doubt because Ultimate Defrag sullied the file system. Haven't had time to run a new chkdsk to see if it can clear the dirty FS.

Had no trouble with scf. Perhaps microsoft fixed it? However, you could also run it in verify-only mode just to be safe.

Could not find a downloadable link at the site you mention or Fingerprint/MJL (or whatever they call themselves now).

What really frost me about this whole thing is Disktrix's customer-be-damned attitude. I've purchased a variety of "micro-company" (i.e. sole proprietor or so) software products and despite the inherent risk in relying on a single person to continue/provide support, I've never before experienced the complete "customer disdain" shown by Robert Ferraro (and co.?).

22. MerleOne

I'll try to upload it somewhere and PM you the link (just recall that to me if you don't see anything coming). It seems they stopped development.
    Or you could use CDCheck, a multipurpose file verifier that is very quick and works well on HDD. Go to http://www.kvipu.com/CDCheck/ (free for personal use I think).

23. nickster_uk

nickster_uk Registered Member

I'm enjoying the program so far. It has some great features but does take a little bit of tinkering to get used to it..although the help file is extremely helpful.

The only downside is that i'm not able to test out the boot defrag option as it's not available in the trial mode. That's a huge shame as judging on what it says it can do, it could be the deal maker or breaker for me.

24. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

After a week using PerfectDisk (PD) I felt that I loose the better performance that I had with UltimateDefrag (UD).

I would like to see a few things, besides the current issues fixed, on the next version of UD, like:

1. An option to "Move Directories close to MFT" in "Fragmented Files Only", like mantra suggested.
    2. Improve the Scheduler to define Offline defrag.
    3. On Scheduler, an option open UD minimized to System Tray, and close it when defragmentation finish.
    4. Auto Defrag feature, to Defrag, using the choosen method, when System is Idle and use low CPU.
    5. Defrag USB and Firewire Hard Drives, and USB Flash Drives.
    6. Possibility to define wildcards to set directories like "?:/Windows/$*"

Isso, do you think this will be possible?

Regards

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  25. Isso

Isso Developer

rdsu,

The development is in progress, so yes I think it's possible to implement most of the items you mentioned. I've added them to my todo list. I'll talk to the management and if I get the approval the new version will include these features.

By the way I welcome everybody to post their feature requests here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.