UltimateDefrag - is this the best defragger ever?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by OliverK, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

You misunderstand how diskeeper works.
    Diskeeper has a service that runs in the background which ONLY is for defragging. It determins which FILES are most frequently used by looking at the file stamps. It does't monitor processes.

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I don't think I did. The "optimize" button invoked an altogether different background process from the "defrag-as-you-go" process. System Safety Monitor was very much aware of the difference between the 2 processes, and whispered in my ear accordingly.:ninja:

In any event, what I seek is a *reasonably priced* defragger that gives the user the option to list those processes which s/he uses most frequently.

Now THAT's just what I'm looking for. If you drop the price to around $20-$25 & it will become very interesting indeed. With 3 excellent FREE defraggers, your price is a bit high for a newcomer IMO.

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

And this magic works on FAT32 too, right?

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Just be aware, there may be a conflict with this defragger and FDISR. I tried excluding $isrbin (the setting was very easy) but using the recommended defrag approach it hung on that file. I stopped it and removed the exclusion, and it still hung there.

I reported this to Rob, and offered to help. We shall see.

I like the graphic of this program, and I very much agree with the theory. But I am not sure in practice it will bear out based on my early test. Time will tell, if I can get a FDISR friendly version

5. Rob_F

Rob_F Registered Member

Absolutely works on FAT32. The only thing it doesn't do is to place Directories next to MFT since FAT32 files system does not have a Master File Table.

All other principles apply.

6. Rob_F

Rob_F Registered Member

Thanks for your feedback on the pricing. We're finding that most people think that $39.95 is a very reasonable price - many say they would pay more. Our pricing is in line with pricing of all the commercial defraggers. This product took 18 months of development and well... we have to pay our programmers who coded this software.

We're not twisting your arm to buy and if you are happy with the free defraggers then that is your prerogative. It all depends upon what the performance is worth to you.

As an FYI, the ones you mention do only defrag fragmented files. The free Windows defragger at least also compacts your files so if you wanted a better free defragger than the ones you mention then use the Windows defragger.

UltimateDefrag is not just a defragger. It's more of a drive optimizer. We can do what the free ones do (better and faster) and a whole lot more. As we state - there's a whole lot more to defragging than just defragging.

Another FYI, the AusLogics program took 3 minutes to defrag a drive with 2 small fragmented files. Ours did in about 15 seconds - from Analysis to completion.

Thanks
    Rob
    DiskTrix

7. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Rob_F have you done some performance tests between your and the well known defrager as O&O, PD, DK, etc.
    Results regarding PC performace before and after executing the different defrugger would be very interesting.

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I have used both free and commercial defraggers before and this is the ONLY one that has noticeably "speeded up" any of my computers. Further, this observation was seen on a brand new laptop!

Price, IMHO, seems very reasonable and comparable to other commercial defraggers. For example, I also have a license for VoptXP which is $40 and PerfectDisk is also pitched at the same level. This price for UD is a one off payment for all versions 1 and UD as mentioned seems to do a lot more than defrag files.

No problems with FirstDefense so after the trial period I will probably purchase this program.

9. wilbertnl

Perfect Disk 7 defrags the FAT32 directories in offline mode, that is during reboot as subsystem. I do notice a significant performance improvement after directory maintenance.
    Is Ultimate Defrag also optimizing the directories?

10. wilbertnl

Here is another free defragger that doesn't install any service: O&O Defrag 2000 Free.
    Just in case you would like colored blocks dance around at Christmas. ;)

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Wow, BC -- you must have a money tree in your front yard. Could I have a seedling, please?:D
    Nice link. I do collect freebies -- for the folks who frequent my websites.

Thank you for the tip, sire. How 'bout them OSU Cowboys? :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  12. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

All gone!!!! :D My kids have taken all of them!

I don't mind paying out the bucks for a one off payment and although Defraggers are not on the list of essential software, any programs that speed up my systems are definitely worth a look at.

13. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Rather surprising to me but this does look very good .....

It has problems with First defense from peter's post?
    anyone tried it with rollback RX?

14. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

hi. thanks for the note. till then, it wont touch my hd.

15. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

Thanks for posting it, worked awesome on my system :D

oldmx

16. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

You should never use defragmenters with RollbackRx due to it using it's own file system, rather than the Windows file system. This may change in the future though.

17. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Interesting. As I mentioned before I have defragged my c: drive, I defragged without excluding $ISR folders and then defragged it after I excluded $ISR folders - no problems. The only difference seems to be that I excluded all the folders under $ISR, you excluded only the $isrbin file.

18. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Has anyone had success using this defragger with FD-ISR and just excluding the $ISRBIN folder?

19. Peter2150

Yeah, but excluding the $ISR folder means a whole snapshot isn't being defragged. I don't know, there are things I liked about UD, but I really didn't see any performance increase, and Perfect Disk is working great so....

20. sukarof

That is true, but as I mentioned earlier, I did also defrag my drive without excluding the $ISR folders. Is there any special reason why one should exclude only the $isrbin file or its parent folder (setup) from the defrag?

I might mention that I did defrag the whole drive by mistake initially.
    I simply forgot to exclude the folders beloning to FDISR (ie $ISR folders) :)

21. Peter2150

Well in theory the reason to excluld that file is that is the file the MBR code points to, and it used to be moving it would case the preboot to go away for one boot. That may not be the true any more.

Curious what other defragger you've been using. I use Perfect Disk, and to be honest, this program seems slower, and I couldn't measure any difference.

But in all fairness I was trying on a disk only 5% full and on a fast machine. I'll be very interested in your results.

Pete

22. sukarof

I have perfectdisk 7 as my main defragger. As always with software that claims to boost things, they tend to have a psychological element built in ;)
    I dont know if that is the case here but after choosing what folders/files to put on the outer side of the disk (in the hard drive) I do notice some increase in speed of loading those apps. Now I dont know if that alone is a reason to buy this defragger, but I like it so far. Just a feeling, I like the interface and it is relatively easy to understand what it is doing and why.

Thanks for the info in the $isrbin file. i didn´t know about that (ignorance is bliss :D ) but with the methods I have used that seems not to be a problem - so far, the preboot works fine.
    I will try to do it your way and only exclude the file and see what happens.
    My drive is 2/3 full btw. I have 7 snapshots. Compressed and not compressed.

23. Peter2150

With a drive 2/3 full you might indeed see a difference. My oldest machine the drive is only 1/4 full, and on the new one only about 5%, so I probably won't see the impact.

24. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Tried it like it alot amazing such a small install low resource program can do. Im a hardcore gamer, it makes my games launch about 2-5 seconds faster depending on the game. I didnt really mess with the features just kept everything at default auto. Im using diskeeper 9 currently and ran a defrag after using UD just to see what changes UD had done and like it said it moved the files to the outer areas of my disc for performance, I think this is a good defragger.

25. osip

osip Registered Member

No problems to compare UltimateDefrag with DK if you have the aut. defrag off,...Well,considering even to uninstall lic.DK...However, no need to rush,no compatiblity issues seen so far...Very interesting indeed!*puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.